Newbie - School me on NRA Highpower

BMX

NES Member
Recently acquired a M1A National Match and haven’t had that much fun shooting with any other rifle I’ve owned.

So thinking I’d like to give NRA Highpower a try.

What’s the best way to get into this locally (Mass)? I’m a member at Harvard Sportsmens so hoping they have something.

Lots of info out there, just difficult to wade through.

Thanks for your input.

When you say HP there are a number of options. Are you talking about Service Rifle with ARs/M1a/M1s or match rifle, Palma or F class? The answer to the question is really what rifle do you want to use. Do you want to shoot in a sling and coat or with a scope and bipod/front rest?

All are fun. I live in NH and quite frankly view Mass like the airport. Don't go there unless I can't drive around, and if I do I don't carry firearms. There are however, a number of ranges in MA that hold matches, and there are also monthly matches at up in Nashua. (and in ME at Scarborough) Everything here in New England is mid range out to 600 yards, you have to drive a while to get to a 1000 yard range.

Thanks. I’m talking service rifle without modifications. I just want to shoot what I got and not get in an arms race.

I'm happy to read about a new guy being interested in NRA/CMP, Across the Course Highpower. It has the longest tradition of firearm competition in the country. The true fundamentals of marksmanship are tested every time you step up to the line.

Both Nashua and Reading usually hold Service Rifle clinics that would be well worth your while to attend.

M14's are capable of excellent scores, but you'll be fighting an uphill battle against the scoped AR.

There are regular Across the Course (XTC) matches in Nashua, NH and Reading MA, as PatMcD notes. Need a sling, coat, ammo, at least 2 magazines, spotting scope, hearing protection, safety glasses, an empty chamber indicator, and a mat.

The course of fire in XTC is usually 50 shots:
10 shots standing slow fire at 200
10 shots sitting rapid (with a mag change) at 200
10 shots prone rapid (with mag change) at 300
20 shots prone slow fire at 600.

There may or may not be sighters depending on the course of fire. Most times you get 2 sighters at each stage.

There are also XTC matches that shoot 80 shots, check the program.

There are also "NRA Prone" matches that shoot 60 shots, 20 shots slow fire at 300, 500, 600. These may have unlimited or 2 sighters per stage.

Most people shooting 223s are shooting 69gr or 77gr bullets at the short lines and 77s or 80s at 600 yds. The rapid fire stages you need ammo that is mag length, slow fire you single load so they don't have to fit in the mag. Lighter bullets don't work well at 600.

If you know what you are shooting (i.e., what bullet and some idea of muzzle velocity) someone on the line will usually help you with your come ups.

see if you can catch a CMP clinic... a bunch of clubs do them at the start of the season (~April)
some will be listed on here:
CMP Club & Competition Tracker | Upcoming Competitions and Events

I took the lad to the Nashua F&G clinic a few years back - they do an outstanding job!
There's also the North East High Power Rifle League in central/western Mass, with matches at Hopkinton, Riverside, Chicopee & Westfield
Home (schedules & info) (you can stop to fish at the Quabbin on the way home from those matches ;))

They are a jolly bunch of guys that are VERY friendly to newcomers... they go out of their way to help new guys out & give advice to become a better marksman
Their matches have "Service Rifle" & "Match Rifle" categories.

(p.s. - be sure to have a sling - web or M1907)

NRA matches, yes.
You get 2 sighters as well and don’t have to break position after those.

Traditional CMP matches the rapids start from standing. Since the breakup last year there are also certain CMP matches fired in the NRA format.

When i first wanted to get into nra highpower/service rifle i started with local CMP matches then found Reading rifle and they got me on the line and shooting in no time. I have not been up there as many times as i would have liked and lucky to make the trip 1 time a year since my twins where born.

if you dont mind the drive OCSA in pembroke is starting the CMP games matches april 22 and the M1a will fit right in with the MondernMilitary match along with the garand match. There where be several shooters there with their new Bula M1a builds from last years bula sale.

im sure there are closer clubs in your area for cmp and NRA also.

Thanks a lot. This gives me a basic bearing of where to head next. I’ll hope to see you out there when it warms up a bit.

ps come on out to LSA Sunday morning matches & practice your standing position..... then when you do the NMC they'll wonder why the new guy is such a crack shot! ;)

I agree, work on Standing. That is where you will drop the most points. Too bad the rapid fire no longer starts from the standing to sitting position. I did not like it when the NRA changed the rapid fire stage to keeping the bolt open. In my opinion it is more of a safety issue keeping the bolt open.

Work to improve your standing scores, but EVERYBODY struggles with that position. In contrast, you MUST master the prone position. At least half of your score depends upon it.

Work to improve your standing scores, but EVERYBODY struggles with that position. In contrast, you MUST master the prone position. At least half of your score depends upon it.
I will say what I learned so far is I'm not that good at off hand my average is low to mid 80s with low 90s being very good days. My off hand scores are often shot at my average.
I'm into the low 90s prone BUT when I'm not shooting well my prone scores plumit. Rapids are either good or bad ....fun game.
I don't practice a lot at the range. Its either pellet rifle or dry fire.
I say get a decent 100 yard zero prone and bring ammo water,seat,pencil .....the rest will fall into place.

Nashua F&G is holding their CMP clinic on April 28. Go to their website and sign up.

I'm serious: go do that right now.
It'll be the best $50 you ever spent.

"Need a sling, coat, ammo, at least 2 magazines, spotting scope, hearing protection, safety glasses, an empty chamber indicator, and a mat."

While all these are used as you are just starting out dont go crazy spending money on all of them, A GI cotton sling will take you a long way, ask Pat he uses one, for now a spotting scope that has an angled eye piece or ask to borrow someones for your first few matches, Hearing protection goes without saying, or you will be saying "what" since you can't hear. Same with safety glasses. empty chamber indicator, most clubs have some that you can purchase for a dollar, it just must go into the chamber and be visable so that the RO can see that the rifle is unloaded and safe. A mat, for my forst 2 years i got a piece of carpet scrap form a dealer and used that. A glove, use a heavy winter leather glove that you might have laying around until you try the sport. and as far as a coat, yes it will help but again use a sweatshirt or 2 for now. Then in a year or 2 when you really get intot he sport then go get one.

The most important thing that was told to me when I started was spend your first year or two on money for ammo and learn to shoot. The clinic in Nashua is top notch. They do an outstanding job giving you all the info you need to play in the sport. And at Nashua you do not even need a rifle and ammo, everything is included in the price.

Dave S

^ this...you don't need all that high speed crap to get your dick wet...only if you want to really be competitive. substitute for the cheaper options Vizsadad mentioned and go out and have a good time the first few matches and buy the equipment when you KNOW you're going to like it.

I haven't competed in a match yet, but got out to 600 yards finally this past December with my M1A, M1 Garand and K31 at Talladega...hit the X-ring with my first shot out of the K31 :D all with a cotton USMC issue sling I got with my first M16 and a padded canvas rifle bag to keep my elbows off the ground during prone shooting.

long story short...i've been getting equipment as i plateau with the previous equipment purchase...learn to use EACH individual piece to improve your score until it's not improving anymore and then move on to the next piece. in the meantime you might run into something on sale too! the guys at the CMP matches are insistent that I use a jacket, but i'm just not there yet. until i can creep up on their scores there without it, i'm not going to spend $300 on a jacket that might actually harm my ability to shoot offhand when I go to qualify with the Marine Corps each year (obviously wouldn't be allowed to wear a jacket during qual).

for the meantime i'll train like i would fight...no fancy gear necessary.

^ this...you don't need all that high speed crap to get your dick wet...only if you want to really be competitive. substitute for the cheaper options Vizsadad mentioned and go out and have a good time the first few matches and buy the equipment when you KNOW you're going to like it.

I haven't competed in a match yet, but got out to 600 yards finally this past December with my M1A, M1 Garand and K31 at Talladega...hit the X-ring with my first shot out of the K31 :D all with a cotton USMC issue sling I got with my first M16 and a padded canvas rifle bag to keep my elbows off the ground during prone shooting.

long story short...i've been getting equipment as i plateau with the previous equipment purchase...learn to use EACH individual piece to improve your score until it's not improving anymore and then move on to the next piece. in the meantime you might run into something on sale too! the guys at the CMP matches are insistent that I use a jacket, but i'm just not there yet. until i can creep up on their scores there without it, i'm not going to spend $300 on a jacket that might actually harm my ability to shoot offhand when I go to qualify with the Marine Corps each year (obviously wouldn't be allowed to wear a jacket during qual).

for the meantime i'll train like i would fight...no fancy gear necessary.
the jacket, a decent one is a fancy elbow pad holder and cuts down on your natural pulse of your body. The jacket does not seem to help my off hand much although with it snug around my lower back and hips it does alleviate some of the discomfort in my hips.

While I don’t do High Power I have to echo what others said about attending the clinic at Nashua. It was a great experience and an absolute bargain at $50. Everybody there was so helpful and very free in sharing what they know. Priceless!

This was my experience as well. A club loaner shooting mat, a GI wool glove liner inside an old leather glove, and a thick sweatshirt was what I used in the beginning. You don't need everything at once.
My wife caught me using her heavy oven mitt the first few matches....worked fine

Back
Top Bottom