nfa engraver in NH

John who works at Manchester firing line, he does gun smithing and engraving. Stay away from umlaut in hooksett.

Yeah, I've paid anywhere from like 10$ a receiver to $70 a receiver with him.

I did my last two form 1 items with a $6 vibrapen from HF lol.

I like Jeff, and he does good work, but his prices always seem to be whatever the spirit compels him on that day. Like you, I've paid a wide range of fees.

But, no way am I going to try a vibrapen on my AR SBR lower. It would come out like Michael J. Fox did it.

I use an etcher at work occasionally, and yeah, i definitely won't do my own.

So the laser place seems solid but i have no real idea of price since it changes?

Ive never looked into it but what makes ATF engraving special? Depth?

I think this is the spec... unless they changed something..

ATF regs said:
ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92) describes what is necessary to engrave on a SBR or SBS when one is manufacturing. This is not necessary if you purchase one that is already manufactured as it will have been done for you.
1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;

2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;

A)The model;

B)The caliber or gage;

C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);

D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)
The above mentioned information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.

We have a Trumpf 1030 series fiber optic laser at my work. Can easily do .003, maybe I need to start my own side business lol. In all seriousness atleast I know I can save some money for myself when it comes up.

Last edited:
We have a Trumpf 1030 series fiber optic laser at my work. Can easily do .003, maybe I need to start my own side business lol. In all seriousness atleast I know I can save some money for myself when it comes up.

dude do it. check on the legality of handling things without a FFL, but you could be making $40-60 for 15 minutes of work.

Just be careful, the feds are a bunch of rampant faggots about it. If you engage in it as a side business you will want to get an FFL. At that point you might as well get an FFL-07 so you can get all the cool shit like suppressors and so on. There was a guy in MA who stopped doing firearms despite having the customer in the shop while the thing was under the laser, because some BATFE thugs came by and threatened him with prosecution.

-Mike

do you remember the full story with that? were they just saying he was running a business making money off guns therefore he must have a FFL?

Was something to that effect. I think they tried to argue that he was "gunsmithing without an FFL" or some bullshit like that... granted it could have been all bluster but I don't think the guy ever called an attorney to see what his rights were. I just remember that years ago everyone used this laser guy in MA, no problem... then a year or so went by and someone posted "I just talked to so and so and he said he is no longer touching firearms or frames even with the owner present, BATFE agents visited his shop and said he would have to get an FFL".

-Mike

That's John Andrewski - His shop is set up at MFL. He's his own business, and probably the top Title II smith in the region. A machinist and 2nd generation gunsmith (machinist first, then took up the trade). Engraving would be about the extreme bottom end of what he does. His prices are generally very reasonable. And a certain Hooksett operation was actually one of his top customers. IYKWIM. [wink]

Anyhow, he doesn't have much of a website. Just contact info. http://johnandrewski.com/ He's busy on word of mouth. And it is all good.
John who works at Manchester firing line, he does gun smithing and engraving. Stay away from umlaut in hooksett.

Back
Top Bottom