• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newton Gun Shop getting pushback

qwert77

NES Member
Looks like a gun shop is planning on opening in Newtonville. All the Newton anti's are up in arms. Anyone who lives in Newton should send a letter to make sure this isn't stopped.

Apparently their is a group on FB trying to stop it too:

You would think they would learn after all the break ins...

Many years ago a guy opened a gun shop here in Acton. On Rt 27. Forget the name. A group of anti broads marched on the police station to bitch to the chief about it. They were told that the shop was properly zoned and licensed so live with it. Acton, the way life should be. Jack.

Lol all of the Newton antis? You mean the entire city? (Minus about 10 people). I hope he succeeds but that's about the last place I'd think about a shop. Needs to be on 128 not inside the foul trash urban cup.
Right? This seems as solid of a business plan as opening up a Planned Parenthood at the Vatican.

jfc. I read the comments from the link posted by OP.

Kids walking past gun shop - the horror.
Can't we stop the shop from opening - it's a public safety issue.
Newton's values.
etc, etc, etc.

f***tards.
I'm so old I remember walking past Roache's in Cambridge. I shot my first rifle in the Boy Scouts, Cambridge troop. The horror!

Right? This seems as solid of a business plan as opening up a Planned Parenthood at the Vatican.
It's not just Newton being filled with moonbats, but that's a shit location to try to tempt outsiders to go to. It's not like Deli Ticket Emporium or PPF that are at most a few mins off 95. Or like the mill which might as well be mounted on 495. The further into the weeds you go the less likely some rando wants to visit.

It's not a coincidence that most of the best gun shops in new England are right off a big highway and NOT in some congested urban garbage area.

It's not just Newton being filled with moonbats, but that's a shit location to try to tempt outsiders to go to. It's not like Deli Ticket Emporium or PPF that are at most a few mins off 95. Or like the mill which might as well be mounted on 495. The further into the weeds you go the less likely some rando wants to visit.

It's not a coincidence that most of the best gun shops in new England are right off a big highway and NOT in some congested urban garbage area.

thats a good point. Newton is a shit fiesta to drive through at every single hour of the day.

Why would you pick there of all places for a gun shop? I mean, it really shouldn't matter in terms of difficulty as long as zoning is compliant, but in terms of target audience?

I don’t disagree... but if he opens, I’d definitely go there and buy something just on general principles.

If free market doesn't want then it won't support. Nevermind that Newton doesn't wants, it's also a sht location. (Nobody gets off the pike 5o go shopping)

Yeah they should know better
And I'll gladly do business with these guys. Takes guts to open a gun shop in the belly of the beast

Last edited:
I mean it is a pretty decent location in terms of access off of the Pike.

Yes, but all the newton pike exits, at random odd intervals are f***ing dumpster fires. I know this because I have a client down in Brighton and I have to take that Newton exit to get to them without overshooting it, and sometimes that exit turns into a huge pile of shit.

Yes, but all the newton pike exits, at random odd intervals are f***ing dumpster fires. I know this because I have a client down in Brighton and I have to take that Newton exit to get to them without overshooting it, and sometimes that exit turns into a huge pile of shit.
I have nightmares about Exit 17 east. It's a merging cluster-f**k right after the off ramp and also at the Washington St/Park St intersection where everyone forgets where they are going the second the light turns green.

There's a gun shop all of 5 minutes away from this location in Waltham.

I would patronize this shop if my office was ever open again. I walked by this spot every day pre-plague.

It's right next to Marty's liquors, the pot dispensary, Cabot's Ice-cream, Jeep Dealership and a WholeFoods too. HA! NES Heaven!

I don’t disagree... but if he opens, I’d definitely go there and buy something just on general principles.

Me too. Just hope he has sustainable businesses for the long run. It will end up actually being one of the closer shops to me, so I'm all for it. But man, a hostile environment with not a lot of local shopper support I would think given the locals and some of the nearest abutting cities being Brookline and Wellesley.

There's a gun shop all of 5 minutes away from this location in Waltham.

I would patronize this shop if my office was ever open again. I walked by this spot every day pre-plague.

It's right next to Marty's liquors, the pot dispensary, Cabot's Ice-cream, Jeep Dealership and a WholeFoods too. HA! NES Heaven!

Bought ammo there once. Very low-key and probably pre-dates most of the abutters. Also, Newton is not Waltham as far as people bringing pitchforks to this type of fight. At least not at the same level.

Oh man, it's a good thing I'm not at the office. That place if it opens is going to be dangerous to my wallet.

I used to have to drive mom into st E s for some stuff and x 17 on the eastbound side off the pike. I would rather do kelly square in worcester at 1700 hours on a friday.

It is time when it got to be popular and rewarding to paint yourself liberal and sing along that song. it will last for a while, then, it will change, as everything else changes.

yet some people will remain who are sure no one deserves to have any rights, as 'rights' are potentially dangerous and not controllable.
did you want the chauvins trial coverage? 'i would like to invoke my 5th amendment privilege'. it is imbedded way too deep now - an assumption that a constitution is the list of privileges.

"Planning on opening"? Does he have a lease, FFL, and jumped thru all the hoops yet?
Sounds like he is in the home stretch... probably waiting for MA Dealer license. This is just what I am guessing from the last minute BS they want to try and pull with zoning that doesn't exist yet. Someone mentioned Newton PD had "OKed" it already.

from Newton Councilor Bowman –
No doubt many of my fellow councilors will join me to docket an item to review zoning related to Firearms Retailers. I will have this filed by the docket deadline on Monday.

I have been a longtime supporter of reducing gun violence in our country. I was similarly surprised yesterday to learn about this store coming to Newton. As upsetting as it is to many residents, as it stands now we have been told that there is no legal basis to deny this store based on our current zoning.

Susan Albright, President of the Council, emailed the Council earlier today: “I’ve learned that the gun shop is like any other shop in Newton (except the requirement for a federal license and police sign-off on security). There is no legal reason to prevent this shop from opening. We have had two gun shops in Newton in the past, as i was informed by the Chief; one was in West Newton near the police station the other was in Nonantum. Both of these shops are no longer with us.”
I am guessing that the City Council will be discussing this. But thank you to everyone for letting the City Council know how you feel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom