• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie here

Hey guys,
Names Nick, 25 y/o and from Peabody, MA. Complete noob to the hobby so please spare my ignorance.

Just getting into this hobby now after going to a couple of gun ranges and very eager to learn. Will be taking the firearm safety course soon and applying (need some help here which to tackle first)
1) I know Peabody is extremely difficult to get a class A LTC but I have no idea how strict they are with Class B... basically I don't want to give them $100 and be denied so I'm not sure which I should apply for first.
2) I have a very nice discount at Ruger and was wondering what the better pistols where to buy. I might have a generous discount at SigSauer as well but haven't asked yet lol I would love to have my own pistol rather than rent at the range.

If anyone could point me to some helpful literature if you don't want to type it out, that would be awesome. I search and read but find a lot of information confusing and doesnt answer my questions directly.

From what i hear Peabody will probably give you a Class A with restrictions. Apply for the Class A "All Lawful Purposes" and see how it goes. Your instructor should cover MA licensing in the safety course during the MA Law section.

Hello there! I'm 24 and also from Peabody, perhaps we know each other.

Anyways I applied for my LTC last year when I was 23. I applied for a Class A and supplied a letter explaining why I wanted an A (this is a requirement in their packet) and also detailing why I wanted no restrictions. A few days after dropping the packet off I received a call from the licensing officer Det. Crane. He was very professional and polite but firmly stated that I would be receiving a license with restrictions because "that just how we do things here.."

Seven weeks and 1 day after my appointment for my fingerprints they dropped my Class A license with target&hunting restrictions off at my house. It had no postage on the envelope so it didn't come through the mail.

Now I know in the past they had B-rammed new licensees but that seems to be the practice of the previous licensing officer who is no longer doing it. I have also heard that they will remove restrictions after a few years or upon renewals but I have not inquired about that yet.

Nicky - welcome

First, take an LTC class
Second, find out what your town requires for licensure - Application, $, References, etc. It varies town-to-town.
Third, Apply, an while you're waiting, join GOAL, NRA and NES. All are valuable.
Fourth, investigate local clubs, as when you get your license, you'll want to shoot. Also, you may be able to "test drive" a few different items. DO NOT BUY without shooting the gun, first. Ergonomics (feel) is more important than brand name or model.

There you go.

Take a class that has live shooting as part of the course. There are some, just classroom, courses out there and although they fulfill the legal requirements they leave something to be desired, namely live fire. Good luck and nice to have another gun owner here.

I am just a little further than you in this game. First handgun purchased a few weeks ago. I've been to a range once since then. The basic training live fire portion of the class I took to get the LTC-A (ALP!) was a joke - we received pre-loaded handguns with very little direction other than point it down range, shoot, put the gun down. And I know only one other person who shoots for insight, so I rely heavily on reading and the indispensable knowledge found on sites like NES to get me prepared.

I'll offer one recommendation if you plan on carrying concealed - get your hands on a copy of Massad Ayoob's "The Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection". It's somewhat dated but the principles covered are extremely relevant....

I'll echo what some of the others here have said.
While your waiting. do some rental shooting or find someone who will take you shooting.
Try as many different guns as you can before buying your first one.
It's a matter of personal taste as to what feels good to shoot.
Fanboys will try to steer you to what they think is the best gun, but it has to feel right to you.

Hey Nick, welcome to the forum. Read below. You are good to go. Good luck

Nicky - welcome

First, take an LTC class
Second, find out what your town requires for licensure - Application, $, References, etc. It varies town-to-town.
Third, Apply, an while you're waiting, join GOAL, NRA and NES. All are valuable.
Fourth, investigate local clubs, as when you get your license, you'll want to shoot. Also, you may be able to "test drive" a few different items. DO NOT BUY without shooting the gun, first. Ergonomics (feel) is more important than brand name or model.

There you go.

Last edited:
Welcome to the boards! Lots of great and knowledgeable people here.

I also echo what others are saying. Shoot lots of guns before you buy. Join a club. Shoot as much as you can after all of the above!

I wish you an unrestricted LTC class A!

StevensMarksman

Welcome! And if you are worried about being denied, take a few courses on concealed carry, legalities, etc. Bring the certs to your interview.

Knowledge is power and this applies tenfold in a strict town.

Thank everyone for the warm welcome and lots of good advice!

Went to Salisbury range this weekend and shot the ruger sr9c, loved it. My lady shot a 22 and surprisingly, she loved it as well so there may be another gun owner in the near future lol.

There's a class in Middleton that I plan on taking but wont be available for another month which blows, I'm trying to find something sooner though if anyone has any insight near Peabody?

Nicky - welcome

First, take an LTC class

There you go.

Welcome. And this is great advice. Rent before you buy. Most places to not take firearms back and diminish drastically in value after fired.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom