News Alert: Person Shot @ AFS North Attleboro

That's why I avoid public ranges like the plague on the weekends (and the rest of the time too).
Hopefully it wasn't another suicide.

AFS should have the Samaritans' Hotline # on all their doors and ports at this rate. 😥

Better a suicide than negligence though. Not by much...

it was a suicide?

Not sure. It wouldn't be the first time though. They've had enough that they changed their policy on rentals a few years back. You can't rent if you're alone unless you have your LTC and your own firearm(s).

north attleboro (bristol county) 5 john l dietsch square pd on scene of a person shot at american firearms school medics report trauma arrest cpr in progress 1213

Here's what I got, but both alerts are rather short on details:

N. Attleboro, MA *Shooting* 5 John Dietsch Sq. SCVS O/S With Male Party Suffering From A GSW @ The American Firearms School. Unknown Circumstances. CPR In Progress. EMS Trans. 12:03pm

Man that sucks all around for the kids that were there and the guys brother not to mention the victim. Makes you wonder if the brother had any signs of behavior that family members would have picked up. I wouldn’t call out the guy who committed suicide, no one knows what he might have been going through and it’s terrible he saw no way out

2 buddies were there with their boys when it happened. Tells ms the deceased was there with his brother. I assume that they went together to rent, and one committed suicide. Sad that they also had to see it, especially the boys

What a turd. Bring him back to life, break every bone in his body and leave him.

Not sure. It wouldn't be the first time though. They've had enough that they changed their policy on rentals a few years back. You can't rent if you're alone unless you have your LTC and your own firearm(s).
I was reading this and thought it was a typo. Is the assumption that because I have my own gun if I wanted to shoot myself I would have done it already?

Well, yeah. Unless you want to bring your brother along and make it a public spectacle in front of a few kids, too. Otherwise, you've got a gun, you'll do it at home.

Now, here's a noodle-bender. If AFS doesn't allow singles, do those people still commit suicide in a different way?

Actual research at the Golden Gate Bridge and with other situations says in fact that no, they don't commit suicide. It's a combination of despair and availability. Disrupt the availability and these folks never off themselves. They aren't looking for a clever means of dispatch. They are looking for an expedient means of dispatch.

I was reading this and thought it was a typo. Is the assumption that because I have my own gun if I wanted to shoot myself I would have done it already?

Yes. Six years ago when I was totally new to shooting I asked what the reason was. The employee was kinda' beating around the bush and I wasn't picking up on it so he finally blurted it out. He seemed almost emotional about it and I felt bad for being so naive.

I had a client years ago in which the husband owned a successful business and his wife had a good career. As it came out in court proceedings (as I was doing a valuation of the company - my understanding initially was they wanted to cash out), they were both having affairs. Both had lives and opportunities post divorce if they wanted, but the wife went to a local range, rented a firearm, and ended it. 3 kids under 16 left behind. So many questions left unanswered.

I had 2 good friends that killed themselves, and a former colleague earlier this year I recently heard about. Sometimes you don’t know anything about the people you probably think you do. It’s a damn shame.

Yes. Six years ago when I was totally new to shooting I asked what the reason was. The employee was kinda' beating around the bush and I wasn't picking up on it so he finally blurted it out. He seemed almost emotional about it and I felt bad for being so naive.
There is also the liability issue. If you rent a gun to an armed individual it is tougher for plaintiffs counsel to successfully argue that the individual could not shot himself but for the supply of the gun by the range. I've noticed signs like "you may only rent in groups if you do not have a CCW" or "if you do not bring your own gun" in other states where rental ranges are more common.

Back
Top Bottom