• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie M1 Garand issue

I finally got a chance to get my new garand from the CMP out to the range today. It came to me very clean and I only gave it a quick cleaning and a light greasing. It seems to have a problem on the 7th round. Four out of six clips resulted in this:

dscf0681_med.jpg

(NOTE that this is a recreation after I got home. I didn't have my camera with me and there was another round in the clip)

dscf0684_med.jpg

This was with the Greek HXP from the CMP.

I did a little searching and found reference to the "7th round stoppage" but that was supposed to be with only some of the early productions. I gave it a more thorough cleaning this evening and will try again tomorrow.

Anybody else have this problem or have any suggestions?

Seems like a cleaning problem to me. Inspect the chamber carefully. Run a brass brush in there..a lot.

I think the dirty chamber is acting up with the heat of the firing and it's getting hot enough to get gummy at around the 7th round.

Since I had also heard of the "7th round stoppage" but did not know what is was, I searched and found the following (which does not solve your problem however):

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62467

The only way I can think of for the situation in your first photo to occur is for the enbloc clip to shift upwards, allowing the bolt to slide in under the round. If this happened with four different clips I would guess a rifle problem rather than a clip problem.

If I were you, I would post this on the CMP Discussion Forum and see if anyone there can answer your question.

Is there lots of play in the op-rod or bolt moving up and down? Did this happen on the same clip or different clips?

Seems like a cleaning problem to me. Inspect the chamber carefully. Run a brass brush in there..a lot.

I think the dirty chamber is acting up with the heat of the firing and it's getting hot enough to get gummy at around the 7th round.
Thanks, I'll take a look and give the chamber another once over.

If I were you, I would post this on the CMP Discussion Forum and see if anyone there can answer your question.

I'll bring the camera to the range tomorrow and see if it happens again after the cleaning. If it does I'll post on the CMP forum.

Is there lots of play in the op-rod or bolt moving up and down?
There doesn't seem to be.

Did this happen on the same clip or different clips?
It was different clips of prepacked Greek.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On early receivers the hole for the barrel was drilled too deep, removing the metal on the top of the guide ribs in the reciever. This caused feeding problems, which would result in a jam in the feeding of the seventh round. The 7th Round modification was the welding of metal back into the area where the deep drilling had removed it from the top of the guide ribs and machining it to the correct shape. In these pictures you can see the discolored area at the top of the ribs where this repair had been done.
DSCN1733600x450.jpg

DSCN1734600x450.jpg

IF it keeps doing it I would send it back.The CMP is usually very good about fixing problems

I would also check some other enbloc clips. There's a thread on the CMP forum concerning folks having last round problems with certain lots of HXP that doesn't appear with other enbloc clips.

If you don't have any other enbloc clips, I will gladly send you a few to try out.

Well, I gave it a more thorough disassembly, cleaning, and greasing last night. I also did a better cleaning of the chamber. I put 6 more clips (48 rounds) through it this afternoon and it ran flawlessly! Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom