• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Next MA approved firearms roster for us peasants?

Its generally quarterly.. As far as the snarky comments they are trying to help you.. **** the list.. doesn't matter.

Last one was in March, how often do they update it? Every 6 months?

It's generally whenever a new model gun is added to the roster as noted in the Roster.

I once tried to obtain the meeting minutes of the Gun Control Advisory Board without success, even though they are publicly open meetings. I would have had a better chance of getting copies of HRC's deleted emails.

Modifications to this roster are likely to occur periodically, and licensees and law enforcement personnel should always utilize the most recent roster for purposes of determining statutory compliance. The Approved Firearms Roster posted on the website of the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security (www.mass.gov/EOPS) will contain the most recently approved models.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster10-2016.pdf

It's generally whenever a new model gun is added to the roster as noted in the Roster.

I once tried to obtain the meeting minutes of the Gun Control Advisory Board without success, even though they are publicly open meetings. I would have had a better chance of getting copies of HRC's deleted emails.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster10-2016.pdf

I believe GOAL might be able to weigh in on that- AFAIK they're supposed to have someone in attendance.

*Edit*
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/eops...cab-open-meeting-notice-and-agenda-6-9-17.pdf

Last edited:
Does it matter? Find a dealer to sell you what you want. The list only limits dealers, not you. You can always get what you want with a little work.

Yes, I can - however in most cases you cannot try it out before buying. Also, don't really have much time for "little work" since none of the dealers that I go to would carry/sell non-approved handguns. Once new guns are on the list then generally I can go to a store and check it out in person as opposed to ordering it sight unseen.

Just spoke with the owner of a gun store. (He has been in business nearly 40 years)
He was told due to the cancelled meeting, of the approval board. The next list is likely to be in the fall. "September OR October". [angry]

Yes, I can - however in most cases you cannot try it out before buying. Also, don't really have much time for "little work" since none of the dealers that I go to would carry/sell non-approved handguns. Once new guns are on the list then generally I can go to a store and check it out in person as opposed to ordering it sight unseen.

That's cute but the list does not delineate what every dealer will sell. Just because its listed does not mean that a dealer will transfer/sell it.

Even looking at this list is nearly always a complete waste of time.

-Mike

That's cute but the list does not delineate what every dealer will sell. Just because its listed does not mean that a dealer will transfer/sell it.

Even looking at this list is nearly always a complete waste of time.

-Mike

Not everyone on here knows how or where we can get a pistol that is not on the list.
We all know the list is B.S. But we are stuck with it and almost all dealers will not sell pistols not on the list. It totally sucks how one gun is on the list and another one with different sights or a different color is not on the list. I hate Massachusetts!

Not everyone on here knows how or where we can get a pistol that is not on the list.
We all know the list is B.S. But we are stuck with it and almost all dealers will not sell pistols not on the list. It totally sucks how one gun is on the list and another one with different sights or a different color is not on the list. I hate Massachusetts!

Even within that constraint the list is still worthless. As a feeb. I can go to 4 diff gun shops and get 4 diff answers on what they will sell me. The roster just makes things even more confusing for lazebags/newbs.

Even within that constraint the list is still worthless. As a feeb. I can go to 4 diff gun shops and get 4 diff answers on what they will sell me. The roster just makes things even more confusing for lazebags/newbs.

I can personally name a dozen shops that will not sell anything that is not n the roster.
I do not know of any shops that will sell one "not" on the roster; despite a pistol being a variant of one that is approved on the roster! I am not disputing the roster sucks! Just stating that the majority on here are RESTRICTED, by what's on it. Which sucks!

I can personally name a dozen shops that will not sell anything that is not n the roster.
I do not know of any shops that will sell one "not" on the roster; despite a pistol being a variant of one that is approved on the roster! I am not disputing the roster sucks! Just stating that the majority on here are RESTRICTED, by what's on it. Which sucks!

There's a ton that won't sell various guns on the roster, too. Which makes it worthless. Each dealer has their own truth table which does not correspond to the roster.

That last sentence falls squarely on the stupidly of the mfrs in the way they submit their guns for approval, not on the state.

If they knew what they were doing, they would file "equivalency" letters with their lab reports for all the different grips, colors, sights so that all those models would be approved. The state will only approve a gun "as presented" in the lab reports, so if they are dumb enough to specify that a particular model comes with only 1 mag (by SKU), then the same gun with 2 mags (different SKU) can't legally be transferred in MA. Yes, some mfrs have supplied specific SKUs for approval in the past.

This is the relevant lawr (bold emphasis, mine):

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section1313~4

Section 1313/4: Roster of large capacity rifles, shotguns, firearms, and feeding devices

Section 1313/4. The secretary of public safety shall, with the advice of the gun control advisory board established pursuant to the provisions of section 1311/2, compile and publish a roster of large capacity rifles, shotguns, firearms and feeding devices, all as defined in section 121, and such weapons referred to in clauses Eighteenth to Twenty-first, inclusive, of section 123.

The secretary shall, not less than three times annually, publish the roster in newspapers of general circulation throughout the commonwealth, and shall send a copy thereof to all dealers licensed in the commonwealth under the provisions of said section 122 of said chapter 140; and further, the licensing authority shall furnish said roster to all cardholders and licensees upon initial issuance and upon every renewal of the same.

The secretary may amend the roster upon his own initiative or with the advice of said board. A person may petition the secretary to place a weapon on, or remove a weapon from, the roster, subject to the provisions of this section. A person who so petitions shall give the reasons why the roster should be so amended.

A petition to amend the roster shall be submitted in writing to the secretary and shall be in the form and manner prescribed by the secretary. Upon receipt of the petition to place a weapon on the roster, the secretary shall, within 45 days of receipt of the petition, either notify the petitioner by certified mail that the petition is denied, or it shall modify the roster. An addition to the roster shall be effective on the date it is included in the next publication in newspapers of general circulation as provided under this section.

The secretary may promulgate rules and regulations relative to the appeal of a decision on a petition to modify the roster and any other regulations consistent with the provisions of this section and section 2SS of chapter 29, sections 11 and 14 of chapter 131, sections 121, 122, 122B, 123, 128, 128A, 128B, 129B, 129C, 129D, 130, 131, 131A, 131E, 131F and 131K of chapter 140 to effectuate the purposes of each said section.

=====================

Also:

http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawlib/500-599cmr/501cmr7.pdf

"Approved Firearm means a firearm make and model that passed the testing requirements of
M.G.L. c. 140, § 123 and was subsequently approved by the Secretary. Included are those firearms listed on the current Approved Firearms Roster and those firearms approved by the Secretary of Public Safety that will be included on the next published Approved Firearms Roster."

Last edited:

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section1313~4

Section 1313/4: Roster of large capacity rifles, shotguns, firearms, and feeding devices

Section 1313/4. The secretary of public safety shall, with the advice of the gun control advisory board established pursuant to the provisions of section 1311/2, compile and publish a roster of large capacity rifles, shotguns, firearms and feeding devices, all as defined in section 121, and such weapons referred to in clauses Eighteenth to Twenty-first, inclusive, of section 123.

The secretary shall, not less than three times annually, publish the roster in newspapers of general circulation throughout the commonwealth, and shall send a copy thereof to all dealers licensed in the commonwealth under the provisions of said section 122 of said chapter 140; and further, the licensing authority shall furnish said roster to all cardholders and licensees upon initial issuance and upon every renewal of the same.

The secretary may amend the roster upon his own initiative or with the advice of said board. A person may petition the secretary to place a weapon on, or remove a weapon from, the roster, subject to the provisions of this section. A person who so petitions shall give the reasons why the roster should be so amended.

A petition to amend the roster shall be submitted in writing to the secretary and shall be in the form and manner prescribed by the secretary. Upon receipt of the petition to place a weapon on the roster, the secretary shall, within 45 days of receipt of the petition, either notify the petitioner by certified mail that the petition is denied, or it shall modify the roster. An addition to the roster shall be effective on the date it is included in the next publication in newspapers of general circulation as provided under this section.

The secretary may promulgate rules and regulations relative to the appeal of a decision on a petition to modify the roster and any other regulations consistent with the provisions of this section and section 2SS of chapter 29, sections 11 and 14 of chapter 131, sections 121, 122, 122B, 123, 128, 128A, 128B, 129B, 129C, 129D, 130, 131, 131A, 131E, 131F and 131K of chapter 140 to effectuate the purposes of each said section.

=====================

Also:

http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/lawlib/500-599cmr/501cmr7.pdf

"Approved Firearm means a firearm make and model that passed the testing requirements of
M.G.L. c. 140, § 123 and was subsequently approved by the Secretary. Included are those firearms listed on the current Approved Firearms Roster and those firearms approved by the Secretary of Public Safety that will be included on the next published Approved Firearms Roster."

Do you really think the secretary is really worried about not following the (3) times a year rule?
Say they only do 2 lists this year... What is the consequence??? hint NADA! I know it's B.S. but Massachusetts sucks!

LOL, nice citation, but not relevant. The "roster" they refer to in the section you cited is that stupid ****ing large cap roster that is barely relevant at this point. Basically it just tells people with FIDs all the guns they can't buy (and any poor bastard who still has an LTC- B,).

-Mike

LOL, nice citation, but not relevant. The "roster" they refer to in the section you cited is that stupid ****ing large cap roster that is barely relevant at this point. Basically it just tells people with FIDs all the guns they can't buy (and any poor bastard who still has an LTC- B,).

-Mike
It snot easy trying to dig this crap up on a phone. I'll try to do better next time

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

It snot easy trying to dig this crap up on a phone. I'll try to do better next time

I think you're not entirely wrong though, I think there is some other citation in MGL that actually talks about the AFR.

Not that it matters, though, I mean what is the punishment for the state if they don't obey the law? It's not like someone gets arrested for not doing it the right way.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom