NFA Arts and Crafts -- My Covid-19 Project

So, with Work from Home, Stay at Home, Shelter in Place, TEOTWAWKI, etc. I've found myself with some extra time on my hands. Since I've been sitting on an approved Form 1 for a suppressor for a bit, I figured now was a good time to make the damn thing.

For the uninitiated, the ATF Form 5320.1 (Form 1) is an “Application to Make and Register a Firearm,” and is used whenever a non-FFL wants to make an “NFA Firearm” such as a silencer (suppressor), short barreled rifle (SBR), short barreled shotgun (SBS), or an Any Other Weapon (AOW). In this case, I wanted to make a silencer, so I eFiled my Form 1, waited 27 days for it to be approved, and then ordered a "Solvent Trap Kit," which is silencer-like, but contains no end-to-end bullet path. I could have ordered it earlier, but they were OOS and I was busy with other shit.

I went with the Quiet Bore .22 Kit, because it's very complete, has good reviews, it doesn't require special tools for takedown, and comes with a drilling fixture to make the process pretty foolproof if you don't have a lathe. Here's the kit:

IMG_1423.JPG

It comes with tube (Al), 8 "cones," undrilled, in your choice of Ti or Al, an end-cap (undrilled), and a drilling fixture. In this picture, you only see 3 cones (because I drilled the others before I thought to take a picture), and the end-cap is drilled (see previous line). And, I had it pre-engraved to save me the trouble.

The drilling fixture is the real money-maker here. It's precision fit to the cones, and has a hardened steel bushing to align the cobalt drill bit (also included). Here's a cone in the fixture:

IMG_1424.JPG

Pop the top onto the pins, clamp it in the vice, add a bit of cutting oil, and just...drill. You end up with this:

IMG_1426.JPG

Do it a bunch more times, and you end up with this:

IMG_1427_LI.jpg

The "discolored" one at the top is Ti. I'm using a Ti blast baffle and Al baffles. They all had "mouse holes" already pre-drilled in the baffles. Easy-peasy.

Here it is next to my AAC Element II:

IMG_1430_LI.jpgIMG_1428.JPG

It's almost the exact same dimensions, and I have to find my scale to see how it measures up, weight-wise.

And here it is one of my favorite hosts:

IMG_1432_LI.jpg

Went together in a surprisingly short time (an hour, tops), and from eFiling the Form 1 to screwing it on the end of the barrel was about 45 days; it would have been less if I had been in a hurry and ordered earlier. Compared to the 3 cans I have in jail coming up on 9 months, it's a great deal.

And a great Covid-19 Quarantine project...

I am very interested. I have a rimfire suppressor in jail that I don't expect to see until the end of 2020 at the earliest. I'm very tempted to do a form 1 build just so I can do some quiet backyard shooting in the meanwhile.

I have a Pilot 2 already and it's cool on my 22/45, but I do think I want to build one of these significantly larger, like the size of my SOCOM RC2, for .22lr rifle use. Idea being more volume, quieter can, but I am sure there is a diminishing gains point somewhere.

With the eFile time being so short (nominally less than 30 days), and the increasing quality of the kits on the market, it's a really tempting option. The kits available today are a far cry from the "bang the freeze plug into a cone" versions of a few years ago. Many have sophisticated radial cone design, and there are even modular designs out there that allow you to customize the length. Couple the innovative designs with the drilling fixtures available, and it's a project that no longer needs a lathe or advanced machining skills. And, even though you have to ask for and get "permission" before you do it, there's still some kind of "F YOU" feeling you get when you complete one.

What kit is that and where did you purchase it from? I've done a few form 1 cans and can't say I've ever seen a kit that nice and complete.

ETA just looked closer at the pics of your tube and found my answer. Checking them out now as Im in the market for a .45 can

You mentioned in your first post that it comes with the drill fixture. I am seeing it as a separate $75 item on the website.

Yeah, I should have said, "They make a drill fixture specifically for the kit, and I included it in my order." I ordered it separately but will flip it tomorrow on the Form 1 Suppressor board. That's what many (most?) do; in fact, that might have been the best place to pick one up. It's not like they wear out.

Yeah, I should have said, "They make a drill fixture specifically for the kit, and I included it in my order." I ordered it separately but will flip it tomorrow on the Form 1 Suppressor board. That's what many (most?) do; in fact, that might have been the best place to pick one up. It's not like they wear out.

Let me know if it doesn't work out. I'd be interested and I'm in the same state as you.

i have a small lathe and built one as well after filling my form 1 and getting the pdf tax stamp back. it's a lot of fun. the form 1 only took maybe 40 days- and that was with me messing up the form. cant wait to do another one for my 300 bo. some pics... it's "Hollywood" quiet 😊

Attachments

• 20200125_125805.jpg
    20200125_125805.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200125_175747.jpg
    20200125_175747.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200125_185053.jpg
    20200125_185053.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200125_190135.jpg
    20200125_190135.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200125_190000.jpg
    20200125_190000.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200125_190349.jpg
    20200125_190349.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 8

I see from the pics that you used the fixture to drill the hole for the bore. How did you clip the baffles? It that by hand with a file or does the fixture provide a tool to add the clip?

Do you have any opinions on the JK solvent traps. I see Silencer Shop is selling them now. They look really nice, the downside is the price but it’s yours in 25 days.

I see from the pics that you used the fixture to drill the hole for the bore. How did you clip the baffles? It that by hand with a file or does the fixture provide a tool to add the clip?

Do you have any opinions on the JK solvent traps. I see Silencer Shop is selling them now. They look really nice, the downside is the price but it’s yours in 25 days.

The Quietbore kits come with "scoop and groove internals," which means the mouse-hole is already bored. You can kind of see it in this picture of unbored cups.

22lr-scoop-and-groove.jpg

I've heard nothing but good things about the JK kits; I guess they're selling like hotcakes, because they're backordered both on SS and their own website. Their FB page says about 2 weeks before they'll start taking orders.

That said, this is a pricey option for an Al can. On their website, it's $500 for the 155P, and another $100 for the drill fixture (although you can probably flip that). That doesn't include a booster, so you need one of those if you don't have one. That can add another $150. Looks good, and modular is cool, but it sure ain't cheap.

How did you handle the fingerprint requirements through eForms?

The way the system works is you eFile, and then they send you an email with a cover letter and the CLEO copy of your Form 1 . Stick two copies of your prints in with the cover letter and mail in within 10 days. I send the CLEO copy of the Form 1 to the Director of the NH State Police. The way I did it was order the fingerprint cards from ATF (they're free), and get a fingerprint kit to roll my own. It's pretty easy. I have about 6 or 8 sets made up and waiting. I send them the same day I eFile.

The Quietbore kits come with "scoop and groove internals," which means the mouse-hole is already bored. You can kind of see it in this picture of unbored cups.

View attachment 349309

I've heard nothing but good things about the JK kits; I guess they're selling like hotcakes, because they're backordered both on SS and their own website. Their FB page says about 2 weeks before they'll start taking orders.

That said, this is a pricey option for an Al can. On their website, it's $500 for the 155P, and another $100 for the drill fixture (although you can probably flip that). That doesn't include a booster, so you need one of those if you don't have one. That can add another $150. Looks good, and modular is cool, but it sure ain't cheap.
those prices are ridiculous. i built my can above for $100. you can literally buy a lathe for the price of those parts. build 2 cans and your tooling paid for itself. you can buy stainless tubing on ebay for cheap money. what i didn't buy from tractor supply i built myself. $500 - $700 for a homemade can is asinine in my opinion.

those prices are ridiculous. i built my can above for $100. you can literally buy a lathe for the price of those parts. build 2 cans and your tooling paid for itself. you can buy stainless tubing on ebay for cheap money. what i didn't buy from tractor supply i built myself. $500 - $700 for a homemade can is asinine in my opinion.

I'm not sure you could make a sophisticated, modular can like this without a pretty fair amount of experience with a lathe. It's pretty complex.

JK-155P-MST-Kit.jpg

Rifle-and-Pistol-Cup-Divider.jpg

I'm not saying it can't be done, but certainly I couldn't grab a lathe and make one of these. I'm not arguing that it's not overpriced. Just pointing out it's a lot more than just a stainless tube and some cone-shaped cups.

I'm not sure you could make a sophisticated, modular can like this without a pretty fair amount of experience with a lathe. It's pretty complex.

View attachment 349376

View attachment 349377

I'm not saying it can't be done, but certainly I couldn't grab a lathe and make one of these. I'm not arguing that it's not overpriced. Just pointing out it's a lot more than just a stainless tube and some cone-shaped cups.
actually, there's nothing complicated at all about that- just threaded baffles. anyone with a 3 in one smithy lathe can build that in a weekend with $40 worth of stock and hobbyist knowledge- especially with aluminum. i ain't knocking someone for earning a living, but these prices are ridiculous. i threw that can together above - including tig welding the blast chamber baffle, in one day. i indulged and farted around with different configurations with the blast chamber to... i have the same aluminum baffles as above, and actually found i could make a better can using axle caps found at tractor supply for .75 cents. i bought 3' of 1.25" stainless tubing on ebay for $24. just saying...

actually, there's nothing complicated at all about that- just threaded baffles. anyone with a 3 in one smithy lathe can build that in a weekend with $40 worth of stock and hobbyist knowledge- especially with aluminum. i ain't knocking someone for earning a living, but these prices are ridiculous. i threw that can together above - including tig welding the blast chamber baffle, in one day. i indulged and farted around with different configurations with the blast chamber to... i have the same aluminum baffles as above, and actually found i could make a better can using axle caps found at tractor supply for .75 cents. i bought 3' of 1.25" stainless tubing on ebay for $24. just saying...

Wish I had those skills and equipment. Seems like a good excuse to hide in the basement from my family.

Well, I still think I'd end up with a bloody lathe, 4 less fingers, and no can.

Nobody's forcing anyone to buy anything. I don't necessarily consider it to be worth the price, but a lot of people do. To each their own.

Back
Top Bottom