News on Steve Foley (SwatGig)

Just read this. Damn, this one hurts. A lot. I knew,talked with and shot with Steve many times. Many times just the two of us running into each other. I'm stunned. Every time he entered a room, people would migrate around him. What a great guy. Always enjoyed his company and will miss his wit and humor (although kinda dry at times).

RIP my friend.

Jay

My wife and I were just talking about this over cocktails and I had a couple of remembrances.

Steve and I are the same age. When we started Comm2A I very briefly considered going to law school. I told him this once and that I was glad that I didn't actually do it. He reminded me just how many of the people in law school with him were in their 50s or there about. Like Steve, my wife had a fulfilling second career at age 45 going from a research scientist (vascular cell biology) to EMT and then paramedic in Boston. This was a life changing move. We agree that most folks would benefit from having the opportunity to reinvent themselves mid-career. It should be easier. Steve was a great example of someone who just decided to do something different with his career and for him it was well worth it. If you combine maturity with enthusiasm for a new vocation, you'll have a winner every time.

Steve was willing to take on a lot of 'strategic' cases. Cases where we expect to get a loss and then an opportunity to take an issue up the chain. So, I'm in court one day to observe and on the way to the attorney's table Steve stops and whispers to me: 'I forgot. Am I supposed to win this one or lose it?"

Steven was a good guy, one of the few NES members I know face to face, always willing to explain some legal BS, and fun to talk with about old techie stuff (I'm in IT as well). He handled a couple legal things for me, one turned out better than the other, but the odds were stacked against us and it wasn't because of any lack of trying. And he certainly was passionate about what he did. At 59 he wasn't a lot older than me, I would have never expected he would pass so young. May he rest in peace.

I had a friend who was going through a rough patch and I posted here looking for a reference for a mechanic local to her. He didnt know me (or her) from a hole in the wall but he PM'd me for an address and put some cash in an envelope for her to put towards the bill.

RIP Swat

Talked with him at a couple of GOAL rallies and standouts, great guy! Always appreciated his commentary here on NES as well. RIP Swatgig......

Last edited:
Did not know him, but if I had been asked what I thought of him, it would have been positive based on what I recall.

RIP Steve Foley and my prayers and condolences to family and friends.

Matthew 24:42
Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day on which your Lord will come.

RIP and to lose someone at a young age we never really enjoy life enough we wait till we are going to retire and it never happens. He was a good man and will be missed by a lot of people

RIP. He helped me with my NFA Trust.
Ah crap. He helped us with most of our trust a few years ago. Part, as in I never did my part to finished things, so he never cashed the check I sent him.

The level of honesty in our brief encounter was heartwarming.

He will be missed. The number he touched is huge.

1312804913.jpg

This saddens me, another fallen comrade. RIP

Back
Top Bottom