• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Next Rifle: Tavor or Quality AR?

I am looking to get a new rifle. I've been debating if I want to get a TAVOR or build myself a quality AR. If I build, it will probably be billet upper/lower and good quality components, a Giselle trigger and other enhanced features. Will go with a 14.5" barrel and pinned 1.5" comp to get 16".

Where TAVORS are in the $1500-$2000 range, I am pretty sure an AR in the same range will be quite good...

Anyone with experience with both options? Suggestions or recommendations?

I would get a Tavor. You can build an AR any time.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Do you already have an AR?

If you already own at least one AR-styler rifle, make your next rifle a Tavor. Or, if you can find one, a AUG/A3 SA USA NATO (takes AR mags). But if you've never shot a bullpup before, I'd recommend getting some time behind the trigger before buying, including doing a few mag changes. Some people just don't like bullpups.

Riley's in Hooksett, NH may have one or the other, if I make it over there this weekend I'll check.

Last edited:
Anyone seen any Tavors in stock anywhere lately? I'd love to check one out in person.

I've seen them at The Gun Parlor & Pullman's in Worcester in the past week or so. Of course, I would call first depending on how far away you are.

This is like "Van vs Pickup truck". IMHO your key decision in this is "Do I need/want a bullpup?" Nothing else matters until you make that decision.

-Mike

Where are you seeing Tavors for $1500?

Regarding which to get, personally, I like variety. So if you already have an AR, I'd get the Tavor.

Yes.

AA1999A8-1184-4221-AC77-CBE6C05C991B_zpsu0kxbz7v.jpg

I like my tavor... but with one vs the other, Id build an AR first... my next project is an SBR, I judt really like the AR platform. Its lightweight and very lean size wise. I may end up selling my current upper for a BCM lightweight upper, but we'll see.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I like my tavor... but with one vs the other, Id build an AR first... my next project is an SBR, I judt really like the AR platform. Its lightweight and very lean size wise. I may end up selling my current upper for a BCM lightweight upper, but we'll see.

Mike

I'm currently trying to decide between a Tavor and one of those lightweight DD rifles. I like the lean (as you say) profile of an AR, but the shorter OAL of a Tavor is pretty nice too. Decisions, decisions.

Check out the new lightweight uppers coming out from BCM... thats the direction im likely going

Are they out yet? I like that key mod rail. I wish BCM would sell complete rifles.

Last edited:
Theu should be being released in diff models for the next few weeks to months. Personally Id go with the fluted 14.5 with pinned fsc556 and 11 inch keymod rail. Right nkw think its just the 13" rails.

Mike

This is like "Van vs Pickup truck". IMHO your key decision in this is "Do I need/want a bullpup?" Nothing else matters until you make that decision.

-Mike

Exactly. I own . . . more than one AR, and have owned a Tavor and a SCAR. The Tavor is an interesting curiosity. Its a nice gun that seems to be very very reliable.

There are 2 things working against it.

1) No upgraded trigger available, and the stock trigger is not very good. HEAVY. Even with the booster spring removed my trigger was in the 10.5 lbs as measured on my Lyman trigger gauge

2) The manual of arms is TOTALLY different than the AR. You can run a SCAR pretty much like you run an AR except for the bolt handle vs charging handle. On the tavor, EVERYTHING is different.

On the plus side, it is pretty much the ultimate inside the house type of gun. It fits in a small bedroom sized safe and is just too cool for its own good.

If I was considering somehting other than an AR, I'd look at the SCAR. . Both are readily available if you know the right contact. If you don't, PM me.

Don

No upgraded trigger available
Coming soon, both Timney and Geissele are in the works.
On the plus side, it is pretty much the ultimate inside the house type of gun. It fits in a small bedroom sized safe and is just too cool for its own good.
And now that 9mm conversion kits have started to ship, Tavor gains a new level of versatility.

Now I just need an ARClight.
fz6pw6.jpg

The Tavor conversion kit is $900 MSRP and is only available as a Right Handed kit.

Remember, a tavor is not usable by a LH person unless the gun is switched over. Its not so much ambidextrous as it is reversable. An AR or a SCAR can be used by a LH or RH person at any time. It might not be ideal, but it works. The Tavor can not really be even used by a LH person until yo uget the conversion bolt and switch ejection sides. I had several malfunctions caused by the ejected round bouncing off my chin and back into the ejection port, just in my first couple of mags through the Tavor.

Its good to hear about the trigger upgrades. The terrible trigger is really the worst thing about the rifle.

By the way. I've always been a Timney fan in the AR world. When I got the SCAR, I loved the Timney, until I got the Geissele.
The Geissele is better in every way. I originally felt that the single stage Timney would be better for fast shooting than the 2 stage Geissele. I was
wrong.

It will be interesting to see if the Tavor works out the same way.

I'd expect a street price of $300 for the Geissele and $250 for the Timney.

Last edited:
Got a tavor hater here? [wink] I'm not here to convince anyone to love tavor. But there are some misinformation regards tavor.

You cannot compare tavor Vs AR as they are both different rifle. Tavor is a bullpup rifle. If you don't like bullpup design rifle, tavor is not for you.

I would suggest OP getting a tavor since OP already owned AR. Compare both rifle. I think OP will love bullpup rifle.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Got a tavor hater here? [wink] I'm not here to convince anyone to love tavor. But there are some misinformation regards tavor.

You cannot compare tavor Vs AR as they are both different rifle. Tavor is a bullpup rifle. If you don't like bullpup design rifle, tavor is not for you.

I would suggest OP getting a tavor since OP already owned AR. Compare both rifle. I think OP will love bullpup rifle.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Not a hater. Just someone who has actually owned one and has first hand knowledge of its strengths and weaknesses.

As a left handed shooter, the Tavor is massively overhyped. You can't even shoot it on the off side. This is a far cry from the marketing and "review" info out there that describes it as ambidextrous. Its not. Its reversible. An ambidextrous, you could switch from one side to the other and keep shooting. You can't do that with the Tavor.

The 9mm kit is only offered as a right handed conversion. So if you are LH, that versatility does not exist.

How can you say you can't compare them? They exist in exactly the same market, military style semi-auto, magazine fed rifles chambered in .223.
Some will buy it because its a bullpup and not care about much else.

But if you actually intend to shoot it, you should know where it compares favorably with the AR and SCAR and where it does not.

Like I said, the two biggest friction points (I'm not going to say downside, because they are both fixable) are the trigger and the fact that it operates completely differently from the AR or SCAR.

I knew that I would have to make a fairly large time investment to get proficient with it, and didn't really like it enough to justify the time investment.

The SCAR I enjoyed a lot and considering that the selector, magazine, mag release, and bolt release are all in pretty much the same spot that they are on an AR, it was an easy transition.

So . . the Tavor is a fine rifle. It was totally reliable for me. It was shorter than a 10.5" AR with a telescopeing stock fully collapsed, and it was as accurate as any stock military style AR I've ever shot.

If thats good for you, then its a reasonable choice.

You don't eat apples and oranges the same way. They both taste different. Even if I preferred apple over oranges, I still want to eat and taste oranges sometimes. I eat apples for a long time, but this don't make me an apple expert. Just sayin.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

They are both healthy and tasty snacks. They fill the same need but sometimes you just want an apple over an orange. And if you have eaten both your opinion on them is probably relevant to most people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Alfred is right , comparing a bulpup and a normal rifle aren't the same .

Is the fs2000 ambi? I know it ejects the round near the front .

I want too shoot your bullpup shotgun again .

You don't eat apples and oranges the same way. They both taste different. Even if I preferred apple over oranges, I still want to eat and taste oranges sometimes. I eat apples for a long time, but this don't make me an apple expert. Just sayin.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

They are both healthy and tasty snacks. They fill the same need but sometimes you just want an apple over an orange. And if you have eaten both your opinion on them is probably relevant to most people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That was a great exchange between you 2!!! I'm still chuckling... and hungry!!

I'd buy a tavor now, since I have a few ARs.

I think a bad trigger is always forgivable on a bullpup, and the cool factor is there.

To the OP, I say you buy both!

Back
Top Bottom