• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newton high school teacher put on leave after showing a student an image of a firearm

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Newton high school teacher put on leave after report he showed student a photo of a gun
A Newton high school teacher who was once a semifinalist for a statewide teacher of the year award was placed on administrative leave this month after a report was made to school officials that he showed a student a photo of a gun in class, according to an e-mail sent by a school official and obtained by the Globe.

A district spokeswoman said the matter was reported to police and investigated, and the contract Newton South High School had with English teacher Deven Antani has not been renewed for next year. His last day was Thursday, school officials said.

“While we are unable to share more details of this specific situation, we can tell you that Mr. Antani will not return to South next year and no longer works for the Newton Public Schools,” Newton Public Schools spokeswoman Julie McDonough said in an e-mail.

Newton South High School Paper

New Teacher: Deven Antani – NSHS Denebola

New Teacher: Deven Antani

Surprisingly, Antani was not searching for a job at South, but rather when the school reached out to him, Antani researched South and was blown away by the school’s resources and welcoming environment. Antani appreciates this acceptance, and he really values students’ self-expression.

“The people, is really what it came down to. Everybody I met was so nice, professional and passionate, which is everything to me. It felt like you could be authentically you, and everybody embraced that instead of trying to change you into something else,” said Antani.

There has to be more to the story than that unless this state has completely gone round the bend.
The guy would clean house on that in court if that's all there was to it.

I HOPE there’s more to the story.

But court? No. If he was teaching at Dighton-Rehoboth in ‘15, my guess is he leveraged that teacher of the year semifinalist thing for a better salary in Newton... in 2016 or ‘17. Maybe ‘18; doesn’t matter.

Which means he doesn’t have tenure yet.

So they could release him at any time before next August, for any reason. And nobody could do anything about it.

Wonder if the picture was in conjunction with a verbal threat. That is literally the only reasonable explanation for firing anyone for showing a picture of a gun in this content that I can think of, but I would have assumed there would have been some type of charges for something like that.

If this was just a case of "keep our kids safe from the influence of guns" nonsense, then I really don't know anymore. This world as a whole is far too fragile, and this type of baby glove treatment only leads to further lack of immunity for the next generation to this type of nonsense.

I know the teachers union is leftist, but aren't they obligated to protect and fight for their members who are unjustly fired/disciplined? Isn't that why you pay dues? If the union doesn't, can the guy sue the union for breach?

I know.. remember we live in DPRM..

I did what I could.. tweet the story and tag all the big guns.. hope it goes viral/national and turn it into massively negative PR for the town.

I know the teachers union is leftist, but aren't they obligated to protect and fight for their members who are unjustly fired/disciplined? Isn't that why you pay dues? If the union doesn't, can the guy sue the union for breach?

I did what I could.. tweet the story and tag all the big guns.. hope it goes viral/national and turn it into massively negative PR for the town.

There’s a HUGE difference between a professional-status teacher and a non- . In most cases, you achieve professional status (“tenure”) on the first workday of your fourth year. The union will fight for both kinds of teachers, but remember: unions are there to make sure contracts are fairly enforced.

And, basically, contracts leave the union with almost no recourse at all when non-professional-status teachers are let go. Ask me how I know... I’ve been on all sides of that equation.

Remember, too, that this is Newton and, as post #2 points out, there may have been other concerns with this guy.

I can tell you firsthand that if you’ve got a good relationship with a pragmatic principal, and if you keep all your ducks in a row, you can still do crazy things at Massachusetts public schools like bring in a repro Brown Bess and do a loading drill on the baseball field. You can bring in repro Napoleonic sabers and pass them around in class. You can put Brodie helmets on students and chuck .303 bullets at them.

All these things can still be done. I saw and did them at my school last year.

Remember, too, that this is Newton and, as post #2 points out, there may have been other concerns with this guy.

I can tell you firsthand that if you’ve got a good relationship with a pragmatic principal, and if you keep all your ducks in a row, you can still do crazy things at Massachusetts public schools like bring in a repro Brown Bess and do a loading drill on the baseball field. You can bring in repro Napoleonic sabers and pass them around in class. You can put Brodie helmets on students and chuck .303 bullets at them.

All these things can still be done. I saw and did them at my school last year.

Well, it was a while back, now, but when my son was in 3rd or 4th grade, his teachers, using him as a messenger, asked me to bring in a bow, before they went to Plimouth Plantation.

First, I cleared it with the Administration (no problem).

Then, I asked the teachers, "Um....why did you have my son ask me to bring in a bow?"

"We figured you'd have one." [rofl]

I did, and even had a proud Dad moment - he was the only one that could draw it! [laugh]

I'm really REALLY waiting to hear the whole story. I just cannot understand what liberal lunacy would lead to a good teacher being FIRED for just showing a picture of a gun.

It makes absolutely no sense on face value, so there just has to be more to it.

There HAS to, right?

I'm really REALLY waiting to hear the whole story. I just cannot understand what liberal lunacy would lead to a good teacher being FIRED for just showing a picture of a gun.

It makes absolutely no sense on face value, so there just has to be more to it.

There HAS to, right?

One would hope, but I wouldn't bet on it.

View: https://youtu.be/M5IqH7oJ9h4

Why did this happen in Newton? The above video explains why.

And before you go down the "you're an anti semite" road, I'm more than intimately familiar with the make up of that city and the cultural attitudes that prevail.

the state senator moonbat Becca Rausch is one of those "progressive" Jews... it appears she embraces her heritage but actually has no freakin clue what it's about.. Must like most progressive Christians and Catholics..

Really depends on the union. Some unions G.A.S. about their members, some only G.A.S. about the dues, others only G.A.S. about protecting shitbags to increase membership while letting the few good workers catch shit all day for even the slightest infraction.

One of my best teachers at NNHS (going back ~15 years now) told me he had to keep his (mainstream republican) views completely hidden for fear of reprisal. I was surprised. My educational experience in Newton was overall phenomenal, but only teachers with one agenda were allowed to push it.

I don't know what happened after it was torn down, but I was told the old high school still had .22 rifles locked up from when they had a shooting team. They still displayed the awards in the main hall. This is at least as recently as 2008.

Newton has gone bat-shit since I left. It's nice for all the reasons a wealthy town is nice, but the money there now is not the money that was there 20 years ago. I wouldn't raise my kids there, and my (very liberal) parents agree they wouldn't raise kids there given how yuppy the city has become. Both come from working class towns.

"Newton Police Department spokesman Lieutenant Bruce Apotheker declined to comment, as did Newton Teachers Association President Michael Zilles. Antani could not be reached."

Likely Translation: "The reason this guy left is publicly embarrassing to everyone involved on the town side, the teacher got fed up with the whole thing, told them to go f*** themselves and actually just quit. "

-Mike

I can remember my 7th grade history teacher bringing in his scrap book from Vietnam. He was a combat marine...He said "You wanna get Charlies attention, all ya gotta say is napalm"...I still run into him. Quite a guy.

I have complained about my past knee jerk, leftist principal in the past, but this past year, which was my last year (36 years teaching public school), we had a new, much more reasonable principal. Neither a picture of a gun, nor even fired brass .30-06 cases, fazed her in the slightest!

My students engage in a year long study of a particular topic, and one of them chose D-Day. For much of the year, I made a point of showcasing his large timeline of the historic event, in the form of a drawn M1 Garand poster. I hung it up in my classroom in a plain view. Not a word. For the annual topics fair, just 2 weeks ago, kids, teachers, parents, and the principal saw that, a 3D scene, plenty of gun and tank pics, and the casings. Again, silence. It was quite refreshing that there were no maniacal snowflakes, which was a bit surprising for my liberal town's school system!

So, not all people are idiots/azzholes/control freaks. It's maybe 10% of the population that wants to go out of their way to control everything we do, and usurp our freedoms.

Back
Top Bottom