newbee KC1JVD

got my call sign the other day and now I am ready to make a call. anyone care to turn on a radio and walk me through . I have never made a call or even heard radio traffic until a week ago. got the license because of drone flying, now am interested a bit.

I got my tech and general and have only been on once to say hi to a net. Are there any clubs near you? The Nashua club has an on air meet up every Sunday night.

I’m an Extra Class and former VE but have been out of it so long, you’re probably more up on what’s happening than me. I second the idea of hooking up with a local club. When I was getting into it, the tests were held at an old VFW building and after I got my tech, the old hands there were very helpful in showing me what was out there. That curiosity kept me going through the licenses and operating privileges.

Congratulations now you need to put up a Bio on www.QRZ.com and start to study for your general. Unfortunately we are too far from each other to be able to hit a common repeater, however if you need any help or have any questions please contact me here.
John N1HM.

Hi John I am looking for help, I would like a little crash course on how to go one and make my first call. I see all the repeaters can I start there and just say hello? Just some quick pointers to get me off in that direction

Where are you located? Have you any DMR radios?
You can learn about DMR at : NEDECN.org
It's the latest thing in HAM radio.

Find a local club!

Where are you located? Have you any DMR radios?
You can learn about DMR at : NEDECN.org
It's the latest thing in HAM radio.

Find a local club!
located in Wareham Ma. I don’t know. I went to ham radio outlet and they started me with a handheld yaesu ft-60. I listened for a week inside and went back and asked about an outside antenna to help so they helped me get one and that helped a bunch in picking up signals.

Got mine (KC1CQM) 4 years ago and still haven't used it. Forgot most of the stuff. I even have the Boafang tweaked it to get more freqs. When I first when for it I was told the Technician is what I should get, but I really should have went for the General.

Takes a while to sort out what you like to do. I can talk to local HAMs on 146.520 (2m) as I near home then do WSJT-X FT8 on 6m when home, with some WSPR to New Zealand overnight. A 160 QSO at greyline in the AM if I’m up too early. Then a 40m net in the morning to hear old(er) guys tell me the weather a few miles away. Pick up the HT and try for the Intl Space Station fly over. And then drive to BOS with APRS on Voice Alert (never had a single QSO). Working on my CW too - did CWOPs CWA1 and still can’t do much but I practice every day (and only miss 2-3 days a week). A lifetime hobby started when life is in the back third (if I’m lucky) but bets TV and surfing the ‘net. Oops - I’m on the ‘net.

I wanted to use the handheld inside, so I went to new Hampshire and visited the ham radio store. I talked with them for a while and they helped me pick out an antenna, some wire, and a attachment for the handheld. I mounted it up on my 2nd floor deck on a 8' post. I have been trying for two nights so far but no contacts yet.

I wanted to use the handheld inside, so I went to new Hampshire and visited the ham radio store. I talked with them for a while and they helped me pick out an antenna, some wire, and a attachment for the handheld. I mounted it up on my 2nd floor deck on a 8' post. I have been trying for two nights so far but no contacts yet.
I tried a few days when I got mine, wasn't to make contact or hear a thing. The only time I heard chatter was when I was working at KBED and that was at 0130 in the morning.

Not sure you are closer to the Plymouth, it has a repeater 146.685 / Input: 146.085 / CTCSS PL: 82.5

Massachusetts Amateur Radio Repeaters

Last edited:
I had a Yaesu FT-817ND in my car with a system that automatically listed on an Android tablet 2m/70cm repeaters within a specified distance from me. And tune at a touch of the screen! I would set it to 10mi and drive from Boston to Buffalo and try to raise anyone along the way and got nada. If I heard a conversation ongoing I was hesitant to jump in but when I did I got a polite hello - HAMs are good people. I finally figured out to say “N4SRN calling for a radio check” and got more hits. I would just say I had a new mobile install and was checking to see if it was working (a white lie).

The moral of the story is, if you want to call on 2m/70cm repeaters, or on 146.520, join a club nearby, meet the locals and chip in some time and effort at meetings and events. Folks will hear you call and say hello. Repeaters and 560 ain’t no Internet forum where armchair cowboys will talk cow-punching with you.

Made my first contact wareham- Nantucket. Glade to see radio working, after a solid week of transmitting was starting to wonder.

I am enjoying myself with this. I went out and got an upgrade for my house, and an antenna for my truck for the handheld. This was all from having to get a license to fly the drone.

I am enjoying myself with this. I went out and got an upgrade for my house, and an antenna for my truck for the handheld. This was all from having to get a license to fly the drone.
Even though I've been a ham for years I've never stumbled across what advantage it has for RC aircraft. What in the drone world can you not do, or do better with a ham license?

Even though I've been a ham for years I've never stumbled across what advantage it has for RC aircraft. What in the drone world can you not do, or do better with a ham license?
I was flying the fpv drones for six months and it wasn’t until I needed a video transmitter that I even noticed that it says if you live in North America you must have a ham license.

Congrats /AG!

Now, you -MUST- try FT8 on HF bands.

Dg9OtZIW4AU5hqy.jpg

I started out by looking online for lists of local repeaters, and learned how to program them all in to the radio. Then I started discovering nets, locals talking, and other goodies.
Have fun! And start studying for your General.
KC1GKS

Made my first contact wareham- Nantucket. Glade to see radio working, after a solid week of transmitting was starting to wonder.

Frequency: 147.315 +
Call Sign: N1BBT

Frequency: 444.200 +
Call Sign: N1YHS
Notes: 118.8

Frequency: 146.655 -
Call Sign: WA1GPO

Frequency: 444.250 -
Call Sign: WA1GPO
Notes: 141.3

Back
Top Bottom