Newb looking for recommendation

I'm pretty new and looking for a 9mm, I think I pretty decided on either Sig P226 or Glock 17 G4. I never shoot with either one before and looking for a recommendation. I don't intend to CCW, mostly target shooting and personal defense. I currently have a Sig 1911 but looking for a 9mm. Is the S&W 1911 9mm available in MA?

for new shooter, would avoid single action gun like 1911. just my opinion i'm sure the 1911 crowd would disagree w me.
both P226 and G17 or 19 would be excellent choices. comes down to whether you want a hammer fired or striker fired gun. i think the G17/19 would be easier for a beginner because it has the same trigger pull each time you fire, whereas the P226 has the decocker and DA/SA trigger transition from shots 1 -> 2.
another great gun is the ruger SR9 or SR9c. we have two of them and they shoot incredibly well and great trigger. also cheap (under $400) and the annoying magazine disconnect is very easily removed so that's a non issue.

I recently got my father a gen4 G17 and he loves it. very easy for him to manipulate and he shoots it very well....which means it's a super easy gun to shoot.

also the G17/19 or a ruger SR9(c) don't need any trigger work. right out of the box they have good triggers with nice audible resets. some of the other striker guns have crappy stock triggers with no noticeable reset (e.g. M&P's).

i'm sure others have different thoughts. these are just my opinions. i'm no professional.

Last edited:
I have G23 40cal and a barrel to make it a 9mm, and my favorite is a Sig P226 9mm. You could go to Bob's in Salisbury, Ma off Rt 1 and he rents to try, so you could fire both I think.

I don't intend to CCW, mostly target shooting and personal defense.

A lot of new shooters say this. Some day, hopefully, you'll wise up. [wink]

But to answer your question, a S&W 1911 chambered in 9mm will be tougher to find in MA than the .45acp flavors, but they are around.

I have G23 40cal and a barrel to make it a 9mm, and my favorite is a Sig P226 9mm. You could go to Bob's in Salisbury, Ma off Rt 1 and he rents to try, so you could fire both I think.

Good advise there to try before you buy

I love my 229 and was the first 9mm I bought - putting a shot onto target with the first DA pull is a bit challenging at first but not insurmountable

I love my 229 and was the first 9mm I bought - putting a shot onto target with the first DA pull is a bit challenging at first but not insurmountable

agree. good suggestion.

at the range i typically see people shooting their P226/229's almost entirely in single action. most people insert mag, drop slide and just start shooting. IMO this is unrealistic because in real situation you will most likely have to fire first shot in DA then transition to SA.

personally i shoot 2 rounds to practice the DA -> SA transition, then i decock it and repeat the process. if i cannot reliably hit targets with this exercise then i have no business with DA/SA hammer fired gun.

as much as i love my P229, it's for the above reason i don't suggest them to family members/friends who are new shooters. many new shooters find striker fired guns more intuitive and they seem more interested in continuing to shoot when they are hitting their targets (i.e. feeling good).

Last edited:
Sorry to be confusing, I'm by no mean a newb shooter. I have been shooting for years and able to handle 1911 fine. What I meant was newb to G17 and P226. I shoot H&K 9mm before and love it but the one I want is the USP Expert is almost impossible to get here in MA.

I would love to try a G17 Gen4 but there are only few dealers sells them and they are looking for an arm and leg for it.

I've shot both the G17 and 226.
And I personally prefer the trigger on the G17, but you can't go wrong with those two choices. Both really reliable, straight shooters.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to be confusing, I'm by no mean a newb shooter. I have been shooting for years and able to handle 1911 fine. What I meant was newb to G17 and P226. I shoot H&K 9mm before and love it but the one I want is the USP Expert is almost impossible to get here in MA.

I would love to try a G17 Gen4 but there are only few dealers sells them and they are looking for an arm and leg for it.

Yeah you'll probably end up paying the same price for a G17 in MA as you would a P226

A lot of new shooters say this. Some day, hopefully, you'll wise up. [wink]

I know what you mean, if I carry I have be careful where I'm going. Plus if I carry I would get a Sig P938.

- - - Updated - - -

I've shot both the G17 and 226.
And I personally prefer the trigger on the G17, but you can't go wrong with those two choices. Both really reliable, straight shooters.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah you'll probably end up paying the same price for a G17 in MA as you would a P226

Most of them ask for more, I know I can get a P226 from FS for less than most dealer wants for a G17. My friend over the border got a G17 for under $600.

If you go glock, get a g34. Or if you want something thats a good balance between size and ability to ccw (I know you said thats not the intention), go with the g19.

a 9mm is one I dont own yet either and i like the Berretta 92fs..also have never shot any glocks at all. some day I will try one

If you go glock, get a g34. Or if you want something thats a good balance between size and ability to ccw (I know you said thats not the intention), go with the g19.

I would love a 34, I like bigger frame guns.

I would recommend going to MFS in Holliston and trying out the Sig and Glock there along with some others. See what you like best and go from there. Good luck

I would recommend going to MFS in Holliston and trying out the Sig and Glock there along with some others. See what you like best and go from there. Good luck

^^This

or manchester firing line in Manchester NH. both MFS and MFL have a large # of rental guns.

I'm pretty new and looking for a 9mm, I think I pretty decided on either Sig P226 or Glock 17 G4. I never shoot with either one before and looking for a recommendation. I don't intend to CCW, mostly target shooting and personal defense. I currently have a Sig 1911 but looking for a 9mm. Is the S&W 1911 9mm available in MA?

I'd suggest trying both at Manchester Firing Line before you buy. Little drive and $75 at the range and you'll know first hand what you like so you don't spend the wrong $800. Between the two I'd say Glock, but only because I like Glocks and prefer striker-fired guns to hammer-fired. Sigs are also reliable, quality guns.

More importantly I'd look at size. A common mistake is to think that just because you don't plan to carry you should get the biggest version of a gun for range and home defense. The Glock 19 is, to me and most people I've spoken to, more comfortable in the hand than the G17. The G17 is just too large in the grip and it makes it a little awkward. The G19 is just right. Glock calls the G19 and G23 "Compact" models. I'd call that a misnomer. The G19 and G23 are standard sized guns, while the G17 is a 'duty sized' gun. Other advantages to the 'compact Glocks' include the ability to CCW if you change your mind.

Bottom line, I'd recommend a G19 G4 or maybe a G23 G4 with 9mm conversion barrel if you want to be able to try .40 and 9mm. All of the above are available to rent and shoot at Manchester Firing Line. I try every pistol there before I buy.

Ivr never shot a glock but i have owned a p226 for some years now its a great gun if you dont the price but since you have an h&k it seems like you wouldnt mind shelling out $800.00 plus for a sig.

Should add that MA compliance shouldn't really be a concern. Glocks aren't MA compliant and you can get one if you look around. Legal to have once you get it. Just harder to find a place to buy one.

9mm autos are no different than toilet paper: there are many excellent options that are reliable and get the job done. It comes down almost entirely to preference.

for example, i really like cottonelle brand without any of the nasty lotion that makes the arse feel swampy. See thats all preference since some of you might opt for swampy arse.

the more 9mm autos one shoots, the better because it becomes clear that the vast majority are just fine except a few oddballs or occasional lemons....but thats true for toilet paper too!

I def. agree with everyone that said a Glock or M&P. I'm a glock guy and that would be my first choice. BUT if you don't want to pay MA premiums on glock a M&P full size with apex kit will be just as good. Best of luck

I def. agree with everyone that said a Glock or M&P. I'm a glock guy and that would be my first choice. BUT if you don't want to pay MA premiums on glock a M&P full size with apex kit will be just as good. Best of luck

i agree except my M&P 9c has been awfully irritating in the following respects:

1. required trigger job w apex reset kit
2. magazine disconnect (removed mine but was PITA and requires replacement parts)
3. magazines are damn near impossible to fill to capacity. my woman cannot get the magazine past 7 rounds even with a mag loader. i can get 10 round in there but just barely. if i didn't have my uplula loader it would be almost impossible. in the field i would be screwed without my mag loader.
4. full magazine cannot seat with the slide forward (in battery). the slide must be locked back to insert a full magazine. this makes it impossible to actually load the gun with 11 rounds (10+1). i find this extremely irritating.

having spoken to others i am aware my issues are not unique to me. many others have these too.

by the time you factor in the trigger (approx $100), mag disconnect issue, inability to load 11 rounds and need for a $30 UpLuLa, the M&P becomes far less attractive IMO.

while the M&Ps are unquestionably quality designed guns, i feel the striker fire market is too competitive to consider M&Ps anything special.

and NONE of these issues exist with any glocks or SR9(c) that i own.

Last edited:
i agree except my M&P 9c has been awfully irritating in the following respects:

1. required trigger job w apex reset kit
2. magazine disconnect (removed mine but was PITA and requires replacement parts)
3. magazines are damn near impossible to fill to capacity. my woman cannot get the magazine past 7 rounds even with a mag loader. i can get 10 round in there but just barely. if i didn't have my uplula loader it would be almost impossible. in the field i would be screwed without my mag loader.
4. full magazine cannot seat with the slide forward (in battery). the slide must be locked back to insert a full magazine. this makes it impossible to actually load the gun with 11 rounds (10+1). i find this extremely irritating.

having spoken to others i am aware my issues are not unique to me. many others have these too.

by the time you factor in the trigger (approx $100), mag disconnect issue, inability to load 11 rounds and need for a $30 UpLuLa, the M&P becomes far less attractive IMO.

while the M&Ps are unquestionably quality designed guns, i feel the striker fire market is too competitive to consider M&Ps anything special.

and NONE of these issues exist with any glocks or SR9(c) that i own.

That's why I'm a glock guy, HAHA

Back
Top Bottom