• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NFA Items - Picture thread

Wasn't trying to bust you to bad, its a classic mistake.

The first time i shot my uzi i took it apart because it hadn't been used in..decades?
When i went to put the barrel back on it took 2 people 5 min to figure it out. I was trying to install a short barrel like it was a 16" barrel....AKA i was doing it backwards. All while i was completely sober.

My SBR UZI. Not sure if I had finished it when I took this picture.

uzi_sbr_02.jpg

I'm really glad this thread has come this far. I've been absent a while, been busy making new products during the winter.
I finally closed my HK allocation chapter with these UMP and G36 builds.

The G36 platform is a 5.56×45mm assault rifle, designed in the early 1990s by Heckler & Koch in Germany as a replacement for the heavier 7.62mm G3 stamped steel battle rifle. The G36 family is a weapon system developped under the code name HK-50 by Heckler & Koch in Germany during the 90s after the cancellation of the G11 and G41 (first was an advanced caseless assault rifle in 4.73x33, the second was a 5.56 version of the G3, based on the HK33) and officially adopted by the Bundeswher in 1995, by 99' by Spain and more than 20 other countries in different variations.

Hjud16i.jpg

The G36 is a selective-fire 5.56 mm assault rifle, firing from a closed rotary bolt. The G36 has a conventional layout and a modular component design. Common to all variants of the G36 family are: the receiver and buttstock assembly, bolt carrier group with bolt and the return mechanism and guide rod. The receiver contains the barrel, carry handle with integrated sights, trigger group with pistol grip, handguard and magazine socket. They come in full size "E", "K" (kurz - short) "C" (compact), and specialty configurations.

98QKTy1.jpg

The G36 employs a free-floating barrel (the barrel does not contact the handguard). The barrel is fastened to the receiver with a special nut, which can be removed with a wrench. The barrel is produced using a cold hammer forging process and features a chrome-lined bore with 6 right-hand grooves and a 1 in 178 mm (1:7 in) rifling twist rate. The barrel assembly consists of the gas block, a collar with a bayonet lug that is also used to launch rifle grenades and a slotted flash suppressor.

The G36 uses a short-stroke piston system from which HK later developed the HK-416's impingement system. Unlike direct impingement, this system takes gas trailing the bullet to operate a piston instead of pushing directly on the bolt. The G36's bolt is operated by a cam that guides the bolt carrier by its respective cutout. Then when fully pushed forward 7 radial locking lugs fully enclose the chamber.

ky8vVB3.jpg

The G36 employs a large number of lightweight, corrosion-resistant synthetic materials in its design; the receiver housing, stock, trigger group (including the fire control selector and firing mechanism parts), magazine well, handguard and carry handle are all made of a carbon fiber-reinforced polyamide. The receiver has an integrated steel barrel trunnion (with locking recesses) and a nylon 66 steel reinforced receiver. I elected to replace the original front end and handguards with a rare Surefire G36 unit that included an integrated light, touchpad, and LED squad lights (blue) for identification.

dfpTc6j.jpg

In the box magazine is room for 30 cartridges. The magazines are molded with shock resistant plastic, and are translucent allowing the user to see the ammunition. On the sides are studs which allow for the magazines to be attached next to each other, this way the operator can reload with less hassle. For easy of availability, I converted mine to a HK416 magwell to accept STANAG magazines and allow prebans, but still have a spare G36 magwell should someone ever need it.

My rifle is a export version which has a single telescopic sight with a 1.5× magnification and an aiming reticle fixed at 300 m. I wanted to build a finished product in either K or C configuration. All rifles are adapted to use the Hensoldt NSA 80 third-generation night sight, which clamps into the G36 carry handle adapter in front of the optical sight housing and mates with the rifle's standard optical sight. The sighting bridge also functions as a carrying handle and features auxiliary open sights molded on top of the handle that consist of a forward blade and rear notch, but these can only be used with the reflex sight removed, as in the G36V. The optical sight system is produced by Hensoldt AG (a subsidiary of Carl Zeiss).

MpYMRwY.jpg

The direction I took was a complete G36K conversion with 12.5" barrel, and a separate complete modified G36C 8" front end with gas system ready to run. In K configuration, it is a pleasure to shoot, I've had some range time with the gun to ring steel at 200, 250, and 300 yards with repeatability. Very happy the way this project turned out. I should be able to bring in to the summer or pumpkin shoots later this year.

4rjdQx4.jpg

More updates soon...

Information overload....thats a tight piece of gear.
I usually don't like things that aren't black or shiny,But i am loving this.

Nice 76, how's it shoot? I wanted one of those a few year back. Still hoping for a 9mm sub.

I'm very pleased with it. With a suppressor it's very smooth and quiet with a cyclic rate around 750-800rpm. Very reliable as well over the 2,000-ish rounds I've put through it. It does have some weak spots, namely the sights leave a lot to be desired, stock becomes woobly over time and most importantly parts are difficult to find, but otherwise it's an excellent 9mm subgun.

The Springfield Armory Museum in Springfield, MA houses an impressive collection of early S&W 76's. I had an opportunity to study their collection and did a write up on it:

Springfield Armory's S&W 76 Collection - Experimental, Toolroom and One-off versions

Thanks Marcus, fantastic write-up too. I've looked at probably a half dozen 76's ranging in low serial number to the thousands, just can't find "the one". Also staring at Group Ind. Uzi's a lot.

Got my stamp back on my. Mp5 clone. Haven't shot it yet.

Got my form 1 on my AR last year. Debating if I want to sbr my Bren or maybe chop the barrel & pin & weld the break on it. The price tag for a new bren barrel is crazy.

Attachments

• 20180511_162717.jpg
    20180511_162717.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 98
Thanks Marcus, fantastic write-up too. I've looked at probably a half dozen 76's ranging in low serial number to the thousands, just can't find "the one". Also staring at Group Ind. Uzi's a lot.

A lot of people find the Uzis to be choppy, while the S&W 76 is very smooth IMO. However Uzi's have tons of cheap parts available, the 76 is the polar opposite. Vector/GI Uzis also sometimes have issues running (many of which have been corrected by 2018) while the 76 is generally very reliable. However the Uzi has had a lot of caliber conversions done over the years not to mention greater versatility, while the 76 has none. The 76 can be had for $11-13k, Uzis are generally $1-2k more currently and a bit easier to find.

As you can see it's a fairly tough call. I fell in love with the 76 but I have to admit for a heavy shooter the Uzi probably makes more sense.

Im really shocked with my uzi...weight, noise, accuracy, ROF, and most import simplicity. Its shame everyone can have one for $200 at a hardware store.
They'd be far more popular than the ar15/m16.. subguns are the .22lr of the NFA world IMO.

Im really shocked with my uzi...weight, noise, accuracy, ROF, and most import simplicity. Its shame everyone can have one for $200 at a hardware store.
They'd be far more popular than the ar15/m16.. subguns are the .22lr of the NFA world IMO.

Do you prefer a heavy, slow-firing small-caliber projectile firearm? Full size uzis are great but they get boring pretty quickly. ARs are so much more versatile and better investment in fun.

I hate ar15/m16 9mm..its great the m16 is versitile but .22lr an 9mm just aren't for me in that platform. Im loving my hk21e .308.
My "fightlite" m16 belfted rips at a retarded rate and i like it..
i have the DIAS,hk sear. So its hard to truly call the m16 more versitile than the hk family..cheaper host for sure though.
The reason the uzi get my respect is its simplicity, reliability, performance. For their price its more accessible than rifle caliber m16/hk..

It all gets old... but being an NFA junkie your chasing the dragon.. the fix dimmishes quick and quicker. Im no surewhats left once you reach .50 or m134.

Quad .50s? Dual beltfed setups? At that point im checking into rehab.

Just got these approved this week..

original-2960c416796a19cebee13c0f651c9732.jpg

Are you a MA resident? Can I ask how you got the Vector SBR'd? I have the rifle config and it seems like my best option is to pay Kriss a ridiculous sum to chop it down when I get the stamp in. It's a shame we can't just buy the pistol...

Also, where is a good location for the engraving? Not much real-estate that isn't plastic.

Are you a MA resident? Can I ask how you got the Vector SBR'd? I have the rifle config and it seems like my best option is to pay Kriss a ridiculous sum to chop it down when I get the stamp in. It's a shame we can't just buy the pistol...

Also, where is a good location for the engraving? Not much real-estate that isn't plastic.

Bought carbine from MFS. Put gun in back of my safe and submitted form 1. Form 1 got approved so I took the unfired rifle and cut that abortion of a shroud off. Hand filed the barrel and crowned it with a bolt from hard ware store. Took it to range and shot it for first time last week. Runs mint

On gen 2 versions there is a cut out on left side for engraving. brought it to jacks machine shop last week and they took good care of me.

Safe to assume it's probably the only sbr'd vector in Massachusetts

Hey guys, got a letter form them returning my app.
Was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what I did wrong.
This is what it stated.

1. Incomplete/inaccurate firearms description; see highlighted section.
verify model as engraved on lower receiver.

What should I put as the model?

This is what it stated.

Some more information? SBR? What did you put in that field? Should just be the model as designated by the lower receiver. What does your lower say?

Unrelated: Two weeks until I move to freedom; can't wait to file my forms and sit on my hands.

This is what it stated.

N4

What was that evo before ab sbr? Are you in mass?

Purchased as a carbine, shot as that looooooong abomination until the ATF got around to my stamp. Certainly not the cheapest route; but, I got to shoot it as a rifle while I waited so I thought it was worth it.
I waffled on keeping the carbine hand guard to someday run a suppressor under it; but, ultimately went with the shorter barrel.

Did you Chop barrel or have it swapped? Is that handguard a pistol version or a shortened carbine version?

Did you Chop barrel or have it swapped? Is that handguard a pistol version or a shortened carbine version?
Barrel and hand guard purchased from HBI, I kept the full barrel to chop down if I want to go with my original idea. I added a magpul handstop and VFG because I was paranoid about burning/shooting my support hand... and to copy that sweet mp5-k look and feel.

Link for parts
CZ Scorpion 5.3″ Micro/K Conversion Kit – HB Industries

My latest build. Finally got off my butt and built up my Adams Arms piston-driven SBR.

2d2gbd.jpg

I bought one of the carbine-length kits a while back and threw it on the shelf. Added a Micro (non-adjustable) gas block. 12" New Frontier Armory barrel, mid-length rail and a clamp-on FSB. I also went with the AA/VDI Lifecoat bolt and POF roller cam pin. Very smooth action.

Took it out yesterday for a quick function check. Didn't have too much time, so 70 rounds only. 20 rounds Wolf Gold, 20 rounds Fed XM193, and 30 rounds of IMI M193. The gun ran 100%, with not one hiccup. Ejection was strong, and if I placed a 5 gallon bucket 5' away at 2:00, all 70 rounds would have dropped right in the bucket, despite the differences in the ammo.

I'm probably going to change out the rail at some point. The Ergo Grip Z Float Rail ain't light by any stretch, when I have some time I'll find a lighter rail that fits over the micro block. I look forward to sticking a can (GMT-HALO) on the front and see how it runs suppressed.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. I should have done this sooner. It's my Dissypiston...or Distonator...or Piston-ator. Damn. I swear I had something for this...

Back
Top Bottom