Newton Gun Shop getting pushback

Newton official's very public stance that the goal of their regulations is not to specify appropriate areas, but to keep gun shops from opening in town using very small areas as "Heller Shields" could come back to bite them in court.

Last edited:
I wonder if ppl will be picketing
🤣😂
WTF is "Concealed carry certification"? I see no mention of MA BFS certification, so I wonder if this is some sort of declaration from the training company stating you are certified. I sent them an email asking about this.

Last edited:
WTF is "Concealed carry certification"? I see no mention of MA BFS certification, so I wonder if this is some sort of declaration from the training company stating you are certified. I sent them an email asking about this.
I was wondering the same. I wonder if their "concealed carry certification" is just the basic firearms training required for your LTC application.

I think it is an outfit advertising certifications across the country, with no regard for what various gov't agencies require for true certification. No, I do not think that they are legit, just a scam.

I think it is an outfit advertising certifications across the country, with no regard for what various gov't agencies require for true certification. No, I do not think that they are legit, just a scam.
I emailed them with an explanation of the MA BFS requirement and they emailed me back a bunch of nonsense showing they had no reading comprehension.

WhereTF are they going to round up students for this?

Seems like a mis-target product, even if the course covers the material well.

I emailed them with an explanation of the MA BFS requirement and they emailed me back a bunch of nonsense showing they had no reading comprehension.

WhereTF are they going to round up students for this?

Seems like a mis-target product, even if the course covers the material well.
AG staff reading NES is probably going to drop a consumer protection brick on their head.

AG staff reading NES is probably going to drop a consumer protection brick on their head.
More likely that would be LTAO at all the people with "certificates" no more valuable or useful than a collector plate "certificate of authenticity" from the Bradford Exchange or Franklin Mint.

The shop retained Jason Guida as counsel.
Doing the skipping ahead thought exercise:
  • Guida tears the Newton City Council up in court, but the judge sides with Newton anyway--because guns.
  • Guida prevails, so Newtonites start a harassment/shame campaign against the firearm dealer's customers to get them ostracized, fired, etc., which _would_ work in MA.

So someone just posted a story from Bearing Arms about the city backing down. But it's behind a Paywall so I can't actually read it. Anyone else hear anything?

Thanks for putting the story up so others can read it.
I think the title is a bit misleading. I'd almost have preferred them to put up a ban so that way it would be taken up by a higher court.

Doing the skipping ahead thought exercise:
  • Guida tears the Newton City Council up in court, but the judge sides with Newton anyway--because guns.
  • Guida prevails, so Newtonites start a harassment/shame campaign against the firearm dealer's customers to get them ostracized, fired, etc., which _would_ work in MA.
i think town will settle with the perspective owner for all the previously incurred expenses and whole story will conclude at that.

Newton zoning and planning committee voted down an outright ban last night after a brief public hearing. Most of the speakers shared the same message as the city council that they would prefer a ban but fear 2A challenge will overturn all regulations. I guess next move is in the court of the potential store owner. Hopefully he’ll have backing from some state and national organizations who can sustain a prolonged challenge.

yeah.. that would be great.. would definitely put a hair across the asses of the antis in town..
run a free lottery for a gun for Newton residents (subject to LTC approval of course)

Sadly the shop owner is now stuck, can't imagine what they must be going through having been on the cusp of opening and now either facing the reality of finding another location or a lengthy legal battle, and it is actions like these which reinforces my position that Newton is a town we would never consider living in.

Honestly, I don't understand why would anybody want to open a gun shop in a town with high rent and non permissive political climate.
Large amount of disposable income and Newton does have a significant number of permit holders with memberships to fancy clubs. Look at how quickly West Shooters Club filled up their membership. It's just that the shit bully herd mentality in this state has forced gun owners into the closet unless they want to be othered.

Back
Top Bottom