• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie Shoot at Harvard - Sun. April 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.
as if i neeeded another reason to go to HSC on a weekend.

put me down.

can we start a list of guns? i really don't want to duplicate effort...

but i'll bring my 10/22 for starters....

as if i neeeded another reason to go to HSC on a weekend.

put me down.

can we start a list of guns? i really don't want to duplicate effort...

but i'll bring my 10/22 for starters....

My GF just got her CCW and her first gun. This could be a good op for her. Is this a done deal? What time for starting? She can bring a MnP .40 compact if anyone wants to try that.

So around noon next Sat. I believe there's an IDPA match the day before (4th).
It's happening Sunday the 5th.

I may make it. I'm headed up to Maine tomorrow for several days, so it depends upon when needs to be done next Sunday. If I can, I will bring most of my handguns, at least the Ruger GP100 (.357) and Mk2 (.22), S&W J-frame (.38 spl+P), G21 (.45), M&P 9mm and maybe the CZ52 (7.62x25). We'll see.

Last edited:
All you HSC members do know that it's 1 guest per member right ?

You can't just stand at the gate and let everybody in and hold NES shoots..

thats not what i was told while i was given the tour at harvard. the man in charge of it basically said it was as many people as could be safely control at once, which he considered to be 2.

Heh, it looks like that's already been happening... Feb new members meeting was NES invasion (24 new members), and March there were another 22 new members, and I'm sure a bunch were NES. Oh, give up already, then entire forum who's within reasonable driving distance _will_ end up joining, I just know it! ;)

FYI, it looks like 8 HSC members, 1 joining that week, and maybe 3-4 guests (including BBQ.Uncle & wife).

I hope so, if you think the member/guest issue isn't an issue you might want to rethink that. It would be a shame to have rules tightened because some choose to liberally interpret them.

Laughing at Greg for mentioning it is pretty childish.

I hope so, if you think the member/guest issue isn't an issue you might want to rethink that. It would be a shame to have rules tightened because some choose to liberally interpret them.

Laughing at Greg for mentioning it is pretty childish.

No, true, it's fine for Greg to mention it. As somebody who cares about his club, his showing concern is never inappropriate.

But one of the reasons Harvard is a great club compared to some of the others in the area is that it doesn't have a lot of BS rules and regulations. All the bylaws of the club state regarding guests is that "Members are strictly responsible for the conduct of any guests using any facility." Simple enough. If my guests cause trouble for the club or other members, it's my ass on the line. I'm not going to let hordes of non-members run around the place unattended to, because beyond the fact that I'm ethically responsible for their conduct, I don't want to lose my membership.

Considering the fact that about 90% of the people who I've had as guests at Harvard in the past have become members, guests, in my eyes, are a good thing.

(BTW, none of the few people who I will be bringing with me as guests are unknown to me, excepting BBQ.Uncle's wife. My offer to 'let anybody be my guest' that day probably sounded a bit liberal, but I didn't intend it to mean 'anybody'. I've updated that post)

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying and I agree with it. I just don't want to see an open invatition for a bunch of guests and not have enough members to cover them. Harvard is a great club, probably my favorite in MA, I would hate to see policy changed because of a perception here on NES.

[laugh2][laugh]

I'll have my Socom, Mossy and Sig. Thanks J.

That's the Socom I, right? And the 590A1, right? I think you and I are going to be pals that day... [grin][laugh] If I can make it. I will bring my pre '86 AK, my SP1, my mini 14, my Socom pistol, etc; Got any requests? I don't have my FS2000 yet so that is out and everything I have is not terribly exotic except for one of the best Ishy MkIIIs in existence. I will bring that to.

Sorry everyone. I'm as much or more to blame than anyone else. I thought it'd be great to meet other NES folk (assuming they're also Harvard members or would join us under the confines of any guest rules) and didn't anticipate at all the enthusiastic response to my original post. I don't want to get anyone into trouble and definitely want to adhere to the club guidelines.

At this point I think I need to amend things & say that we'd love to see any NES members who happen to also be Harvard Sportsmen's Club members and if they'd like to bring along guests within Harvard's guidelines, that would be great.

If I can, I will bring most of my handguns, at least the Ruger GP100 (.357) and Mk2 (.22), S&W J-frame (.38 spl+P), G21 (.45), M&P 9mm and maybe the CZ52 (7.62x25). We'll see.

Do NOT bring that thing!! I don't need yet another gun to buy ammo for!!

That's the Socom I, right? And the 590A1, right? I think you and I are going to be pals that day... [grin][laugh] If I can make it. I will bring my pre '86 AK, my SP1, my mini 14, my Socom pistol, etc; Got any requests? I don't have my FS2000 yet so that is out and everything I have is not terribly exotic except for one of the best Ishy MkIIIs in existence. I will bring that to.

Yes, but I thought we already we're pals. [wink]

Do NOT bring that thing!! I don't need yet another gun to buy ammo for!!
You know you want one. Give in to the dark side. They even come with MA triggers. [smile]
Hey, at least 7.62x25 is still cheap and available...
You're telling me. I tried to pick up some 9mm at various places in ME while headed up to see my Dad for a few days. I think I got the last box of 9mm in the whole state at the WalMart in Ellsworth. I saw several boxes of 7.62x25 along the way.

thats not what i was told while i was given the tour at harvard. the man in charge of it basically said it was as many people as could be safely control at once, which he considered to be 2.

You're right bro,there really is no limit.

Apparently callien can control a whole line of shooters and is interpreting the spirit of the rule to suit her specific needs.

My concern is the influx of new members causing new rules to be implemented due to complete stupidity.

The plates at the 25 yard range have already been shot to shit by some idiot with an AR..

What's next ?

Harvard Facilities Question

I am a member of a smaller club about 35 minutes away from HSC that is a great club and is very close to my house. But I was considering joining HSC as a second club because it has longer rifle ranges, action shooting, etc.

How many shooting stalls are there at the indoor range and outdoor ranges? I've been on the website and can't find that information.

Thanks.

You're right bro,there really is no limit.

Apparently callien can control a whole line of shooters and is interpreting the spirit of the rule to suit her specific needs.

My concern is the influx of new members causing new rules to be implemented due to complete stupidity.

The plates at the 25 yard range have already been shot to shit by some idiot with an AR..

What's next ?

If you see someone damaging or misusing the property I would highly suggest confronting the person and also contacting the range officer. I was pissed this weekend when there were only 3 plates to shoot at on the 25yrd range.

If you see someone damaging or misusing the property I would highly suggest confronting the person and also contacting the range officer. I was pissed this weekend when there were only 3 plates to shoot at on the 25yrd range.

Yeah, that's a bummer. Shooting 3 plates & having to reset before you're out of ammo sucks.

Can we maybe get this thread locked? Any other HSC members that want to come by on Sunday can certainly come by. Also, Greg made a good point- we need to respect what we do with our club so that we don't lose what we have. His advice is well heeded. There's nothing more really to say about this. I don't want it to turn into a fight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom