• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie trying to decide on first purchase

Before I say anything else, I am new to this whole world of firearms, so please be gentle if I make any mistakes. I have done some research both online and through some books from the library.

Some background: I have applied for my class A in Waltham, so I will be getting a target and hunting restriction. Therefore, my first purchase is not likely to be something I'd carry concealed, unless I go out of state to NH with a non-res permit. I want a .22 because I'd also like to get a rifle a bit later on and I'd like to keep it easy and affordable. Ideally I'd like to keep the price around $300 for my first buy (and I'd be perfectly okay with a used gun).

My dad suggests I get a revolver. After hearing in the pistol class I took a couple of weeks ago that revolvers are easier to take care of (and more reliable after years of non-use), I'm inclined to agree. If I did go the revolver route, it looked the Taurus model 94 or the Taurus model pt22 or pt25 look good. However, the Ruger I handled in class was very comfortable for me. And now that I have experience with loading it and how to handle a misfire, I'm wondering if I should just go with the Mark III. My next choice would be a Sig Mosquito.

Since the Ruger is the gun I've shot most recently (and actually the only one I've shot out of all the guns I've listed here), I obviously have no idea how I'd like the other ones, so I'll be going off your suggestions.

Any feedback on which way I should go - revolver or semi? And any feedback on any of the Taurus models I mentioned? And how about a Mossberg International 702 Plinkster for a rifle?
I appreciate any feedback you're willing to give.

Last edited:
First off, congratulations!

What will you be using the gun for? Is this something you'll just be using to target shoot or will you be relying on it to defend yourself as well? Is there a partucular reason you want to stay with .22lr as your caliber?

VERY good idea to start with a .22LR. If you want a revolver a S&W 617 is nice but out of your price range. If you decide on a semi-auto you can't go wrong with a Ruger MkIII either in 22/45 (1911 grip) or regular mkIII (steeper grip). You can get a new 22/45 for ~230+tax or a mkIII for <= 300+ tax. Both of those are 5.5" bull barrel, blued, and cash prices at AG GUns

If you want it in a hurry, Four Seasons probably has it for slightly more, if you don't mind waiting a week you can get it cheaper at AG. Ask me how I know [wink]

As far as handguns go, I would do everything possible to "try before you buy".
I always tell people to let the gun find them. It will just feel "right" in your hand when you pick it up.

I am biased against Taurus (long story, from long ago). When it comes to revolvers, I am a S&W guy.

You cannot go wrong with a .22. They are cheap to shoot, which equals more shooting time which equals better skills.

Shop around and don't be afraid to look at used guns. Go shopping with a knowledgeable friend and try to go when the shop isn't busy.

As far as a rifle, same rules apply.

come up to Manchester and go to Manchester Firing Line, 14 dollars an hour for range time, rent some different guns until you find one you like.

The Ruger Mk series are good range guns, cheap to fire, but a PITA to clean, Buy one if you find it for reasonable money

Find yourself a nice snub nosed .38 S&W, anything from a model 36 on up to a 642
It isn't going to make a nice range gun, but for home protection at 21 feet it is a nice gun and IMHO one of the ten guns everyone should own.

Unfortunately you are in MA so where I would normally suggest a Glock, on the basis of it being idiot proof and indestructible, I would suggest you save your money towards a S&W M&P in 9mm. I say 9 because it is cheaper to shoot. A used Glock in MA is 2oo dollars more than it is in the free world, but the M&P's are a good deal, and the inserts for the grips make it so you are going to get a good feel when it is in your hands.

First off, congratulations!

What will you be using the gun for? Is this something you'll just be using to target shoot or will you be relying on it to defend yourself as well? Is there a partucular reason you want to stay with .22lr as your caliber?

I would say primarily just to target shoot, since I won't be able to carry.
I've just heard that .22lr are inexpensive, and I could therefore shoot more for less money. Since I want to learn to be a great shot, I anticipate a lot of practice. :)

Becka,

I've only been at this a short time, so I'll share my experiences. But do remember I'm a newbie too.

In regards to a 22 rifle, I spent some time at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/ checking out their suggestions. There is a lot of support for the CZ 452 and 453. It is more expensive to start with than the 10/22 that is also very popular, but you won't need to upgrade or alter much. It works well right out of the box. That is the route I took and bought the CZ 452. It is a gorgeous rifle and shoots nice groups even with a new guy holding it.

I also bought a Sig Mosquito. First, I enjoyed shooting it. It is a fun little gun to shoot. The dealer did warn me to use only CCI High Velocity ammo, and that it likely would jam a few times during the first hundred rounds. It did just that and then smoothed right out. I like the feel of it a great deal.

Having said that it broke the second time I used it. A piece broke off the slide right behind the barrel block. The dealer was great and sent it back to Sig for repair, and I'm hoping to get it back soon. And I'm hoping for more success once I get it back because it is a great way to spend a few hours plinking.

22LR is fun and cheap to shoot. But I also like shooting my SIG 239 in 9mm. That is a cool little gun! And my favorite to shoot right now is the S&W 686 with 8 3/8 barrel. [grin][grin][grin]

Congrats on your new hobby. It is a blast... no pun intended!

Cheers,

Rich

My first .22 was the MKIII 22/45. Its a solid gun, and does the trick. It can be a pain to disassemble the first few times, but don't let that scare you. Just use one of the good online guides to disassemble and reassemble as the manual doesn't do a good job explaining it in my opinion.

When it comes time to get a .22 rifle, you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Its the rifle of choice for some of the best rifle training you can get. I would recommend tech-sights if you do go this route, I can't stand the stock sights (couldn't hit anything with them). My girlfriend didn't have any issues with the stock sights so it might not be an issue for you.

The one piece of advice I took when I asked this very question a ways back was to find a .22 pistol that is more accurate than you are. A pistol with poor accuracy characteristics is not a very effective training tool (which is really what a .22 pistol will be). You want to make sure you can improve your habits with whatever you do end up purchasing.

Becca:

Don't assume that a good Smith and Wesson .22 revolver (as suggested above) is out of your reach. A good condition used one may well be found in your range. Remember, as long as the gun is taken care of, a used firearm is almost always a great value...

BTW, I agree with most everything that's been said so far, I just don't want to repeat it all and bore you.

My first .22 was the MKIII 22/45. Its a solid gun, and does the trick. It can be a pain to disassemble the first few times, but don't let that scare you. Just use one of the good online guides to disassemble and reassemble as the manual doesn't do a good job explaining it in my opinion.

When it comes time to get a .22 rifle, you can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Its the rifle of choice for some of the best rifle training you can get. I would recommend tech-sights if you do go this route, I can't stand the stock sights (couldn't hit anything with them). My girlfriend didn't have any issues with the stock sights so it might not be an issue for you.

The one piece of advice I took when I asked this very question a ways back was to find a .22 pistol that is more accurate than you are. A pistol with poor accuracy characteristics is not a very effective training tool (which is really what a .22 pistol will be). You want to make sure you can improve your habits with whatever you do end up purchasing.

+1. Becka, given what you've said I agree 100% with Ninsho

Mossberg International 702 Plinkster for a rifle?

I have one it's a great rifle, especially for the price. I ran 1000 rounds through it rather quickly w/o cleaning it, 500 of which were Thunderbolts (more on that later [laugh]).

My only gripe about the 702 is cleaning it. the bolt / charging handle are a little PITA to get back in on your first time. Oh and the magazines are impossible to find, even from Mossberg.

note: IF you plan on customizing the rifle, I'd say go with a Ruger 10/22. Another .22 Rifle I have my eye on is a Savage w / accutrigger. It's always on Sale at Dick's Sporting Goods and one of these days I'll impluse buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend that you attend the Marlboro show that is coming up in a couple weeks and look them all over.

I have a Ruger Mk III and its a great gun. Look for a used one they are pretty easy to find you will save a good chunk of change. The only downside to the ruger IMO was the sights. I bought a Millet red dot sight after a week or so and love it.

Firing line has a number of them in stock for rental, however theirs are dirty and worn so you will get some jams. A newer one broken in with bulk ammo will be much better.

I highly reccomend the Ruger MkIII. I am pretty much a newbie too. I bought the Glock 23 first shot it a few times not so good grouping, finally listened to some "smarter" advice and got the Ruger at Fourseasons for about $250. Bought about a billion rounds for a buck (well almost) and shoot
in very tight groups. This gun will let you learn without developing any flinch habits. I have since bought a red dot scope for it. A very fun gun that the wife and kids can shoot well also. Whatever you get have fun and be safe.

I highly reccomend the Ruger MkIII. I am pretty much a newbie too. I bought the Glock 23 first shot it a few times not so good grouping, finally listened to some "smarter" advice and got the Ruger at Fourseasons for about $250. Bought about a billion rounds for a buck (well almost) and shoot
in very tight groups. This gun will let you learn without developing any flinch habits. I have since bought a red dot scope for it. A very fun gun that the wife and kids can shoot well also. Whatever you get have fun and be safe.

[laugh] my first handgun I bought was a Glock 22 - got rid of it and went to a 9mm.

[rolleyes] i still flinch sometimes when I shoot my G23.

I'm traumatized. [rofl] I do fine with the .45, 9mm, .22LR and .40 in anything except for Glocks. The .40 is a beast in Glocks (IMO).

If you're looking for a revolver, any single action 22 from Ruger would be a good start with a low cost. But for a double action, a Smith & Wesson would be the best (Colts (Trooper III) would be as good or better but cost prohibitive). Personally, the Smith model 617 stainless (6" barrel and either 6 or 10 round cylinder) is very good, but used in good condition would be in the 4-500 dollar range (I prefer the older models with out the internal safety). For a pistol in stainless, the Ruger Mark II Target (6-7/8" barrel) would be the best option IMHO and could be had in the 300-350 dollar range. I prefer the Mark II's over the Mark III's because they don't have the mag disconnect on them and think the older models have a better trigger pull. On the other hand if you're looking for a good quality inexpensive pistol, an older Smith model (422, available with 6" and ~4" barrel lengths) is a nice light weight alloy frame gun (2-300 dollar range), looks very much like a model 41 and they use the same magazines (as an evil thought the older magazines are 12 round compared to the newer Mass compliant ones which are 10 round mags).

I'm new here and very green with regard to what I went with for my first handgun(s).

My first was a used Sig P239 9mm. I liked it but didn't know any better not to like it.

I then got a wild hair for something new, and went to four seasons and walked out with an S&W 642 .38 special.

That wasn't a wise choice since I don't carry and simply enjoy going to Hanson rod and gun for indoor/outdoor range shooting.

That said, it was interesting to try it out, but it wasn't "fun" to shoot, and I simply did not have the interest in trying to learn it. I gave up on it, sold it for a killer deal on consignment at four seasons. Idiot me, I still have 340 rounds of .38 that I never shot before selling it! oh well.

I would always joke to myself that firing the Sig was like driving a cadillac after blasting off 50 rounds in the little 642.

I recently picked up a Sig .45. This is as enjoyable as the 9mm to fire.

The reason I went with Sig AGAIN was because I took the time to learn how to break down my 9mm and clean it. I developed a bit of a comfort level on that front which was new to me and helped me along in learning about maintenance.

Tmrrw I am picking up a S&W .40 from a local guy. He is selling off East Bridgewater's S&W's and am picking it up for a fair price to fart around with and again, try something new.

If I had more buddies that shoot, I would have more experience firing their weapons but alas, i'm on my own.

My next step is a .22 rifle. I think a Ruger 10/22 would be fun and seems to be a simple platform to learn from and modify w/ aftermarket stuff.

Whatever you choose, be safe, have a good time, and enjoy the learning curve.

Becka, Given that you're starting out and will have a restricted license, I think you're wise to begin with a 22. The only way to learn to shoot is to do it a lot and that costs money. Put it this way: 100 shots with a 22 can be a low as $5. The lowest cost of 100 shots with 9mm which is the next cheapest ammo, would be around $16. So you see you can shoot about 3x more for your money while you're learning trigger technique, sighting, etc. As for choice of gun, no one can tell you which one will fit your hand the best and that fit is a lot of what makes shooting fun. When you get a gun that is a good fit in your hand, you will know it right away. Your fingers wrap around perfectly and your index finger sits naturally on the trigger. If it doesn't feel quite right when you pick it up and sight with it then don't buy it. I have a Ruger MKIII that fits my hand perfectly and I absolutely love shooting it. I also had a Walther P22 which I thought was a wonderful pistol, but it was just a bit too small for my hand. If you have small hands, you might want to consider the p22. My advice? I'd go for an automatic, magazine type pistol because when you eventually move up, you will almost certainly move up to an auto for self defense and you will then already be familiar with it. Look at those who need self defense guns for a living like the police and military. Do any of them use revolvers anymore? But then again there is something to be said for them for civilian self defense because they are simple, reliable, they always go bang when you pull the trigger, and the trigger pull is usually somewhat heavy so they won't tend to go off accidentally in a "nervous" hand. Since you're in Waltham, I'd suggest going over to Four Seasons in Woburn and handling their nice selection of 22 pistols and seeing which one fits your hand. They're great there and very helpful and respectful to new shooters. Especially Carl who owns the place. Best of luck and welcome to the club...

I would also have to second Ruger for the MKIII and 10/22. I have both and they are great. the pistol is a bit of a pain the first few times you take it apart, but it works very well and it comfortable in my hand. My brother has the S&W 22a which costs less than the MKIII and is still a very nice pistol. I just don't like the grip his has.

[laugh] my first handgun I bought was a Glock 22 - got rid of it and went to a 9mm.

[rolleyes] i still flinch sometimes when I shoot my G23.

I'm traumatized. [rofl] I do fine with the .45, 9mm, .22LR and .40 in anything except for Glocks. The .40 is a beast in Glocks (IMO).

I love my G22, I can shoot it a hell of a lot better than my M&P40 but the blame lies on the MA trigger.

I love my G22, I can shoot it a hell of a lot better than my M&P40 but the blame lies on the MA trigger.

you must be gifted. [laugh]

because I can fire my M&P40 like Sam Sneed and empty the "clip" into a 4" hole at 30ft.

on the G-ride / Glock? ummmmm no.

it's my semi-auto version of a snubby wheel gun.

i can hit the target, but NOT as good as I'd like to.

Pistol: S&W 22A - Should run you about $160-200 used, a little more new. Great gun that is highly underrated.

Rifle: Ruger 10/22 - Should run you in the $150-200 range depending on new/used for the basic model.

Becca,

I have a handful of different .22 handguns. You might want to take a look at the Browning Buckmark. There are a wide variety of them out there and I am sure one of them would suit your needs. I prefer the Buckmark over the Ruger MKII/MkIII because they are a bit lighter and just feel more balanced. I also have Walther P22, that is a real fun gun to shoot (the P22 is very similiar to the Mosquito).

In regards to a rifle, I was very impressed with the CZ Lux. I think it was model number 452 (or something like that).

I am sure you will be very happy with whatever you get!!!

Last edited:
Everything depends on YOUR likes and dislikes. If you prefer revolvers, then look at the Smith and Wesson 617 or 317.
If pistols are your cup of tea, you won't go wrong with any Ruger series, SIG Mosquito, or Smith and Wesson 22A. You might like the Walther P22 as well.

I would suggest a trip up to Four Seasons during a not too busy time, avoid Saturday mornings. They have almost all the above models in stock. Pick something you like.

first gun purchase

Big Daddy's advice is good. Try as many as you can and see what you like. I shoot every Saturday and Sunday at Harvard Sportsmans Club. I have the following: S&W model 34 revolver model 17 6" revolver model 617 4" 10 shot revolver model 41 auto model 22a auto Glock model 17 with .22 kit and walther p22. I also have a ruger 1022T rifle. You're welcome to try any or all of them.

If you are looking for a .22 target pistol you can't go wrong with a Ruger MK-III. They are simply great. Someone mentioned they are hard to clean, but in reality, you only have to clean it once or twice a year at most. They just work great, and run on the cheapest ammo available too. That all adds up to lots of fun shooting without having to spend too much time cleaning.

-Cuz.

Well, Becka, I have a Mark II, and love it. I would say that either that one, if you can find one, or the Mark III make great target shooting guns.

My first guns were a Taurus PT111, and then an Ruger SP101 - I really decided to pick up the Mark II (from a dealer in Texas) because it is cheaper to shoot. It is extremely accurate. Actually when I shoot now I take the Mark II and my Springfield 1911 together most often - I like the "kick" of the 1911, and keeps me in practice with a bigger gun. [grin]

mossberg plinkster is a POS. I bought one and could not get off it quick enough. Get yourself a 10/22 ruger instead.

I agree, revolvers are great, Taurus is hard to find in MA, but used smith model 36 .38 cal are everywhere at a reasonable price. Great choice, everyone does (or should) own a j frame smith.

As others have mentioned, Ruger's semi-auto .22 Mark II/III is very accurate, if somewhat of a PITA to clean, and can readily be had in your price range. Once you get the hang of the break down procedure, it's no more work than cleaning a revolver.

.22 rifle? Marlin Model 60. Punches quarter-sized groups at 50 yards using inexpensive ammo. While it might not have the best trigger action, it's accurate, easy to handle, easy to clean and can usually be found used for around $100. Great plinker for short money.

Back
Top Bottom