• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newport, RI, to introduce anti gun resolution

Newport, RI, is introducing a "gun safety" resolution where they (she, Napolitano) wants to ban assault rifles, high capacity magazines, create a registry of gun owners, and report large quantities of ammunition sale to the ATF. She claims to support the 2A, but she doesn't think anyone needs AW or high capacity magazines. She also told me that a local police department said they only load one bullet in their gun...
She obviously doesn't know what she is talking about as you can see in the resolution.
I will be there opposing the bill and I hope a lot of other gun owners in Newport will do the same.
CITY OF NEWPORT

R E S O L U T I O N
OF THE
C O U N C I L
No.

WHEREAS, tragedies at schools, such as Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook, bring to the forefront the need to protect our most vulnerable citizens, our children and school personnel, from gun violence; and

WHEREAS, similar events have taken place in other public areas, such as the Aurora Theater and work places around the nation, and even at Ft. Hood, which is considered a secured environment; and

WHEREAS, the President of the United States has issued executive actions based on the recommendations of a Study Commission of gun violence, to promote fact- based, common sense legislation which would protect the rights and freedom of all citizens,

WHEREAS, there has been widespread support among those who own guns, and those who do not, for the recommendations that include: the banning of assault weapons and high capacity magazine clips of more than ten rounds; reporting of the sale of large quantities of ammunition to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF); requiring background checks on all gun purchasers, including those purchased at gun shows; and a number of other recommendations, all of which will be debated in Congress to control gun violence in America, which has permeated into every element of our society; and

WHEREAS, the State of Rhode Island currently does not currently have and should implement a centralized data base system to identify all legitimate gun registrations in the State, including the scope of concealed-carry weapons, which would greatly benefit all law enforcement agencies. NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT

CITY OF NEWPORT

R E S O L U T I O N
OF THE
C O U N C I L
No.
(Page 2)

RESOLVED: that the City of Newport supports the recommendations cited above, and hereby petitions our Congressional and State Delegations to promulgate the above listed recommendations for legislative enactment. AND BE IT FURTHER

RESOLVED: that copies this resolution be sent to not only our Congressional and State Legislative Delegations, but to all the cities and towns in the State of Rhode requesting their support on this vital issue.

JEANNE-MARIE NAPOLITANO

She claims she got that from Middletown (next town over), but it is just as laughable. Although she was nice and polite, she obviously does not know what she is taking about and this is not uncommon. The danger is that there are many like her, and this is the start of a grass root movement for people that believe all guns are evil and regardless of how wrong they are with their facts there will always be someone who believe in it. If this passes (I cannot imagine it will), it will go out to all towns in RI, and if they do the same it could pose a problem for gun owners despite so this needs to be stopped in its tracks.
It will be interesting to see who will support the resolution and if the police will testify in favor of it.

Good luck down there. I've visited Newport several times, particularly The Breakers and Marble House. Beautiful city. Just imagine owning one of those mansions with a room dedicated to rare and expensive firearms. [smile]

Almost 100 people showed up, both for (Million Moms) and against it. I spoke with most of the Council members and I knew the resolution did not have any support, but I went anyway. The resolution was watered down a lot and references to AWB, high capacity mags, registrations etc. were removed. It was just a big waste of time for everyone and this is what it now says after it was passed:
CITY OF NEWPORT

R E S O L U T I O N
OF THE
C O U N C I L
No.

WHEREAS, tragedies at schools, such as Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Sandy Hook, bring to the forefront the need to protect our most vulnerable citizens, our children and school personnel, from gun violence; and

WHEREAS, similar events have taken place in other public areas, such as the Aurora Theater and work places around the nation, and even at Ft. Hood, which is considered a secured environment; and

WHEREAS the Newport City Council has continually stressed its commitment to supporting and creating a safe, livable community for Newport and its residents and while preserving the rights provided in the State and Federal Constitutions; and

WHEREAS, there has been widespread support among those who own guns, and those who do not, for the need to continue discussions on the complicated issues of gun safety, safety in our schools, mental illness, and access to illegal guns. NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT
RESOLVED: that the Newport City Council supports ongoing open dialogue regarding gun safety at the State and Federal level. AND BE IT FURTHER

RESOLVED that the Newport City Council supports ongoing open dialogue on mental illness and its identification. AND BE IT FURTHER

RESOLVED that the Newport City Council strongly supports all efforts to remove illegal guns from our streets. AND BE IT FURTHER

RESOLVED: that copies of this resolution be sent to our Congressional and State Legislative Delegations, and to all the cities and towns in the State of Rhode Island.

JEANNE-MARIE NAPOLITANO
IN COUNCIL
READ AND PASSED

One problem with that... it kinda violates state law... so good luck.

***§ 11-47-58**Firearms – State preemption. – The control of firearms, ammunition, or their component parts regarding their ownership, possession, transportation, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, purchase delay, licensing, registration, and taxation shall rest solely with the state, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.

***§ 11-47-41**Government firearm registration prohibited. – No government agency of this state or its political subdivisions shall keep or cause to be kept any list or register of privately owned firearms or any list or register of the owners of those firearms; provided, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to firearms which have been used in committing any crime of violence, nor to any person who has been convicted of a crime of violence.

Last edited:
Yeah, these idiots have all been informed of state preemption and registration prohibitions by now. They're Town-Hack-Lawyers finally figured it out. And for this reason, most Town Councils have dropped out of the process and are nto wasting any time on it any more. Newport and Providence are just spinning their wheels.

He was right,they only load one bullet in the gun.One bullet in the pipe,the rest are in the magazine.

Newport, RI, is introducing a "gun safety" resolution where they (she, Napolitano) wants to ban assault rifles, high capacity magazines, create a registry of gun owners, and report large quantities of ammunition sale to the ATF. She claims to support the 2A, but she doesn't think anyone needs AW or high capacity magazines. She also told me that a local police department said they only load one bullet in their gun...
She obviously doesn't know what she is talking about as you can see in the resolution.
I will be there opposing the bill and I hope a lot of other gun owners in Newport will do the same.
This is like claiming to support fair housing laws but thinking that laws and deed covenants establishing where blacks, Jews and Muslims may buy or rent housing.

As to the second point - I could not fine a Maybery, RI on google maps.

Almost 100 people showed up, both for (Million Moms) and against it. I spoke with most of the Council members and I knew the resolution did not have any support, but I went anyway. The resolution was watered down a lot and references to AWB, high capacity mags, registrations etc. were removed. It was just a big waste of time for everyone and this is what it now says after it was passed:

So a "nothing burger" - good.

Back
Top Bottom