• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NFA noob...still confused

Hi All,

I'm a total noob when it comes to NFA stuff so forgive me. If I wanted to turn one of my already built and registered AR15 lowers into a SBR, do I just do the needful using a Form 1 and wait for approvals to come back? Once approved, do I need to have anything engraved on the lower that I registered into an SBR (I have no trust)? Once approved, in theory i can buy a complete upper and just slap it on the lower that was "SBR'd?" Are there any issues with using this SBR registered lower on a non SBR upper...16" upper....i.e. can I swap the lower between the two uppers with no issues?

Hi All,

I'm a total noob when it comes to NFA stuff so forgive me. If I wanted to turn one of my already built and registered AR15 lowers into a SBR, do I just do the needful using a Form 1 and wait for approvals to come back? Once approved, do I need to have anything engraved on the lower that I registered into an SBR (I have no trust)? Once approved, in theory i can buy a complete upper and just slap it on the lower that was "SBR'd?" Are there any issues with using this SBR registered lower on a non SBR upper...16" upper....i.e. can I swap the lower between the two uppers with no issues?

This is non-MA advice. I have no insights into the pecularities of MA law WRT NFA items.

If I wanted to turn one of my already built and registered AR15 lowers into a SBR, do I just do the needful using a Form 1 and wait for approvals to come back?
Only if you want to stay out of prison. Complete an ATF Form 5320.1, Application to Make and Register a Firearm (commonly referred to as a Form 1), since by placing an upper with a less than 16" barrel onto a lower you are making an SBR. It requires passport photos, fingerprints, $200, and careful adherence to the instructions. There are plenty of guides available online. Wait patiently (or not patiently) for the approved form to return.

Once approved, do I need to have anything engraved on the lower that I registered into an SBR (I have no trust)?
Yes. The SBR has to be engraved with the maker (you) and the city where it was made.

John Q. Public
No Rights, MA

You get to "keep" the manufacturer info, model #, serial #, etc. The only caveat is if your lower is marked "Multi," you have to have the caliber engraved somewhere. Most barrels have that info already engraved, and that satisfies the requirement.

Once approved, in theory i can buy a complete upper and just slap it on the lower that was "SBR'd?"
Yes. Once you receive the approved Form 5320.1, and have the proper engraving done. slap away.

Are there any issues with using this SBR registered lower on a non SBR upper...16" upper....i.e. can I swap the lower between the two uppers with no issues?
There are no issues swapping a non-NFA upper onto the lower when wanted/needed. The SBR is only an SBR when in an SBR configuration. If, for example, you wanted to take the weapon across state lines to shoot with your buds, and had not filed an ATF Form 20 – 5320.20 Application to Transport NFA Firearms, you could simply swap a non-NFA upper onto the lower and press on with a Title 1 firearm. (In this case, do not take the NFA upper with you).

I'm not a lawyer, yada, yada, yada.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for providing these details. This is very helpful.

I know this past July, certain aspects have CLEO notification/sign off has changed. I simply need to send a letter of notification now right and do not require CLEO sign off?

With the proliferation of “multi” cal lowers you must also remember to (potentially) engrave the caliber

As others will advise; do your reading before dipping your toe in the waters.

With the proliferation of “multi” cal lowers you must also remember to (potentially) engrave the caliber

As others will advise; do your reading before dipping your toe in the waters.

I wish I'd said that.

Oh, wait. I did.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much for providing these details. This is very helpful.

I know this past July, certain aspects have CLEO notification/sign off has changed. I simply need to send a letter of notification now right and do not require CLEO sign off?

Correct. It is now CLEO Notification, not CLEO Approval.

With the new SBR upper, one must still pin/weld a muzzle brake unless its a pre-ban lower? Still pin the stock?

Alot of people believe the AWB doesn't apply to sbr. There is a good argument supporting this.
Unfortunately in MA our AG likes to make up her own rules..
I always just use prebans to be on rock solid legal grounds.
Also if you want to put a 16" upper on to cross state lines with out filing an atf form .20 if it isn't preban it would need to be AWB compliant onces its 16".

Also if you SBRed it to 14.5 and permanently attached a 1.5" or longer muzzle device that would make the barrel length 16"... so it wouldnt be an sbr and would have to comply with MA law.

Thanks for he info. Now I just need to save up for the Sig MPX SBR that I’ve been wanting. Looks to be ~2500 after stamp, gun, taxes and engraving. [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom