1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

NH: 2020 proprosed bill titles [LSRs] are now on line

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by design, Sep 7, 2019.

1. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

True...I didn't see that until you brought it up.

2. jpk

jpk

Sorry to say that Mass gun owners allowed this to happen by not having enough people active and enguaged

Its the same way Mittens was allowed to be the GOP nominee for Gov in Mass as well as Senate in Utah

3. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce NES Member

Fair answer. There needs to be a legislative way to deal with this. On a battle field it blows to be the defender because all you can do is react to the attacking force
    until you can get squared away enough to move forward. We need a plan, we need to get organized. The opposition is better organized they show up in their "game jersey's"
    and they speak out. We are mostly individualists who value that position. However in this context we need to come together or we will lose.

4. jpk

jpk

We have a legislative solution.....turn out and vote

Problem is getting people to get off their arses and making an effort

Mother Deuce likes this.
  5. Qwikdraw45

Qwikdraw45 NES Member

Much like the Irish. Wonderful fighters, but as a culture they were trained/expected to fight as ferocious individuals. Which works great until you engage troops like the Romans, who were trained as one tight knit group.

timbo and Mother Deuce like this.
  6. Lucas McCain

Lucas McCain

We can't count on Gov. Chris to continue to save our rights! Go to the statehouse whenever there is legislation and go vote!!!

Mother Deuce likes this.
  7. jpk

jpk

To your point.....this is why all of us need to volunteer to help the 2020 GOP candidates win here in NH........and ensure that Sununu gets re-elected

If we cant re-elect Sununu after he vetoed all of those bills it will send a message.....and not a good one.

We also cannot afford to leave any seats in NH House unchallenged.....in 2018 there were something like 25 seats with no GOP candidate to run against a Donk.......so we in essence gave them those seats

8. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I feel you're making the mistake that you claim I'm making.

If there are 4 people to be elected to a single district, and there are 10 total names on the ballot (whatever combination of R/D/L/G/I), no one's franchise is taken if a voter finds zero, two, five, six, even nine of those candidates acceptable and worthy of the office, and checks every acceptable name on the ballot. The entire ballot is the voter's "one vote".

The winners are those with the highest number of votes cast for them -- just exactly as it is today.

The only real change would be an end to strategic voting, where you vote against candidates by voting for someone you don't support, but who you think can win.

cf. The 2016 Presidential Election, for a perfect example of people voting out of fear of the other side winning.

strangenh likes this.
  9. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Absolutely not. Voter initiatives produce some of the worst laws.

And just like has been seen in Maine and Mass when it comes to cannabis legalization, the voter initiative produces a law that is just like any other law: it can be screwed with by the legislature and screwed over by the executive.

I might support a voters' veto, which lets the voters overturn a law passed by the legislature. It would have to be carefully crafted.

42!, strangenh and Mother Deuce like this.
  10. strangenh

strangenh NES Member

100% right, Craig.

Majority rule isn't liberty. It's "pure democracy," which is a great soundbite but is the same thing as mob rule - 51% voting about what happens to 49%. Or famously and grossly put, two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner (with even worse math to the loser). Historically all pure democracies have been great stories written about elites with democratic rights over others without such rights. Ideally, government is created to create a space in which natural rights are defended from infringement (i.e., where such freedoms can be exercised) - that's liberty. It's literally in the USA's founding documents. If one believes people should be free from coercion and able to act as they will so long as they do not coerce another or impinge on their freedoms, then, well, a system with certain rights insulated from mob vote should make sense.

Mother Deuce likes this.
  11. jpk

jpk

Please go back and read the bill

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/billText.aspx?id=363

It makes a mess out of everything from primaries to general elections for everthing up to and including presidential primaries

It takes a very very simple process which currently exists and turns it into a complicated shit show which voters are sure to f*** up.....

Voters can barely handle the current simple process and you're supporting making it MORE complicated and fraught/easily manipulated for fraud?

No thanks

One office
    One Vote
    One uncomplicated Winner

12. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

You keep attacking RCV as if I'm defending it. I never have. I said from the beginning that it's a shit show.

Approval voting is not RCV.

strangenh likes this.
  13. jpk

jpk

You seem to want to quibble about the details and diffferences while totally ignoring my point

Dems want to take a simple/effective/constitutional and proven means of running elections and turn it into a complicated shit show in order to manipulate outcomes of elections

I am opposed to that

14. design

design NES Member

More anti-gun bills have been posted.
    Something must be in the water in district 3 in Manchester. The spouse of this rep used to have A with a pro-liberty group and has since dropped to a F...

2020-2150 HB Title: repealing limited liability for manufacturers, distributors, dealers or importers of firearms or ammunition.
    Sponsors: (Prime) Andrew Bouldin

15. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

I thought this was a federal thing.

Where can I find the text of these, the link seems to just have the titles.

16. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

These are just the Legislative Service Request (LSR) summary titles, actual bills come later.

Once the LSR has been turned into a bill and signed off on by its sponsors, it is assigned to a committee. Weak bills usually die at this point, but with the Dems in control, who knows?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    KBCraig likes this.
  17. 42!

42! NES Life Member NES Member

I understand, but I figured there was more than just a title. The list gives the number the title and who submitted it, but no details or link to the text.

18. design

design NES Member

The text is not published until late December. This is only a warning on where the Dems are going

19. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Those details and differences make all the difference. You keep ignoring that, and talking about this bill that I don't support.

20. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Yes, she went a bit hard left.

You may have noticed that when they got married, he took her last name.

She and I used to be pretty good friends. The first time we saw each other in person at the state house, she asked if we could have a hug, and of course I said yes. It was bittersweet, because she and her husband will vote 100% against me. Her daughter sang the National Anthem to open one Session Day. I wish her/them well, but I regret that she went so anti-freedom.

Theoretically, NH residents could sue NH firearms manufacturers for harms caused by NH-manufactured firearms that weren't involved in interstate commerce.

The tricky thing is that everything after Wickard v. Filburn (1942) involves interstate commerce. If Mr. Rep. Bouldin wants to argue that firearms manufactured in NH and never transferred outside the state are not "interstate commerce", then he will have the full support of every firearms manufacturer, including those who only manufacture Title 2 items like silencers.

We'll all agree with him. The BATF will not.

21. jpk

jpk

KBCraig

I posted a link to the bill
    I pointed out that it will increase complexity (massively)
    I pointed out that it introduces a LOT more room for voter fraud amongst other things

But somehow you still want to argue about bullshit that doesnt matter.

If you dont support the bill then why are you argueing........you can bitch and moan all you want about this bill and the shenanigans they passed in Maine but the simple fact of the matter is that BOTH do/did what I illustrated above so who farking cares

If you wish to continue being obtuse then by all means be my guest......

22. jpk

jpk

If the bill were simply to assert that NH goods manufactured here in NH are not subject to interstate commerce/fed regulations (broadly) then I expect that you would be correct and NH businesses/manufacturers would fully support that bill

But thats not the case based on the title.

Given that the title of the bill involves the repeal of limited liability protections laws which are very beneficial and proper wrt firearms/ammunition/etc these companies know where their bread is buttered and I expect that legal council for these companies will be advising that they will incur a lot more liability/risk by supporting these bills

USSC has already ruled wrt firearms that interstate commerce is not unlimited/as broad as you seem to suggest.......recall that the first GFSZA was struck down as being too broad......the second version that Gingrich and the rest of the GOP passed under clinton in the 90's is much more narrowly defined and I do not believe that we've yet had a prosecution wrt a firearm that was manufactured in same state as the accused

23. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran NES Member

Didn't this just happen to a dude (vet, I believe) down in Kansas or some place? Homeboy bought a local made suppressor without getting a stamp and got hammered, brought it to court and Trump told them to ignore the case?

I have been drinking heavily lately, so my memory is a little hazy, take this for what it's worth.

24. jpk

jpk

If it did that doesnt ring a bell with me

Got a link?

25. edmorseiii

I'll have to wade back through the Trump worship posts to find it, give me a few.

26. edmorseiii

27. jpk

jpk

Admittedly I havent read the case but on it face it sounds like a different argument than the interstate commerce discussion

28. edmorseiii

Well that's what I get for trying to sound smart. [laugh]

29. jpk

jpk

Personally I wish we knew how high up the trump administration its urgings to SCOTUS went to stay out of the case and allow the conviction to remain

What a pile of BS

30. edmorseiii

#MAGA