Next steps if Tarr's act fails

Like, I hope, all of you, I've been contacting my elected officials persistently since the 20th. Unfortunately, I bet most of you are getting what I am - noncommittal "I'm very concerned and looking into it" type responses. I've just finished sending a round of "it's a simple yes or no question. Do you oppose what the AG has done?!?!?" type emails.

I'm afraid that's not going to get us far, especially given the word that DeLeo seems determined not to let this get to the floor. I'm still hopeful, but I think we need to prepare contingencies. The upcoming actions by GOAL are a great start, but I don't think it will be enough.

All this got me looking at who's up for election this fall and it seems like a lot are. According to this site, there's a lot of incumbents running unopposed. I know we're late in the game here, but I'd like to think there might be a few pro-2A politically minded folks who could be convinced to run for office against even a few key people that are currently not with us.

So, I'm asking the open questions here of all of us:
1. GOAL, can you help us organize and support the candidacy of opposition candidates, even if we have to do write-in/sticker efforts at this point?

2. Anyone here want to run for office or know anyone who is thinking of it? At this point I don't even care if the person's a good, or even effective, politician as much as I care about throwing at least one "I'll discuss your concerns with my colleagues" weasel out of a job this fall.

Thanks for putting up with my rant. I'm a little frustrated and angry right now.

I sure as hope that our good friends at GOAL, Comm2A, NRA and SAF are already working a contingency plan for various legal action in parallel to protests and legislative actions.

I heard from a person in a position to know that they expect to still be fighting this in the fall. I hope and am confident that GOAL and Comm2A (and others) are working up long-term plans. This was always a hail-mary pass.

The problem is what happens between now and the fall? I wouldn't be surprised if our AG is just waiting for the Legislature to break and then go for step 2. What can we do during the break to keep this on the forefront and make a difference? I spoke to almost a dozen reps/aids today and planning for failure, what do we do next?

Post a protester in handcuffs outside their office everyday until this is fixed. Rotating shifts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Keep up the action as best we can, I guess. Support GOAL and Comm2A. Organize and attend rallies. Keep on your representatives. Just because they're not in session doesn't mean they're on vacation.

I hope that specifics are forthcoming, and I will be on board. In the meantime I'll keep plugging away as best I can as an individual.

Jim Wallace posted this on Facebook about 1/2 hour ago:

Speaker DeLeo just announced to the press that they will do nothing to protect lawful families from the rogue actions of Maura Healey!
Thanks to all who came out today and remember, this fight is just getting started!
It looks like we're in it for the long haul.

Keep up the action as best we can, I guess. Support GOAL and Comm2A. Organize and attend rallies. Keep on your representatives. Just because they're not in session doesn't mean they're on vacation.

I hope that specifics are forthcoming, and I will be on board. In the meantime I'll keep plugging away as best I can as an individual.

This.

I don't know why a civil and or class action lawsuit for harassment, discrimination, persecution, and defamation of character. Since healy and her ilk consider us dangerous can't be filed against her and any others that push for gun control & disarmament.
I know this is mAss but it probably should be at least tried.

It may not be true for many of you, but I'm an 'Unenrolled' voter.
I may just go to City Hall on Monday and register Republican.
Consider it if you're 'unenrolled'. Imagine the headline.

Not to turn this political D and R.
But, I did this years ago as I was never seeing anybody run from the D side that offered anything for me.
The biggest issue with doing this is when you call a office, like Deleo or Rosenberg they always ask your name and town.
I think you have more sway power if you are not committed. Just my 2 cents.

I think suing healy for uncompensated "taking" of the value of our rifles would be smart. Court fees and say $2000 per rifle, with us keeping the reduced value rifles at the ed.

I think suing healy for uncompensated "taking" of the value of our rifles would be smart. Court fees and say $2000 per rifle, with us keeping the reduced value rifles at the ed.

They can "take" it without compensation if they claim that it is contraband. Since in Healey's mind any AR produced since the AWB is illegal, you are no more entitled to compensation than a drug mule is entitled for the value of the kilo that got seized.

If new legislation mandates you lose possession then the compensation argument comes into play.

Not to turn this political D and R.
But, I did this years ago as I was never seeing anybody run from the D side that offered anything for me.
The biggest issue with doing this is when you call a office, like Deleo or Rosenberg they always ask your name and town.
I think you have more sway power if you are not committed. Just my 2 cents.

I hadn't considered that they'd know you're affiliation when calling (or could easily find it out), but that is an issue.

Practically, however, if you're unenrolled *today* switching between now and the general election doesn't change much; you'll get the same ballot in November regardless, right? You can switch back after the GA. Heck, you can switch back at any time you want to online. It doesn't make sense for me (or you) as an individual act, perhaps, but as a protest action...

If we can coordinate it and *thousands*, heck even hundreds, of unenrolled voters switch to 'R' at the same time isn't that newsworthy?

It may not be true for many of you, but I'm an 'Unenrolled' voter.
I may just go to City Hall on Monday and register Republican.
Consider it if you're 'unenrolled'. Imagine the headline.
Problem is my senator is pro 2a. Not only that but has voiced his opposition to defend the constitution before (2014's firearm bill) he is also a (D)

They can "take" it without compensation if they claim that it is contraband. Since in Healey's mind any AR produced since the AWB is illegal, you are no more entitled to compensation than a drug mule is entitled for the value of the kilo that got seized.

If new legislation mandates you lose possession then the compensation argument comes into play.

And, of course, she hasn't actually taken anything yet. She's only cowed dealers into not selling them and threatened the rest of us with prison if we don't toe her arbitrary line.

She knew exactly what she was doing when she cooked this up. What court is going to hear a case on confiscation when no confiscation has yet occurred?

Problem is my senator is pro 2a. Not only that but has voiced his opposition to defend the constitution before (2014's firearm bill) he is also a (D)

Can you break this down and clarify this? Either this doesn't work the way it's written or I completely misunderstand what you are attempting to write.

Can you break this down and clarify this? Either this doesn't work the way it's written or I completely misunderstand what you are attempting to write.

He has a democratic pro 2a senator who has voiced willingness to defend 2a in the past (i.e. The 2014 gun law debates) so changing party affiliation in the op's voter registration wouldn't matter?

I heard from a person in a position to know that they expect to still be fighting this in the fall. I hope and am confident that GOAL and Comm2A (and others) are working up long-term plans. This was always a hail-mary pass.

The ball is still in the air though. Keep hammering them. Don't do it from the gun angle. Hit them on the due process, usurping the legislatures power angle. Two of the most productive conversations I experienced today were with people who had D's after their name. The lightbulb went off on he long term consequences of allowing one individual this kind of power. Whether they like guns or not is irrelevant when you frame the discussion that way.

They assumed we wanted to talk about guns and the AG. Turn it around on them and talk about due process and seperation of power and they engage more.

Ironic that a bill to ensure due process is denied due process.
Remember what happened in 94? Clinton lost his majority because he Pissed off enough of the right people.

Never underestimate pissed off people in large numbers.
I would have been very happy to just live out my life and go about my business and they could have gone about their's.
Now you want to make me a criminal ?
Now i'm in it for the long haul.
Let's see if it was worth it.

My state senator (Brownsberger) appears to agree that this is an overreach by the AG but that the proper venue for resolution would be via the courts. I imagine someone would have to have standing to sue. Does someone need to get busted by the police for an illegal assault weapon and spend a life-ruining amount of money defending themselves against felony criminal charges for that to happen? Because man, I feel awful for the poor person who ends up being the test case.

Back
Top Bottom