NFA Trust Location Change Question

Hey Guys,

Have a question that I can't seem to find an answer on via Google. I have an NFA trust that I setup a couple years ago which lists out the county in which it was created. I have since moved to another county (same state). I want to submit another Form 1 but not sure if I need to do anything with the County change. Does it matter if the mailing address on my Form 1 won't match the county that is in the trust papers? Or should I create an amendment that changes the county and include with my trust? Does the amendment need to be notarized?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

doesn't matter.

my trust has my old MA address on it. i did a form 1 and a form 4 at a NH address, then another form 1 at a new NH address.

you'll be fine. [cheers]

I looked it up because i was concerned when i moved in state. But moving in state doesn't require you to notify the ATF of your change of address, only when you move out of state i believe.

doesn't matter.

my trust has my old MA address on it. i did a form 1 and a form 4 at a NH address, then another form 1 at a new NH address.

you'll be fine. [cheers]

The trust laws are different from MA to NH so while the ATF may approve your forms, the legal framework may not still be appropriate and applicable. I would definitely ask Rock Maple before simply assuming your trust was still 100% functional.

The trust laws are different from MA to NH so while the ATF may approve your forms, the legal framework may not still be appropriate and applicable. I would definitely ask Rock Maple before simply assuming your trust was still 100% functional.

yeah, i'll get to it eventually. as long as it satisfies the bean counters so i can take legal possession of shit, i'll work on the rest later. lazy man problems. [laugh]

The statutory laws applicable to trusts in NH and MA are actually very similar. Both states have implemented the Uniform Trust Code, a model statute for codifying the law on trusts. I drafted a trust for NH and modifying it for Mass was a simple as changing the statute number reference. In fact, the sections all match up so the section references stay the same.

Hey Guys,

Have a question that I can't seem to find an answer on via Google. I have an NFA trust that I setup a couple years ago which lists out the county in which it was created. I have since moved to another county (same state). I want to submit another Form 1 but not sure if I need to do anything with the County change. Does it matter if the mailing address on my Form 1 won't match the county that is in the trust papers? Or should I create an amendment that changes the county and include with my trust? Does the amendment need to be notarized?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance!

If all you've done is move from one county to another there's really no need to amend your trust. The reference to the county is likely just to identify you are the "Zero Down" of County XYZ, State of ABC, as opposed to the "Zero Down" of County ABC, State of XYZ. If you've moved states, it makes sense to update your trust so that its governed by the laws of your new state of residence, but even that's optional.

The statutory laws applicable to trusts in NH and MA are actually very similar. Both states have implemented the Uniform Trust Code, a model statute for codifying the law on trusts. I drafted a trust for NH and modifying it for Mass was a simple as changing the statute number reference. In fact, the sections all match up so the section references stay the same.

Yes, the UTC makes things very, well, "uniform". One important difference between Massachusetts and New Hampshire trust law, however, is the "rule against perpetuities" or "RAP", which limits the lifespan of trusts. In New Hampshire and Maine you have the ability to waive the RAP, and create a perpetual trust.

Back
Top Bottom