• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

News item: Police Commissioner Edward Davis to resign

You jest, but this is exactly what I heard--taking over for Janet. Of course, I heard it on the internet, so...

Local news just said he was being considered for that spot then cut to a clip of him saying he would accept the position if offered. He did lockdown the city and was praised for it. He is the leading example of a police state thug.

Maybe he can teach constitutional law.

- - - Updated - - -

why can't people who believe in the Constitution ever get jobs in colleges ?

They're few and far between. My computer engineering professor is pretty libertarian and never makes class boring.

But for every one of him you have 10 libtards and most students know they're POS.

Yup, he's checking out and cashing in. Remember, when he was a Detective in Lowell he and his fellow Detective's railroaded a guy in Ayer for a rape he never committed. The guy spent many years in prison. His sister went to law school and eventually dug up enough evidence to prove her brother was innocent. He was released and exonerated.
Dennis Maher, exonerated by DNA in Massachusetts | Justice Brandeis Innocence Project | Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism | Brandeis University

Find me a place where the Chief of Police is not a political animal and get back to me.

New Mayor and new police commissioner. Maybe things will change for Boston firearms owners.
It's nice to see nothing at NES is changed: people who know nothing about Boston or Boston politics are the first to spout off. Awesome.

I never heard Davis say much of anything, except to say in a hearing that licensed firearm owners created no problems in a hearing on Beacon Hill. He was famously on the phone with Joe Biden at the time of the Marathon Bombings, but who knows what the hell came of that?

Renewed my license three times in Boston. First time the interviewing officer turned out to be a C&R collector. Second time was just before Davis took over: guy was pretty hostile and asked for documentation on everything. Third time was this January and the environment was totally different. They didn't ask any but the most pro forma of questions, and were downright friendly. Don't know if that was filtering down from the top. Boston cops know the difference between good guys and bad guys and most of them, privately, are all for private gun ownership by "good guys."

It's too early to say what will happen because we don't know who will get elected and who will make themselves a candidate. While some of you idiots are saying things can't change, I'm trying to gain lawful gun owners a place at the table when the matter of the new Commissioner and new legislation comes up.

You have to be committed, prepared, and persuasive. Woofing bs on a forum full of your homies is a lot easier - and changes nothing.

Find me a place where the Chief of Police is not a political animal and get back to me.

It's what they have to do. Chiefs or in this case the Commissioner, have to deal with politicians, the public, the media, and the unions. It's a pretty shitty job.

It's too early to say what will happen because we don't know who will get elected and who will make themselves a candidate. While some of you idiots are saying things can't change, I'm trying to gain lawful gun owners a place at the table when the matter of the new Commissioner and new legislation comes up.

Menino might appoint a new Commissioner, but I wouldn't expect it. The next candidate could come from within or could be another outside guy. I'd bet on Evans if it's an insider, but that's just a guess. There will be a good deal of shuffling in the upper ranks when the new Mayor comes in because (as you probably know) all ranks above Captain are appointed and serve at the will of the Commissioner, which means the Mayor. Guys have gone from Patrolman to Deputy Superintendent (and back) as the political sands shift. That's much different than the Fire where all ranks except the Chief of Department and Fire Commissioner are Civil Service.

I wouldn't expect any really gun friendly Mayors or Police Commissioners, but maybe someone more reasonable will win.

You have to be committed, prepared, and persuasive. Woofing bs on a forum full of your homies is a lot easier - and changes nothing.

LOL!

Menino might appoint a new Commissioner, but I wouldn't expect it. The next candidate could come from within or could be another outside guy. I'd bet on Evans if it's an insider, but that's just a guess. There will be a good deal of shuffling in the upper ranks when the new Mayor comes in because (as you probably know) all ranks above Captain are appointed and serve at the will of the Commissioner, which means the Mayor.
there may be an interim Commissioned but don't forget the front-runner, John Connelly, announced his candidacy before Menino said he wasn't running. Doesn't seem to be much love there as anytime I write them about "failed Menino policies" they are on it like a dog on a steak.

But the long-standing racial problems have resurfaced once again and a number of candidates have talked openly about the lack of trust between their communities and the police: it's hard to get "posted" by an officer [the unofficial Boston stop-and-frisk policy] and want to dime out a neighbor to the same dudes. The issue of having officers who live in the city and/or neighborhood is a frequent, heated topic of conversation.

John Barros is a fairly young (Dartmouth '96) guy who has roots in communities of color in Boston, and he has been pretty outspoken about the problems. I expect change and the new mayor, whoever he is, will not have the benefit of Menino's long tenure: everything he does will be under a microscope.

My crystal ball says an outsider will be brought in who has run a high-performing, racially-integrated police force, probably from a smaller city and possibly down south.

It's nice to see nothing at NES is changed: people who know nothing about Boston or Boston politics are the first to spout off. Awesome.

I never heard Davis say much of anything, except to say in a hearing that licensed firearm owners created no problems in a hearing on Beacon Hill. He was famously on the phone with Joe Biden at the time of the Marathon Bombings, but who knows what the hell came of that?

Renewed my license three times in Boston. First time the interviewing officer turned out to be a C&R collector. Second time was just before Davis took over: guy was pretty hostile and asked for documentation on everything. Third time was this January and the environment was totally different. They didn't ask any but the most pro forma of questions, and were downright friendly. Don't know if that was filtering down from the top. Boston cops know the difference between good guys and bad guys and most of them, privately, are all for private gun ownership by "good guys."

and is your license still restricted?

The bolded part QFT! Doesn't matter what city/town, they are all political animals or they don't get or keep the job. On one LE forum that I'm on many LEOs have stated "to become a chief you have to get a lobotomy" . . . may sound funny but there is more truth than fiction in that little quip.

G-man, I recall you telling me that you are fairly well politically connected. You should try hard to be the one "citizen" on the selection committee, that way you can have some serious influence in who's up next. That's something I'm going to try to do when the time comes in my town. Even if unsuccessful, trying to get the ear of a few members of the selection committee might be helpful too. [This paragraph is for everyone here's benefit . . . that's how we can at least try to make a difference.]

Herald cover says "Menino to let new Mayor pick replacement."

G-man, I recall you telling me that you are fairly well politically connected. You should try hard to be the one "citizen" on the selection committee, that way you can have some serious influence in who's up next. //
Depends on who gets elected. I may live on a street without trash pickup, plowing or street cleaning after November. If Dan Conley gets elected I'll probably be riding a bicycle to work to boot.

If there was a "citizen's council" I'd probably go for it, but if it's one citizen it's going to be a Black or Hispanic guy, I would think. And that is probably for the best: they've got to fix that part.

Last edited:
there may be an interim Commissioned but don't forget the front-runner, John Connelly, announced his candidacy before Menino said he wasn't running. Doesn't seem to be much love there as anytime I write them about "failed Menino policies" they are on it like a dog on a steak.

I think he jumped the gun, but there really wasn't any love lost before hand either as you note.

But the long-standing racial problems have resurfaced once again and a number of candidates have talked openly about the lack of trust between their communities and the police: it's hard to get "posted" by an officer [the unofficial Boston stop-and-frisk policy] and want to dime out a neighbor to the same dudes. The issue of having officers who live in the city and/or neighborhood is a frequent, heated topic of conversation.

I'm very skeptical about the long standing racial problems. Much of that is contrived from what I've seen. I'll also say that I never saw anything like the NYPD style stop and frisk stuff going on in Boston. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I never saw it and I was out on the street a lot. Residency is and always was a scam. When it started in the mid 1970s no one was moving in to Boston and lot's of people were moving out. The policy was meant to stop white flight and have a captive employee base that could be coerced in to supporting the incumbents. It was also a way to shore up the public schools when busing came in. It failed at that as anyone who could afford to sent their kids to private schools. Busing was a boon for the then moribund Catholic schools in the city. Resident comes up every election, but the truth is that most city employees don't have to live in the city. There are all sorts of exemptions and in many cases residency only extends for the first several years of employment.

John Barros is a fairly young (Dartmouth '96) guy who has roots in communities of color in Boston, and he has been pretty outspoken about the problems. I expect change and the new mayor, whoever he is, will not have the benefit of Menino's long tenure: everything he does will be under a microscope.

Everything every Mayor does is under a microscope. However, once a Mayor is in, he has tremendous power from incumbency. Going back to when I first worked for the city and Kevin White was Mayor. Everything that he could plaster with "Mayor Kevin White" was so plastered. Especially all of the elderly services offered. Now the website, all city letterheads, many signs, and other things say "Mayor Menino" on them. After January 1, I expect that all to be replaced quickly with the name of the new Mayor. I don't remember when an incumbent Mayor in Boston was defeated for re-election. Probably before I was born.

My crystal ball says an outsider will be brought in who has run a high-performing, racially-integrated police force, probably from a smaller city and possibly down south.

If you can find one. From what I've seen all that Affirmative Action has achieved is to put totally unqualified people into positions of authority based on some ethnic/racial goals. Even worse, people who are qualified but happen to be minorities are painted with the same brush. In every city department there are people who were promoted to meet "diversity" goals and then the people who were bypassed for promotion because they didn't have the right skin color were expected to prop up their new bosses. Of course I'm a racist for saying that, but anyone who works for the city knows that it happens all the time. The people who will tell you that it doesn't happen are either naive or are outright lying.

Everything that he could plaster with "Mayor Kevin White" was so plastered. Especially all of the elderly services offered. Now the website, all city letterheads, many signs, and other things say "Mayor Menino" on them. //
Except parking tickets. Get towed on street cleaning day and you won't find anything that says Tommie on it.

Except parking tickets. Get towed on street cleaning day and you won't find anything that says Tommie on it.

Of course not! He's not stupid you know. I'll modify my statement to say that anything good has his name plastered all over it. Especially elderly services, because you know elderly people vote!

Interesting speculation in the Herald. As I recall Flynn is very anti 2A, not to mention maybe cooking the books to make his stats look better. At 65, I wonder if he'd even want the job.

I don't think Tom Nolan likes Danny Linsky. The worst that could happen to Linsky is that he'd revert to his permanent civil service rank and be stuffed in a corner office until he can retire. That's if he can't retire already.

The guy at 65 is too old to be the Police Commissioner.

I'm not familiar enough with Group 4 to know if he could be exempt. As Chief, he probably couldn't but as Commissioner, it might be a different set of rules.

Either way, I doubt he'll be the guy. At least I hope not because LTC applicants in Boston would find it harder than it might be now. I'd bet on an internal candidate, if I were betting.

Really? I've never heard of any Boston resident being issued a Class A ALP.

People who "work the box" get them all the time. If you don't know how to "work the box" you're not getting one.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom