• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Next time the doctor asks if there are firearms in the home...

Just had my semi annual physical and my doc who is probably early 40s simply has what he calls his safety speech that pretty much go like " make sure you wear a seatbelt, use sunscreen, if you own firearms store them safely, check your smoke detectors battery today after you leave..." etc... basic normal advice... repeats it every time and to everyone...never once asked me directly in 15 years of seeing him

My primary who I have been seeing since I was 13 has a robot check list like this.... few years back he added firearms safety. He asked me about guns in the home. I,looked at home with a blank face and said I never leave home with out my gun. It's the first time in all those years he raised his head out of his charts and looked at me. Then it was the one and only time any bit of humor came out of his mouth...."John you can't expect me to believe you take all of your guns with you everyday". That was our last "gun" interaction. Last time I had to strip down to a Johnny for xrays they didn't say boo when I removed my holster to remove my pants.

I’ll never understand why everyone doesn’t just answer “no” to that question.

A refusal or sarcastic answer is as good as saying “yes”.

Even we all know what we want to say to Dr's or health professionals, its best to keep your comments to yourself and just smile. You can find another Dr, or tell them what they want to hear. I visited a PA after my colonoscopy and was having severe pain after eating a bowl of ice cream and chocolate cake. Fast forward to 6 months later went to PCP and he was reading computer notes, and asked who is this idiot (referring to Pa from gastro office). Said she actually wrote in my chart pain caused from eating ice cream and chocolate cake! He just shook his head, I do have a cool PCP and actually wear gun T shirts to office visit and he never asks about anything, in pre visit nurse asks if I file like homicide, suicide or any of the other "cides" as she is way ahead of me checking NO,LOL

I lived in one of those towns that wanted a note from your physician that you had no issues that would prevent you from owning a firearm. Given how all medical records are digital. I'm sure my request is in there. And yes she was a pita about it.

I lived in one of those towns that wanted a note from your physician that you had no issues that would prevent you from owning a firearm. Given how all medical records are digital. I'm sure my request is in there. And yes she was a pita about it.
WHAT? There are actually towns in Mass that require a Dr's note to get your LTC? WTF? What's next a prescription so I can buy power tools so I don't hurt myself? Holey Chit It's time to think about getting the F**K outta Dodge! My PCP can barely put a complete English sentence together, I doubt the little round brown guy knows which end of the barrel to point down range.

Some years back, my mother wanted to get a LTC so she could keep the guns we moved up from FL with (I had mine when we moved up to cover things) since I had moved to a different address. The Methuen police wanted her to go to a psych eval BEFORE she could even submit the application. She said "****-it" and just didn't bother. Didn't mean she got rid of the guns or anything. Just meant they were locked in the "safe" (a gun cabinet that locked in reality) in a closet. When I finally moved to free 'MURICA (NH) I took everything to my location (finally had enough room for the cabinet).

No idea if Methuen still has the psych eval as part of the process or not.

BTW, when I saw any doctors while living in MA (last one was around 2004) they had not started asking about firearms in the home. The ones I see in NH don't ask about such things. I've worn gun friendly shirts to my visits over the past year and no comments made. No SIP orders were given either. Amazing the attitude shift by simply going a mile (or two) north of the line on the map. [rofl2]

" do you have guns?"

" do you know medical mistakes kill 500,000 people a year?"
Thanks Eva buddy,
i now have ammunition for the next activist m.d. Who asks me this crap,

or im going to go with this, " Do you keep the sex toys in your unlocked underwear drawer?

WHAT? There are actually towns in Mass that require a Dr's note to get your LTC? WTF? What's next a prescription so I can buy power tools so I don't hurt myself? Holey Chit It's time to think about getting the F**K outta Dodge! My PCP can barely put a complete English sentence together, I doubt the little round brown guy knows which end of the barrel to point down range.

This was many years ago.. andover, methuen and lawrence were the only ones who did it... They are pretty green now.. Towns roll as the the chief rolls. New Chief, New rules..

Conversely, I had a patient (FBI agent), ask me and the doc if we kept a firearm in the clinic. This is an Ortho clinic, think painkillers. I didn't answer, (although I'm the one who ankle carries under scrubs). The doctor agreed that it would be a good idea, but he had no LTC. We've had agitated patients looking for opioid scripts. I gets a bit ugly sometimes when they're told "no more"

Back
Top Bottom