• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NFL player shoots himself in the leg (AKA- Plaxico Burress Funhouse Thread)

Moron didn't have a CCW permit and his gun apparently wasn't properly holstered because they said it fell down his leg.

Idiot. A permit would have been easy to get for him, even in NY, and a $20 Uncle Mike's holster would have prevented the entire thing.

Luckily, everyone already thinks Burress is an idiot, so this shouldn't affect public perceptions.

.....Now, let's not start screaming about the Second Amendment. To begin with, the amendment should be abolished -- a sensible interpretation of the amendment is that it was written to allow the people to raise a militia for protection and to hunt for food. Clearly no one needs to raise a militia these days, and those who hunt for a living can be licensed to do so. .....

I think that about sums up the entire article.

Guns are off limits in NYC and this dope was probably trying to impress some hanger on.

haha poor Plaxico...its a shame, but this guy is really an overgrown kid as one of the articles mentioned...the truth though, is that even though he is making 7 million or so a year he can't be thankful enough for that to at least wear a weapon legally, safely and thus correctly if he feels the need? I'm sure if he really felt the need to protect himself he would do so correctly, as millions of law abiding citizens do every day. This is just a case of his feeling that he is above the law because he can catch a football and run faster than everyone else to whom the law applies.

The person I feel worst for, though, is the reporter who wrote that. I'll bet that if he (or she, sorry I forgot the name) is every a victim of a crime, or a family member or someone he/she cares about is a victim of a crime, that he/she would probably rethink his/her stance on the right to defend one's self...what was written about the 2nd Amendment there is just appalling...

Who wants to bet that despite the MANDATORY 3.5 year sentence for an illegal firearm in NYC, he will do no time?

I agree with John Mara's comment:

"Players, for whatever reason feel the need to carry guns," Mara said. "It's not something we're particularly pleased about, but that is the choice that they make. You'd like to think that most of them are licensed to do that, but I'm not sure that's always the case."

Perfect. Mara supports personal choice, and self-preservation, is a choice that all adults make. If he's not particularly pleased about it, that's his problem, and I'm sure they have a pill for that.

Of course, John Feinstein (from the same namesake as Senator Dianne, the hoplophobe from California):

"Most likely, it is not the case more often than not. Burress reportedly had an expired license to carry a gun in Florida, but not New York or New Jersey, where he lives. If he felt he was unsafe going to the New York club two questions arise: Why go there? And, if you think you need protection wherever you go, at $7 million a year, why not hire bodyguards?"

So what's the problem? The fact that he didn't have a license? Let one expire? Or he decided to carry in a New York club? My money is on the fact that John Feinstein hasn't the slightest clue about New York's draconian gun registration process, although this certainly doesn't absolve Burress from the negligent discharge. And perhaps more paradoxically, Feinstein suggests that Burress should hire bodyguards to carry the guns in proxy. I guess he has a big problem with big, scary, athletic, black men carrying guns, but doesn't have a problem with big, scary, athletic, white men carrying them.

"At the root of incidents like this is a simple fact: athletes -- and many others -- own guns not because they feel unsafe, but because they like them. They like owning them and talking about them. When the PGA Tour announced that random drug testing in players' homes was possible, Frank Lickliter, a long-time tour player -- and hothead -- responded by saying that drug testers make house calls would be greeted by him -- and one of his guns. Most players thought that was a hoot, old Frank would sure show the Tour, shooing drug testers off his property with a gun."

Ah, here it is. Mr. Feinstein reveals that he's simply afraid of black athletes with guns. What a racist waste of skin. What's his grief with people who like guns? I guess those people aren't sufficiently civilized to his liking.

Two days after Burress's shooting, the Washington Redskins staged yet another maudlin tribute to the late Sean Taylor, who was shot and killed in his own home a year ago by young men carrying guns they apparently had no trouble getting their hands on. The re-writing of Taylor's life story since his death has been remarkable -- Nelson Mandela and Jackie Robinson had nothing on him if you watch, listen to and read media reports in Washington -- but that's a separate issue.

One year ago it was written here that if Dan Snyder and Joe Gibbs really wanted to see some good come from the tragedy, they would use their money and influence to lobby for stricter gun laws. Of course, that never happened. Gibbs went into a series of evangelical rants about how Taylor's death was saving souls on the Redskins and Snyder simply staged one ceremony after another -- all the while inviting the likes of Rush Limbaugh to sit in his box.

So in paragraph 1, Feinstein recounts Sean Taylor's murder via home invasion. Criminals, who "apparently had no trouble getting their hands on (guns)", broke into a Taylor's home who was guarding his wife and infant child.

And in paragraph 2, Feinstein lambastes Snyder and Gibbs for not lobbying for more strict gun control measures.

So will the real John Feinstein please stand up? Is he a proponent of victim disarmament and aiding the criminal element? Or does he want to "see some good come out of the tragedy"?

Feinstein suggests that criminals ought to have easy access to guns, but not peaceable, law-abiding, private citizens.

The owners and players should agree that players can't own handguns. That won't prevent players who like to hunt from hunting. If a player feels unsafe for any reason, he can ask his team to provide security -- all NFL teams have good-sized security forces, most of them retired law enforcement officials -- or they can hire their own security guards.

Yuck. No wonder newspaper subscriptions are plummeting. They publish the racist works of this piece of trash. Feinstein's thinly-veiled suggestion that blacks can't own guns is reprehensible. Or maybe somebody like myself? What happens if I, a sane individual without a criminal history, am drafted to play for an NFL team? I can't carry my guns to protect myself? Bullshit, Mr. Feinstein.

Now, let's not start screaming about the Second Amendment. To begin with, the amendment should be abolished -- a sensible interpretation of the amendment is that it was written to allow the people to raise a militia for protection and to hunt for food. Clearly no one needs to raise a militia these days, and those who hunt for a living can be licensed to do so.

Here it is folks!

Clearly, in Feinstein's worldview, self-preservation isn't a right. And the Second Amendment has absolutely nothing to do with hunting. It's about self-preservation and serving as a check against a tyrannical government. And just because this is enumerated, doesn't mean this right doesn't go poof with it's abolishment. And if Feinstein is so adamant about grabbing other peoples' guns, I challenge him to come take mine. And walk away with air in his lungs.

Slaves don't own guns Mr. Feinstein, freemen do.

I guess Mr. Feinstein played hooky during World History class. Clearly the European Jewry didn't need any scary guns in the 1930s and 1940s. Either Mr. Feinstein is legitimately clueless or dangerously ignorant of world history.

It would be nice if President-elect Obama had the time to focus his energies on repeal of the Second Amendment, but he first has to deal with a broken economy and the incredibly wrong-headed war started by his predecessor. What's more, the issue of gun rights causes almost as much screaming from the right as abortion rights, the irony being that those yelling the loudest about the right to life are usually those yelling almost as loud about their right to carry weapons that kill.

Yup. Come and take them Mr. Feinstein. I'll be waiting.

And Obama's flawed Keynesian-style policies are just going to push the economy to the brink of collapse. Only by embracing the Austrian policies will the economy be saved, but that's not likely to happen. And I suppose he's going to stop this "wrong-headed war" by starting another few in Africa or in Syria or Iran, right? Note that Dear Leader's Secretary of State was a big proponent of the "wrong-headed war". How's that for an inconvenient truth, Mr. Feinstein?

There's a big difference between killing an unborn child who did nothing wrong and killing a person in self-defense. I'm sure that notion is lost on this spineless waste of space.

The Second Amendment isn't going to be abolished any time soon. That should not prevent the NFL -- and all sports leagues -- from taking handguns away from their players. It is no more unconstitutional to say players can't own guns than it is to say they must be subjected to drug testing when there is no evidence they have used drugs, or saying they can be fined for speaking their mind about officiating.

More hoplophobic drivel.

I wonder if Feinstein's white hood is ready at the dry cleaners?

So let's not use the constitution as an excuse. If the NFL owners are concerned about guns -- and they should be -- they need to make the union understand why it is important that it be concerned, too. Baseball, basketball and hockey should do the same thing. The leagues need to do something about their players and their guns.

Stop with obfuscating illegal guns and legal guns! And of course, let's not let some old piece of paper stand in our way of usurping people's civil rights. We can't let that stand in our way!

In all likelihood though, nothing will happen. People will scream about the Second Amendment and safety. Neither of which has anything to do with what happened to Plaxico Burress last Friday night.

I agree. The Second Amendment and safety have nothing to do with what happened with Burress last Friday night. WHY THE F*CK DID YOU EVEN BRING IT UP THEN?

--

This ruined my day. I'm doubling my quarterly dues to the NRA next month.

Mayor Bloomberg said:
"Our children are getting killed with guns on the street," the mayor commented during an unrelated press availability in the Bronx. "Our police officers are getting killed with guns in the hands of criminals."

What children? What police officers? What the f*ck is this assclown talking about? Burress shot himself.

You know what else is a criminal? When a mayoral candidate runs for a third term in office when term limits limit terms to two. What a f*cking hypocrite.

As for hospital officials who allegedly didn't immediately report that Burress had been brought to the hospital and treated, the mayor said, "It's a misdemeanor, it's a chargeable offense, and I think that the district attorney should certainly go after the management of this hospital."

He scoffed at the hospital's "lame execuse that they didn't know. This is a world-class hospital in a city where we all know what goes on in the streets of our city and where all should be working to get guns off the street."

So a private individual's health care record is now subject to King Bloomberg's mandate?

What children? What police officers? What the f*ck is this assclown talking about? Burress shot himself.

You know what else is a criminal? When a mayoral candidate runs for a third term in office when term limits limit terms to two. What a f*cking hypocrite.

So a private individual's health care record is now subject to King Bloomberg's mandate?

Gunshot wounds are supposed to be reported to the police. Been there, got the Tshirt![wink]

Gunshot wounds are supposed to be reported to the police. Been there, got the Tshirt![wink]

I suppose.

But I find it a little odd that a man that basically told the people of New York that he's not going to obey the law and will run for a third term in office is publicly chastising an athlete for carrying an illegal gun.

Contrast this situation with the one faced by current Patriot Brandon Meriweather when he was playing at Miami. One of his teammates was outside their house one day when someone drove up and started shooting. The guy took a bullet wound (not serious) and then Meriweather, who was licensed to carry, ran out and returned fire, driving the shooter off. Never got in trouble for it. Why? Because he had the proper CCW permit.

And obviously Burress ought to have gone through the New York non-resident process (I think he's a New Jersey resident). Shame on him for not doing it. But the law (at least in Massachusetts) is solely designed to confuse otherwise lawful, peaceable people from obtaining and carrying firearms. They tax you $100, you have to pass a firearms course ($100 to $150), sometimes take a marksmanship test, get three letters of reference, a doctor's note, get your fingerprints taken, picture taken, and answer a bunch of nonsense questions on an application, when they already have it in their criminal justice system database.

Not sure if this explains Burress' situation.

All the rest of this crap is just grandstanding.

It reminds me of the same hoplophobic, prissy, holier-than-thou, I-hate-guns-you-should-too nonsense that followed the Westford Uzi tragedy.

Last edited:
And obviously Burress ought to have gone through the New York non-resident process (I think he's a New Jersey resident). Shame on him.
There is no "New York non-resident process", at least not since the Chautauqua country law department told judge Cass to knock if off since they felt he lacked jurisdictional authority to issue for foreigners and Canadians (that county's application had a "check if Canadian resident" box back in the early 90's). Too bad to, they were great folks to deal with and sent out NYS (not valid in NYC) permits by mail.

Gun shot wounds have to be reported to the police in every jurisdiction that I'm familiar with. That's been the law for a long time and has nothing to do with Bloomberg. Same in MA, same in CA, same in TX, same in well, you get the point. Dog bites too, for that matter.

Contrast this situation with the one faced by current Patriot Brandon Meriweather when he was playing at Miami. One of his teammates was outside their house one day when someone drove up and started shooting. The guy took a bullet wound (not serious) and then Meriweather, who was licensed to carry, ran out and returned fire, driving the shooter off. Never got in trouble for it. Why? Because he had the proper CCW permit.

And it was in Florida!

All true, but that incident got very little press after the initial ESPNfest.

What i'm contrasting is the differences between what happens when a high profile person obeys the laws vs ignores them... Meriweather got slammed in the press when he got involved in a huge team vs team brawl against FIU, but after the first day you barely heard anything about the shooting. Meanwhile, a high profile guy like Burress, who probably could have gotten a permit with relative ease considering his wealth and status, ignores the law and now is at the center of a media circus.

Gun shot wounds have to be reported to the police in every jurisdiction that I'm familiar with. That's been the law for a long time and has nothing to do with Bloomberg. Same in MA, same in CA, same in TX, same in well, you get the point. Dog bites too, for that matter.

Yeah, I stand corrected. Another poster already chimed in on this. Mea culpa.

Any any rate, it does sound rather ironic, that Bloomberg, who holds the law in disdain, at least for term limits, is grandstanding against Burress on his weapons charge. I guess Bloomberg would be none the wiser if Burress hadn't experienced his Safe Action Pistol getting the best of him, huh? [smile]

Just heard Bloomberg on the Phil Hendire show... Sounds like he will take no less than the mandatory 3 1/2 years in jail period. No questions asked. Apparently, the hospital worker who "failed" to report the gunshot to the Police (after receiving a payoff) is under suspension.

Hey, when mere mortals like us would go from the hospital to the jail, same should go for that moron. He better hope the judge and jury are not Jets fans [banana][banana][banana][banana]

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/1201081burress1.html

3 things.

A. Plaxico is an idiot.
B. I'm glad that the round got him in the leg instead of an innocent bystander.
C. Writers need to be held more accountable for the drivel they are allowed to publish at will (Feinstein)

PS. Plaxico is a perfect example of the criminal in the axiom "if guns were illegal only criminals would have them."

This should be used as an illustration of such.

Hypothetical question:

What if Buress had had his buddy drive him to a hospital in VT or PA?

Assuming that one doesn't have to incriminate oneself, the GSW would be reported but those jurisdictions would have no criminal charges. NYC would have witnesses, but no evidence.

Wouldn't it be unlikely for NYC to get a conviction?

jcr - um, let's see. Crossing interstate lines to conceal a crime? Tampering with evidence? Fleeing a crime scene? Better call Tommy Lee Jones.

There is no "New York non-resident process",

I had owned a place upstate, but as a non-resident there was no legal way for me to be licensed for a handgun -- not even a premises permit.

I considered the options of setting up business. It would have required pro-forma annual actions and fees, but then I could have got a business permit -- but it would likely only have been a "premises permit". That would have been good enough for me.

With the money of a big NFL contract, Buress could have had a business set up in NYC in some rented space. As a celebrity, they probably would have given him a carry permit (more than a premises permit).

Back
Top Bottom