• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie trying to decide on first purchase

Hi Becka,

The Ruger MkII or MKIII is a great choice. Get one with adjustable sights. It'll last you forever. It really is a great value.

There are some great revolvers out there. Stick to Ruger and S&W. Not that there aren't good Taurus's out there, but there seem to be a bunch of dogs too. Don't try to pick between them as a newbie. Go with something known good. A used SW or Ruger revolver will servew you well at a good value.

My advice is to handle a bunch of pistols and revolvers. Go off hours to a good shop like Four Seasons or Collectors and try a bunch. You're already GREEN so you can go to a NES shoot where you can try a bunch of stuff too before buying.

Good luck,
Matt

Thank you for your suggestions

I appreciate all of your suggestions and input. I had a chance to shoot some revolvers at Second Amendment Sisters on Saturday and it reinforced my decision for a .22 - so I'll let you know what I end up buying.

i have a almost brand new .22 for sale. it comes with 1 mags and and almost 100% brand new. the only reason why i say its not 100% brand new is because i have fired it about 30-40 times. other then that it is 100% flawless, clean inside and out. please let me know if you would like this .22

i have a attached a picture of it. it is a sig sauer mosquito, and is awesome for beginners.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee278/warner_ro/shooting/mygirl3.jpg

selling it for $300. so please let me know if your interested. i will also include some ammo for free, but you will need to pay for shipping charges. thanks again

Last edited:
BTW i am new to this forum, but i am a member on glocktalk.com and thefiringline.com

my user name for glock talk, is the same as this one here

My dad suggests I get a revolver. After hearing in the pistol class I took a couple of weeks ago that revolvers are easier to take care of (and more reliable after years of non-use), I'm inclined to agree

If you get one dont let it sit for years,use it and practice[grin]

My dad suggests I get a revolver. After hearing in the pistol class I took a couple of weeks ago that revolvers are easier to take care of (and more reliable after years of non-use), I'm inclined to agree

If you get one dont let it sit for years,use it and practice[grin]

revolvers take more time to clean because you need to clean each chamber. but they deff are more reliable. no jamming. i have a S&W 642, which is awesome but it packs a hard punch and isnt for shooting 100 rounds at a time in the range. thats why i have a glock which stays by my side all the time. S&W is a great back up gun for in your car, when drawing your firearm on your hip isnt an option.

Before I say anything else, I am new to this whole world of firearms, so please be gentle if I make any mistakes. I have done some research both online and through some books from the library.

Some background: I have applied for my class A in Waltham, so I will be getting a target and hunting restriction. Therefore, my first purchase is not likely to be something I'd carry concealed, unless I go out of state to NH with a non-res permit. I want a .22 because I'd also like to get a rifle a bit later on and I'd like to keep it easy and affordable. Ideally I'd like to keep the price around $300 for my first buy (and I'd be perfectly okay with a used gun).

My dad suggests I get a revolver. After hearing in the pistol class I took a couple of weeks ago that revolvers are easier to take care of (and more reliable after years of non-use), I'm inclined to agree. If I did go the revolver route, it looked the Taurus model 94 or the Taurus model pt22 or pt25 look good. However, the Ruger I handled in class was very comfortable for me. And now that I have experience with loading it and how to handle a misfire, I'm wondering if I should just go with the Mark III. My next choice would be a Sig Mosquito.

Since the Ruger is the gun I've shot most recently (and actually the only one I've shot out of all the guns I've listed here), I obviously have no idea how I'd like the other ones, so I'll be going off your suggestions.

Any feedback on which way I should go - revolver or semi? And any feedback on any of the Taurus models I mentioned? And how about a Mossberg International 702 Plinkster for a rifle?
I appreciate any feedback you're willing to give.

I think you're on the right track. A .22 revolver is the best "first handgun" for someone who wants to acquire handgun marksmanship skills.

What I would do is hunt around to find a good, used (pre-lock) Smith & Wesson Model 17 (6") or 18 (4"). If, in the course of your hunt, you come across a good used Model 41 .22 auto, snap it up.

Step 2: buy a case of good, standard-velocity .22 ammo (my preference is plain old green Remington).

Step 3: find someone who will spend a little time taking you through the rudiments of basic pistol marksmanship (beyond what you learned in the LTC course).

The process of purchasing a gun

I'm pretty ready to buy my first gun (I'm torn between the Mark II or III, a Walther P22, and I actually liked the S&W 22a as well. I liked the Ruger Single Six if I go the revolver route). Will there be a noticeable difference in recoil for me if I get a P22 VS the Mark III that I've shot? I want to learn to be good and if I'm afraid of my gun that won't happen.
I've been told by one shop that they'd make me a great deal. How do I do this? I have the 2009 buying guide issue of Guns & Ammo that gives me prices for the guns I mentioned. How does one try for a "deal" - knowing the price differences I saw at the gun show for the same gun, do I aim for prices in there? Or are the prices I'll see in a shop going to be different than what's in the magazine?
Say I pick one. Can someone walk me through what I can expect after that? How long does it usually take? I'll have to buy a gun lock as well, right? Do I need to buy a locked container when I buy the gun, or if for some reason we got pulled over is it okay to have it just in it's originaly box if I have a receipt for that day?

Last edited:
22a is an auto, not a revolver.

.22 recoil is pretty similar across all the pistols I've used. Heavier ones usually move less due to their mass. But none with the exception of the really tiny revolvers are anything to worry about.

I really recommend that you take a formal shooting course to learn the fundamentals. That will always help you to focus on the process and not the actions of the handgun. In any case, I don't see any of your choices apt to "scare" you. I would avoid the Walther unless it is the only one that really fits you only because I've been hearing a lot of cases where it requires service well before most pistols do.

Rather than worry about saving every last penny, I'd use your first purchase to find a shop you feel comfortable with. Buy from the one you will feel at ease going back for supplies or help when you need it. Later, as you become more experienced, you can let the price matter more.

The buying process is no more complex than buying a large ticket item. There is some paperwork you'll have to fill out. Just follow the instructions and read the questions. You'll have to either place your finger on a print reader or give your PIN. The dealer will have to call in for the NICS. All in all, it should take about 5-10 minutes depending on how busy things are.

The dealer will provide a lock and probably won't let you leave without the gun being 'legal'. It might not be the best secured container, but it will satisfy the letter of the law.

Last edited:
I highly recommend the 22A, it's a hell of a plinker that gets overshadowed by the Mark III. Much easier for a newbie to disassemble and clean, too, which is important

Meanwhile, quite a few P22s have turned out to be lemons...

get a .357.... naw jk. i have a .22 cal i am selling for 250, its in brand new condition. let me know if your interested. its a sig sauer. low round count. 250 + S&H.

Back
Top Bottom