• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Next Step in my recovery - Shot my Garand today.

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Spud and Tater Tot went to my friend's range in Holbrook today. What I like about Holbrook is that their 200M range can accommodate any shooter from 25M, 50M, 100M, and 200M all in one place.

I used a NRA/CMP 100 yard target at 100M and the tot used a pizza delivery Zombie at 25M. He did better than last time; 22/29 on paper at 25 yards, and as he said he was aiming at the head he did very well. He's improved every time out. I shot 5 enblocs at 100M; one off paper at 12:00, 5-10's, and 15-9's. At 7 clicks elevation, if I put the front sight blade on the bottom of the orange, I was center and low. If I aimed at the top of the orange I was high. No issues with the Garand; the tot had 3 misfeeds with the NPM carbine.

I'm down to a soft brace, but I took it off to shoot. I had both elbows on the table since I can't hold up the back of the rifle yet. I also can't handle the torque of a bolt action or carry a rifle in my left hand, and I had to use my right hand to seat the enbloc. But I can pull the trigger and handle the recoil of a 30/06. My arm was quite weak after, but it was fun to shoot the Garand again.

Thanks for the look,

T

PS: Re my old post of the 'slack' in the hand guard, looks OK for '3 business card's of space.

Last edited:
Good fun.....is good your son wants to keep going. I know the carbines are fun but maybe a slightly more accurate plat form might get him really hooked...although you spoiled with him with the carbine it wont be long before he is chombing on your ear to shoot the garand.

My CC was hit Friday for his FG/SA from CMP - I decided to get one while I could.

He's a little small yet for the Garand. After I cleaned both guns, I had him behind the Garand to get a feel for it. He said it was too heavy for him to hold it. He said he do it if he had the bench rest back at my club, but he said he still wants to shoot at 25. So it will be a while as we can't use a rifle at 25 at my club. We have to wait at least until he's good at 50 with the carbine before we can think about the Garand.

T

Last edited:
Yes cant push the comfort level to much....any advice I have for shooting garand with new shooters. Go prone with web sling, off a sand bag. Recoil is better managed...sling adds stability, sand bag offers support.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom