NFA - Noob Question

I've recently purchased an FNC that I would like to convert to full auto. I'm stationed at Hanscom and I had a few questions. Since the FNC was designed to have both 3 round burst and FA, I'd like to do both. However, here's where I'm confused.

I've had some debate with other people I know whether or not a Three Round Burst Kit is actually a "machine gun" if I don't have an auto-sear in the rifle. My understanding is that it is, but do you know if it is?

If it is, that would mean to buy the burst kit and the auto sear I would need two tax stamps to get them. If that's the case, then would I have to track the finished rifle as TWO machine guns and pay the huge tax for both of them every time I move? Would it count as one machine gun once they're assembled? Or would I have to re-register it as a single machine gun and pay the 200 dollar tax again?

Thanks for all your help!

I've recently purchased an FNC that I would like to convert to full auto. I'm stationed at Hanscom and I had a few questions. Since the FNC was designed to have both 3 round burst and FA, I'd like to do both. However, here's where I'm confused.

I've had some debate with other people I know whether or not a Three Round Burst Kit is actually a "machine gun" if I don't have an auto-sear in the rifle. My understanding is that it is, but do you know if it is?

If it is, that would mean to buy the burst kit and the auto sear I would need two tax stamps to get them. If that's the case, then would I have to track the finished rifle as TWO machine guns and pay the huge tax for both of them every time I move? Would it count as one machine gun once they're assembled? Or would I have to re-register it as a single machine gun and pay the 200 dollar tax again?

Thanks for all your help!

With FNCs usually when someone buys an NFA registered sear (for thousands of dollars) and then has it installed in the gun, the sear is then more or less married to the gun and it transfers as one tax. Usually people don't unmarry FNCs... at all. (It doesn't make sense, ever. )

Anything that makes it more than one shot with one pull of the trigger is an MG. The only legal way to convert it is to buy a registered FNC sear. Anything else will send you to federal prison. (and the guys selling the burst kits or whatever in shotgun news for $100 are probably ATF agents, so don't even bother. )

Oh, and BTW, in MA you'll need an MG license too. (It's not clear where you live) to process any kind of MG/sear transfer.

-Mike

Last edited:
If you were to legally buy the sear and a burst kit (which I have never heard of) you would pay the stamp tax on both items.

If either of them cost less than many, many, many thousands of dollars, they aren't legal.

for FNCs the registered sear is the "machine gun."

3 round burts kits are widely available for $395 or so. Sears are currently going for about $4,000.

I'm pretty sure the stamp tax only applies to the registered sear. The burst kit is not registered. It is just a gun part.

and yes you need a "green card" if you live in the People's Republic of MA.

Put a WTB on Sturm or Subguns and you will get replies. A registered sear cost about 3k+. Burst kit a few hundred and I think the install of the sear is about 600. Six month wait on the paperwork to clear once you buy the sear and then send it off to one of the companies that does conversions. Many people who have FNCs mention the burst kit is rarely used.

Back
Top Bottom