• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newb looking for recommendation

i agree except my M&P 9c has been awfully irritating in the following respects:

1. required trigger job w apex reset kit
2. magazine disconnect (removed mine but was PITA and requires replacement parts)
3. magazines are damn near impossible to fill to capacity. my woman cannot get the magazine past 7 rounds even with a mag loader. i can get 10 round in there but just barely. if i didn't have my uplula loader it would be almost impossible. in the field i would be screwed without my mag loader.
4. full magazine cannot seat with the slide forward (in battery). the slide must be locked back to insert a full magazine. this makes it impossible to actually load the gun with 11 rounds (10+1). i find this extremely irritating.

having spoken to others i am aware my issues are not unique to me. many others have these too.

by the time you factor in the trigger (approx $100), mag disconnect issue, inability to load 11 rounds and need for a $30 UpLuLa, the M&P becomes far less attractive IMO.

while the M&Ps are unquestionably quality designed guns, i feel the striker fire market is too competitive to consider M&Ps anything special.

and NONE of these issues exist with any glocks or SR9(c) that i own.

+1. Ill also add the resale value of m&p is ass as is an sr9c but it doesnt require allnthe rework

Sr9c or glock 19 way better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend the M&P Range Kit 9mm. four Seasons has it for $515

the kit includes a decent gun case, 3 magazines, a holster, a magazine holder and a uvula magazine loader.

it's a great deal as a package!

I'd suggest trying both at Manchester Firing Line before you buy. Little drive and $75 at the range and you'll know first hand what you like so you don't spend the wrong $800. Between the two I'd say Glock, but only because I like Glocks and prefer striker-fired guns to hammer-fired. Sigs are also reliable, quality guns.

More importantly I'd look at size. A common mistake is to think that just because you don't plan to carry you should get the biggest version of a gun for range and home defense. The Glock 19 is, to me and most people I've spoken to, more comfortable in the hand than the G17. The G17 is just too large in the grip and it makes it a little awkward. The G19 is just right. Glock calls the G19 and G23 "Compact" models. I'd call that a misnomer. The G19 and G23 are standard sized guns, while the G17 is a 'duty sized' gun. Other advantages to the 'compact Glocks' include the ability to CCW if you change your mind.

Bottom line, I'd recommend a G19 G4 or maybe a G23 G4 with 9mm conversion barrel if you want to be able to try .40 and 9mm. All of the above are available to rent and shoot at Manchester Firing Line. I try every pistol there before I buy.

I have a bigger hand and I tried the used G19 at FS and does not fit well. I will definitely go to either the one at Framingham area or Manchester to try shoot both before I decide which one to get. Personally I prefer longer barrel guns, I like target shooting. I may also pick up a Sig 938 or G26 for carry later this year.

I don't own a sig or a glock but I do have the S&W 1911 9mm and yes they're MA compliant. It's one hell of a gun. If you don't mind dropping over 1k on a gun then I'd highly recommend one. As others have said, try to at least hold one and shoot one to see how you like the gun before buying.

1911 9mm in stock: http://grabagun.com/s-w-1911-pro-series-9mm-5-matte-fs.html

Thanks, nice find. Let me speak to a local gun shop about transfer.

Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel. That way you have some options for ammo when it gets scarce

+1.

quite impressive the G23 can accept 3 different barrels (40S&W, 357Sig, 9x19) without changing the recoil spring, correct? can the 9mm barrel be dropped into a G23 with the stock recoil spring? or is the 40/357 recoil spring too strong for 9mm?

the option to fire 357sig is nice which is why i'm interested in acquiring a G23 at some point.

the 22LR conversion kits look nice too, at least if one really wants to shoot 22LR through a glock which i can certainly understand.

one thing about the glocks i am always impressed by their ease of use. both my father and my sister (inexperienced shooters) can pick up a glock and hit their targets just fine. that really says a great deal about how simple and intuitive these guns are.

I have an offer for a HK USP Expert .45 and can order a SW 1911 9mm for about the same price, which one you recommend? I'm leaning toward the HK since I have plenty of .45 ammo already and the 9mm is kind of hard to get lately...decision, decision...

I dont understand a 9mm 1911. Its a zebra of a gun.

again comparing a 1911 to a polymer DA/SA gun is straight silly. Apples and oranges. At some point just decide if u want an apple or orange and eventually you will know which u prefer.

I vote for the 226 - i just bought one on Wednesday and shot it for the first time today. I was hitting ~3" pieces of clay from 25 yards (our indoor range was closed today), standing. I usually shoot at 7-8 yards.

I've owned a Beretta 92, Kahr PM9 Sig P239 in 9mm, S&W 908, S&W 3913, and a Glock 26. Out of all of these I like the 226 the best.
But like others have said......TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

Back
Top Bottom