NFA Fingerprint cards

Get a bunch of cards and roll your own. Think of it like reholstering a gun, there's no reason to go too fast, because thats how you f*** up.

Looks like I had initially ordered the incorrect cards. Ordered the right ones today. These are for an NFA item but are for my South Carolina CWP (like a Mass. LTC).
If it make you Mass. residents feel any better the estimated "processing time" for the permit is 60 - 90 days because "covid." They have 90 days by law to issue or deny.

Yeah I see what you did now, you ordered the ones meant to accompany an FLL application, and it does indeed note a limit of two (because that’s the requirement to submit).

Oh well you will have the cards now and it would seem a shame to waste them so the only solution will be for you to become an FFL.
It fact if it were me I would explain to my wife it was a moral imperative that I do so as not to be wasteful of taxpayer monies.

🐯

I'm going to get my prints done tomorrow, I saw someplace that you could just print out the FBI card on plain paper and they would accept that, has anyone heard differently?

Get a bunch of cards and roll your own. Think of it like reholstering a gun, there's no reason to go too fast, because thats how you f*** up.
The State Police want the ATF form only and the prints must be done by the local police or sherriffs office. My local police charge $10 per card...you need 2. It's not 100% paradise in a "free state." [banana]

The State Police want the ATF form only and the prints must be done by the local police or sherriffs office. My local police charge $10 per card...you need 2. It's not 100% paradise in a "free state." [banana]

How is the State Police where you live involved in NFA applications? Does not compute. People in MA self certify those cards with the ATF all the time and have no issues.

This makes no sense. How are the State Police involved with NFA?

ETA: Dammit, I gotta learn to type faster.

Looks like I had initially ordered the incorrect cards. Ordered the right ones today. These are for an NFA item but are for my South Carolina CWP (like a Mass. LTC).
If it make you Mass. residents feel any better the estimated "processing time" for the permit is 60 - 90 days because "covid." They have 90 days by law to issue or deny.

Oh, this makes it more clear now. I get it.

I'm going to get my prints done tomorrow, I saw someplace that you could just print out the FBI card on plain paper and they would accept that, has anyone heard differently?
The form itself is nothing special. No embossing or holograms that would preclude printing the form itself. So this is technically possible. Although, the official forms are on card stock. Like 80lb range. I'm assume that is to prevent folding and creasing prints. Wonder if they take that into account, as you don't want to give the recipient any reason to reject the card. I also think wet prints are the way to go unless the company handling it has high enough resolution to both scan and print out your fingerprints where you can't see pixels when magnified.

They're free from the .gov, and shipping is damn near that fast.

True, but just make sure there are no government shut downs when you place an order. I never got mine back in the shutdown of 2018-2019 when Trump and Congress were playing chicken with each other. Went Amazon instead. Turned out to be an OK move, as I went through several cards to roll a good set (because I suck at rolling).

True, but just make sure there are no government shut downs when you place an order. I never got mine back in the shutdown of 2018-2019 when Trump and Congress were playing chicken with each other. Went Amazon instead. Turned out to be an OK move, as I went through several cards to roll a good set (because I suck at rolling).
Well...yeah. That's kind of like saying "don't order when there's a postal strike." AFAIK, there's no current government shutdown.

They're free from the .gov, and shipping is damn near that fast.

Well, kinda, in my case it took me over a month and a half to get a few FFLC cards..... [laugh] those are like unicorn tears.

Any friendly NFA dealer will have a pile of the NFA cards sitting around.

(For those reading, its the same card, just a different address in a special box on the card.... )

Well...yeah. That's kind of like saying "don't order when there's a postal strike." AFAIK, there's no current government shutdown.

I technically ordered mine when they were still open, but proximity to the shut down probably put a wrench into things. Point being, the fulfillment only works as well as government works, which is not very well and with little to no accountability. Either you get it or you don't, and if you don't, there is no reason given.

I use printed cards that Silencer Shop sends to me, they are certainly printed because you scan them at a kiosk. That said they are printed on the FBI card, the FBI card isn't printed.

I technically ordered mine when they were still open, but proximity to the shut down probably put a wrench into things. Point being, the fulfillment only works as well as government works, which is not very well and with little to no accountability. Either you get it or you don't, and if you don't, there is no reason given.
Huh. I've had great luck, and the good thing is you can order just a ridiculous number and they don't even flinch. I ordered 26 cards last time, expecting some kind of "max number allowed." Nope. And I got them in less than a week.

Huh. I've had great luck, and the good thing is you can order just a ridiculous number and they don't even flinch. I ordered 26 cards last time, expecting some kind of "max number allowed." Nope. And I got them in less than a week.

I'm sure there are more instances of success than failure on these orders. Just sucks though when you don't get it and there's no one to ask why or any form of tracking. On the up shot, it sounds like I can just spam orders given what you mentioned about no count limits. They are not absolutely free though. They are subsidized by the $200 stamp fees on items that shouldn't require permission, but I suppose that's just my take.

Well I got prints now, I did run into a "we're not open for that because Covid" but for once in my life the "who you know" cut in my favor, a quick call to the wife of a co-working and the next town over opened up just for me [smile], OK so they are a client too so I'm betting that didn't hurt. Anyway, they had the right cards. Now to send them it........

They really should switch to electronic submission of prints. I'm working with a couple departments on their LiveScan systems and there is simply no reason they couldn't scan you to a file and then you could upload them.

Any problem if I fill in the top of the self-rolled cards myself with a pen? I haven’t seen my typewriter in like 20 years.

How about if they're just a couple of shades lighter than pure black (because my ink pad is starting to dry out)? The prints are clear enough, they're just sort of sepia toned.

After getting disapproved I'm paranoid and don't want to lose another month.

Nobody has them in store anywhere according to their websites. I ended up ordering from Office Depot yesterday with delivery today, but even they seemed to have closed up their retail stores in the area. Frigging amazon was quoting delivery dates of Friday.

I use one of those "inkless ink pads" that doesn't leave black residue on your hands. The prints come out much lighter than I thought they would, and I haven't had any problems across many fingerprint cards (mine, and others I "roll" them for).

Anyone know of a place in the Norwood area to get their prints done? I called the PD and they said they no longer offer the service. It's my first application so I was hoping to go somewhere that is familiar with the process. Thank you

Anyone know of a place in the Norwood area to get their prints done? I called the PD and they said they no longer offer the service. It's my first application so I was hoping to go somewhere that is familiar with the process. Thank you
Honestly I would just roll your own. It's much easier than you think. I have had my prints done by my local PD for a FL non-resident license and I was a little surprised how the prints looked a bit "messy" for lack of a better word, definitely some smudging. FL still accepted them without any issue, but I was worried the ATF might not. For my first Form 1 I wanted them to be as close to perfect as possible, so I just did my own. I practiced on two sheets, then rolled two and they came out nice and clear.

Back
Top Bottom