• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newbie Bow Hunting - Recommendation on used or inexpensive new bow?

Hi All,

I'm looking to get into bow hunting this year. I know, I need to seriously put some time in at the range first (after I get a bow). I'm 100% down with ethically only shooting to the distance of my ability (which I know won't be far at first).

However, my question is, I'm looking to get into this rather inexpensively, does anyone recommend anywhere to pick up a good beginners hunting bow inexpensively (used or new)?

Thanks for tolerating the newbie question, suggestions welcome.

JC

Whats the most you want to spend on a complete bow? Used you could try craigslist.

Last edited:
Find a local shop. They may be able to point you towards something used if you give them your budget. You'll want advice, pointers, instruction on how to shoot a bow from some people before you'll be able to hit anything at any distance you could actually hunt at. If you just bought one off craigslist, it's still gotta be setup specifically to your size.

IMO, best way to get good is join a league, talk to people and let them know you're a beginner. If you're good at taking advice/following instructions, you'll get good.

Find a local shop. They may be able to point you towards something used if you give them your budget. You'll want advice, pointers, instruction on how to shoot a bow from some people before you'll be able to hit anything at any distance you could actually hunt at. If you just bought one off craigslist, it's still gotta be setup specifically to your size.

IMO, best way to get good is join a league, talk to people and let them know you're a beginner. If you're good at taking advice/following instructions, you'll get good.

This.

Bows must be fitted to your draw length then set up for you. Also, no bow company warranties there bow beyond the original purchaser so you will not have a warranty on what you purchase. If you purchase it from an archery shop they would be more willing to stand behind it.

Bob

Thanks guys,

I belong to Old Colony in Pembroke, I think they shoot Friday nights so I'll probably head over there. Also I think Reedy's in Middleboro, I've heard, is a good place to go, so maybe I'll swing over there as well. I'm only looking to spend around $300, I don't really care if it is used as long as it is in good functioning condition as I'm a beginner and don't want to drop a lot of $$ on my first bow when, if I get into it, will probably eventually upgrade anyway.

Any other suggestions welcome and thanks again for your input.

JC

if you go looking on craigslist stay away from any bow that has steel cables, main problem is tryin to find a shop that will work on them.

Bear puts out a decent budget bow, try cabela's or basspro. You can find some nice bows in the bargain cave. If not go to a decent shop and find a used bow and have them set you up with everything you need. 300$ isnt a whole lot, it will get a decent bare bow but remember that you will need a rest, sight, quiver, Stablizer arrows etc.

Used to shoot the qiktune pronged rest and it worked well, now i shoot a drop away with full containment.

The problem with the archery talk forum is that if you don't already know a ton about archery it's a bit overwhelming. I bought my first bow on craigslist. It was cheap, and seemed like a good bow. I practiced with it just about every day for a year. Inside of 20 yards my arrows would be touching. At 30 yards I would lose half of my arrows. The problem was I have a really short draw length, and my bow couldn't be adjusted down any more. It made it impossible to have a consistent anchor point. I got my second bow on craigslist last year at the tail end if deer season. This time I knew a lot more, and I did a bunch of research on this particular bow (got a smoking deal too). Before I shot it, I brought it to a shop to have it adjusted for me, checked out, and to have some accessories installed. Now I'm shooting tight groups at 40 yards. You're better off going someplace and talking to somebody that knows what they're doing. A $300 budget is going to be tough for a complete set up. Even if you cheap out on arrows and a release (which you shouldn't), you've only got $200 to spend on a complete bow.

You need to go somewhere that has a good selection of bows (Bass Pro, Cabela's, local pro shops) and handle/shoot as many as you can. Dedicate an entire day, maybe even two to just handling them. You' will soon realize what you like and don't like. They will all feel,hold and shoot different. There are ALOT of sub $500.00 complete bow packages out there. IMO you do not need to spend a grand on a hunting bow.........

Bass pro in foxboro treated me very well. Even though I did not buy my bowtech there. The guy helping me even had the same bow.

My first setup was from kittery trading post. They set it up for me and I did some test shooting. There price was spot on. Now I go to reedy's in middleboro. They are a great bow shop but plan on spending hours there. They are very busy this time of year. They will get you shooting and set up for proper draw length. The have many different bows at all sorts of price ranges. They will be so busy you will have to fight for a spot in line to get started though. If you go pack a lunch. Jim

If you are on the south shore fall river is not to far trader Jans is a wonderfull shop I have never been to reedys I am sure they are a quality shop as well. Trader jans just built some new lanes and did some improvements to the shop! Jill has helped me out there alot! I have always had great service from her couldent recomend them enough.. As I said have never been to reedys but have always heard good things! But go to one or the other I know trader jans have a good selection of used bows I imagine reedys does as well!

Thanks guys appreciated.

So it looks like realistically, I'm dropping ~$500+ if I go new at a shop, on probably one of the less expensive setups. This one on craigslist however seems to have alot of bells and whistles and from what I've read seems pretty adjustable for draw length etc.. for a newbie:

Description from owner:
"PSE Mossy oak Thunderbolt all camouflage with a PSE fiber optics sight it has an oak pistol grip with leather hand strap and camo stabilizer and a camo quiver that attaches to the bow it is set at about 60lbs draw and draw length is 28in comes with case that carries two bows and i have about 5 to 8 bolts for it also a new pack of whispers. Also have two different triggers and new peep."

Still will go to Reedys to get my mind around what are all the options, but this seems like a quick relatively cheap way to get into it. Maybe I'll regret in the long run, but I would imagine I could turn around and sell it for similar price.....

The PSE looks decent, single cam is better for a beginner and with a brace height of almost 8in its going to be forgiving. but with 25-30in draw length i hope you don't have long arms.

That bow looks dated, will probably need new strings and cables.
Save up some more money, for a few more hundred you can get a far superior than that one.

Thanks guys appreciated.

So it looks like realistically, I'm dropping ~$500+ if I go new at a shop, on probably one of the less expensive setups. This one on craigslist however seems to have alot of bells and whistles and from what I've read seems pretty adjustable for draw length etc.. for a newbie:

Description from owner:
"PSE Mossy oak Thunderbolt all camouflage with a PSE fiber optics sight it has an oak pistol grip with leather hand strap and camo stabilizer and a camo quiver that attaches to the bow it is set at about 60lbs draw and draw length is 28in comes with case that carries two bows and i have about 5 to 8 bolts for it also a new pack of whispers. Also have two different triggers and new peep."

Still will go to Reedys to get my mind around what are all the options, but this seems like a quick relatively cheap way to get into it. Maybe I'll regret in the long run, but I would imagine I could turn around and sell it for similar price.....

I have been out of verts for a few years now but two things immediately come to mind:

1. What is your draw length?????

2. How do you adjust draw length on that bow?

Before you do anything you need to know that your draw length is. If you haven't been measured yet go to a shop and get measured.

Different bows adjust their draw length in different ways. Some have cam mods that have to be purchased to change the draw length.

Bob

OK I'll follow your advise guys, thank you. I measured my draw length and its about 29.5". Standing perpendicular to the wall arm out straight measured from the wall to the corner of my mouth, minus 1/2" per instructions I found from a bow shop. You are right it is probably worth saving up a few more bucks and just getting something new, under warranty and that is made for where I'm at, beginner ;-).

I'll let you know what I find at Reedy's. thanks again.

JC

OK I'll follow your advise guys, thank you. I measured my draw length and its about 29.5". Standing perpendicular to the wall arm out straight measured from the wall to the corner of my mouth, minus 1/2" per instructions I found from a bow shop. You are right it is probably worth saving up a few more bucks and just getting something new, under warranty and that is made for where I'm at, beginner ;-).

I'll let you know what I find at Reedy's. thanks again.

JC

Draw length can go +/- of that number. You don't have to buy it there but at least get measured by a pro and pick his brain some.

Bob

You need to go somewhere that has a good selection of bows (Bass Pro, Cabela's, local pro shops) and handle/shoot as many as you can. Dedicate an entire day, maybe even two to just handling them. You' will soon realize what you like and don't like. They will all feel,hold and shoot different. There are ALOT of sub $500.00 complete bow packages out there. IMO you do not need to spend a grand on a hunting bow.........

No you don't, but to get completely outfitted (bow, accessories, arrows, and a release) for under $300 isn't going to be easy. I think under $500 is a more realistic figure.

Now that I think of It I still have my old bow Its a good bow, a darton raider. You are more then welcome to borrow it see if it is something that would work for you. Or get you through the season til you save up for a new one. Im from taunton area. It is 60- 70 draw adjustable 28 to 31 draw length.Its all there sight, rest, stabilizer.

Duramax_1, man thanks so much, amazing, I sent you an email, your PM was full. Thanks so much, what a great opportunity, I'll pay it forward.

Ive been bowhunting on a tight budget for the last 5 years ive always found that for a reliable bow with all the fixings Bear has always had a few good choices. So for a $100 more splurge and go new get the bow set up for you. When i started thats the route i took look at huntersfriend.com its a helpfull sight and they have a wealth of usefull info

Thanks so much once again, hoping to take it to Reedy's this week and pick up some arrows and get setup, I'm very psyched, great meeting you and I'll keep you guys up to date how it goes.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom