Newbie Shoot at Harvard - Sun. April 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ.Uncle

NES Life Member
NES Member
jdubois has kindly agreed to meet up with me and my better half, Mrs. BBQ, at Harvard at noon on Sunday, April 5th to get us acquainted with some of his firarms. My 51% and I are about to make our first gun purchases in the next couple of weeks and we'd like to get a good idea of what fits well, shoots well, etc.

We'd love to see other NES'rs there, assuming they also are Harvard Sportsmen's Club members and if they'd like to bring along guests within Harvard's guidelines, that would be great.

It'd be nice meeting more of you... and we were wondering if some of you also wouldn't mind showing your guns, offering pointers & letting us new folk fire off a couple of rounds?

We'd really appreciate it. [grin]

Last edited:
I thought this was a post inviting other noobs.

How can you wait? My LTC couldn't get to my house fast enough and then I had to get to the gun shop pronto! Now I can't stop thinking about going back.

I had planned on shooting that Sunday anyway. I can bring some bang bang goodies.

I do believe that I'll be trying to make it. With luck, maybe even bring some noobs who want to shoot, too.

Last edited:
I had planned on shooting that Sunday anyway. I can bring some bang bang goodies.

Rob, if it's ok, I'm going to try to meet you there to get the brass catcher. I could bring a few of meager collection for the newbs to try out also. I'm not a Harvard member though so it's totally up to you.

Rob, if it's ok, I'm going to try to meet you there to get the brass catcher. I could bring a few of meager collection for the newbs to try out also. I'm not a Harvard member though so it's totally up to you.

Crap, nevermind. The boss just informed me she signed me up for something.

Is there anything specific you want to try?

This is great! More the merrier! Mrs. BBQ and I aren't Harvard members, but will be going as jdubois' guests. I imagine anyone going would either have to be a member or going along as the guest of a member.

Anything specific we'd like to try? Welllll....something simple like a .22 to let her get her feet wet would be great...various wheel guns. Maybe .38, .45 semi's. Whatever you all like for a carry gun. Pump shotguns, rifles...etc.

We're in the market to buy a carry for her and me, rifle & shotgun...maybe more depending on how much we've spent after that.

Also wondering if we should bring targets with us or what ya'll shoot when you're at that range?

We're very happy to pay for any ammo we go through, especially considering the recent uptick in cost & issues with availability.

Guess I need to check my calender - is that the same weekend as the meeting on the prior Thursday?

If so, I should be there as I'd like to join...

That's it, HSC invasion by NES! (again!)

Sounds like fun. I don't know what our schedule will be like at the moment, but I have a feeling we'll be there.

Guess I need to check my calender - is that the same weekend as the meeting on the prior Thursday?

If so, I should be there as I'd like to join...

Yes. Member's meeting is on (this coming) Thursday the 2nd (6:15pm), Safety tour/briefing is usually the following Sunday (the 5th in this case). Also the kitchen will be open for breakfast from 7:30am to 10:30am.

Yes. Member's meeting is on (this coming) Thursday the 2nd (6:15pm), Safety tour/briefing is usually the following Sunday (the 5th in this case). Also the kitchen will be open for breakfast from 7:30am to 10:30am.
Oooo, so can I bring the AR to shoot as a guest that weekend? I need to sight in the new toy...

Also wondering if we should bring targets with us or what ya'll shoot when you're at that range?

We're very happy to pay for any ammo we go through, especially considering the recent uptick in cost & issues with availability.
I will be bringing Redcoat targets, Classification AQTs and QD AQTs.

And a metric buttload of .22. I'll have some 9 and .45 but I'm low on .38 and .357. 12GA I'm almost completely out of but I'll have the Mossy 500 with it's SpecOps recoil-reducing stock.

I'll be there too...to help and share, shoot, etc.

AR15, Colt 1911 GCNM, S&W 1911sc and I'll bring a Ruger MKIII .22lr

its fun for a first timer...low recoil etc

great to see lots of interest...last sunday the range was busy

and Qmmo was there so we could stock up...dave

DRAT! Would love to come to a group outting and meet more folks since I'm a) a new member at HSC and b) have only met maybe 2-3 people from NES.

Unfortunately I promised the future Mrs. that we'll go visit the future in-laws in Vt. next weekend since I have "firearm-related projects" I wanted to do this weekend.

We need wheelguns. I know he's interested in trying a few for possible carry and I'm woefully under-equipped with revolvers. I'll probably be bringing at least my M9, P229, Mosquito, 1911, AR and AK.

I have an SAA but that is not a carry gun. The rest of my toys are semi-auto. Maybe he will want to carry a MK23... [thinking]
I will try to make it, but the schedule is weird in the next few weeks.

All you HSC members do know that it's 1 guest per member right ?

You can't just stand at the gate and let everybody in and hold NES shoots..

There will be enough HSC members to find a way to pair people up I am sure.

greg said:

You can't just stand at the gate and let everybody in and hold NES shoots..
There will be enough HSC members to find a way to pair people up I am sure.

There actually isn't a limit of guests per member, though you are responsible for your guests actions and to not completely hog/monopolize the facilities. (Play nice, play safe, and share. Easy to do.)

On the other hand, in all fairness, if we have a whole bunch of non-members showing up frequently they should either bite the bullet and join HSC, or we should start a donation to the club kitty.

What, did Riverside take over management of Harvard? [laugh] But just to be clear, this isn't an 'NES shoot'. It's BBQ.Uncle and his wife and I going to Harvard on Sunday. We just invited others to come join us if they wish. The ratio of members to guests is very weighted to members.

caillean said:
if we have a whole bunch of non-members showing up frequently they should either bite the bullet and join HSC

Absolutely.

Last edited:
if we have a whole bunch of non-members showing up frequently they should either bite the bullet and join HSC
Absolutely.

Heh, it looks like that's already been happening... Feb new members meeting was NES invasion (24 new members), and March there were another 22 new members, and I'm sure a bunch were NES. Oh, give up already, then entire forum who's within reasonable driving distance _will_ end up joining, I just know it! ;)

FYI, it looks like 8 HSC members, 1 joining that week, and maybe 3-4 guests (including BBQ.Uncle & wife).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom