• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newb 1911 Question - Rail vs. No Rail

Do you what you want to. I have a S&W 1911 Series E with a rail with a laser mounted on it. You can find here on NES Classified (for reference purposes only, not a sales pitch).

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-with-Viridian-X5L-Green-Laser-Tactical-Light

Traditionalists wont tinker with a Colt 1911, but if you see what's going on in the world you will note that the US Maries Just selected a Colt 1911 with a rail on it for their duty issue.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/07/20/colt-awarded-contract-from-u-s-marine-corps/

Don't worry about re-sale, buy a gun to use and have fun with and protect yourself.

In S&W's case they won't even sell you one.

There are some parts that are made in different "sizes" (the barrel link on the 1911 comes to mind), and the fitter assembling the gun has a bin of each size handy so (s)he can select the one that best fits in a particular gun. This could be the reason S&W does not sell spare extractors.

Eli Whitney would be spinning in his grave.

Last edited:
I see the Marines version kept the internal extractor I assume to keep out the sand and dirt in their harsh environment. I'll never come close to that environment so which extractor it has doesn't matter to me as long as I can get a part if I need it.

I have a S&W 1911 with a rail, and a Sig 1911 with a rail, and love them. Get what you want, not what someone else wants. 7956619034_e114ee2250_c.jpg

I've got the Sig with the rail. It's beautifully made, easy to shoot, easy to clean, very accurate. I've never used the rail, but it doesn't hurt to have it there, although your choice of holsters becomes more limited. The Sig also has a different slide profile than a traditional 1911, which affects holster choices. If you're aim is to recreate WWII, get a 'real' 1911. Otherwise the Sig is an excellent choice.

I see the Marines version kept the internal extractor I assume to keep out the sand and dirt in their harsh environment. I'll never come close to that environment so which extractor it has doesn't matter to me as long as I can get a part if I need it.

Actually, I think it is just the opposite. The external extractor is supposed to increase reliability.

[rofl]

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. It's because external extractors on a 1911 pattern gun are generally not considered an improvement. This train of thought is prevalent enough that even high grade $2000-$3000+ 1911s are all or nearly all sporting internal extractors.

-Mike

Why do 1911 conversation always end up referencing extractors? Does anyone other than guys shooting in excess of 30,000 rounds a year know the difference?

1911 e-series…NO RAIL…you don't need it…nor will you EVER use it…or rather, you shouldn't.

as a MARINE…I got used to equipment NOT working as most of our shit is hand me down from the garbage ass army or the likes. don't EVER put something on ANY firearm that can fail on you in your time of need. all of my reticles work well in dark as well as in light, with batteries or without…if you MUST have ANYTHING on your 1911, invest in night sights.

the rail is just going to make you dependent on whatever you attach to it. that's one extra step at minimum that you are going to have to take at a time when seconds count. keep it simple stupid.

-Iron Mike

Do you what you want to. I have a S&W 1911 Series E with a rail with a laser mounted on it. You can find here on NES Classified (for reference purposes only, not a sales pitch).

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-with-Viridian-X5L-Green-Laser-Tactical-Light

Traditionalists wont tinker with a Colt 1911, but if you see what's going on in the world you will note that the US Maries Just selected a Colt 1911 with a rail on it for their duty issue.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/07/20/colt-awarded-contract-from-u-s-marine-corps/

Don't worry about re-sale, buy a gun to use and have fun with and protect yourself.

good references…but you're asking WAYYY too much for that sidearm, sir. the punisher grips would be better deducted from the price…along with the lazier. you're not going to get the money back for your add ons, trust me. take all that shit off and sell the gun that you bought…

Why do 1911 conversation always end up referencing extractors? Does anyone other than guys shooting in excess of 30,000 rounds a year know the difference?

when the external extractor doesn't work, there is nothing you can do about it other than send it back. internal can be adjusted quickly at the range. Doesn't matter how many round you shoot, but whether you want to be able to tune it yourself.

External extractors are the classic solution to the "non existent problem". Also they are difficult to repair/modify as Super Moto mentioned. The purpose of the external extractor is to sell guns. It is the bait that the MFR dangles in front of an uninformed buyer to make him (or her) purchase a product that is most likely inferior to the standard 1911 design.

JMB got it right the first time. Also in the last 100 years a lot of talented people have made some minor contributions to this design making the 1911 extractor one of the best in the business.

External extractors are the classic solution to the "non existent problem". Also they are difficult to repair/modify as Super Moto mentioned. The purpose of the external extractor is to sell guns. It is the bait that the MFR dangles in front of an uninformed buyer to make him (or her) purchase a product that is most likely inferior to the standard 1911 design.

JMB got it right the first time. Also in the last 100 years a lot of talented people have made some minor contributions to this design making the 1911 extractor one of the best in the business.
Plus, the inability to keep a spare in you range bag.

It may be easier to fit an external extractor than get the tension on an internal one adjusted correctly - something that matters when trying to minimize the minutes spent fitting each gun.

Smith and Wesson has a lifetime guarantee, no questions asked. That is worth quite a bit in my opinion.
I once bought a used S&W stainless 1911 , and it had a problem with ejection, and Smith and Wesson fixed it
for me without any hassle. So .. that may say something about their extractor, or it may say something about their service, but if there is a problem they do seem to be willing to make it right if you ask.

Interesting. I've seen Remington 1911's at Four Seasons so I called them about the Enhanced Pearl Edition and I was told they will no longer be carrying Remington. It wasn't Carl and he wouldn't say why. I wonder what happened.

Usually when something like that happens it's about a bad product, a bad company or money one way or the other. Maybe Remington wanted him to take on more inventory than he was willing to take on so he pulled out [hmmm] . Just speculation. I have no idea.

when the external extractor doesn't work, there is nothing you can do about it other than send it back. internal can be adjusted quickly at the range. Doesn't matter how many round you shoot, but whether you want to be able to tune it yourself.

I can't speak to the extractor but the non standard items some MFG's put on or do to their 1911's is more than annoying... I don't give a flying crap about a "sacred" design, but when you make your sight dovetails different sizes than 90% of the industry your just plain dumb

Yes, I'm talking about my 2 S&W 1911 that I have... These were to be setup for uspsa SS, but even the sights on these damn things are cut to a proprietary s&w dimension. Really???

I should have just purchased the STI and been done with it.

I haven't seen a bad Ruger yet. Between my own guns, my friends guns, and other guns I've worked on. Only issue with Rugers is the stock NOVAK front sight likes to seperate itself from the front of the gun. I replace them with NOVAK fiber optic units and haven't had any issues with them yet. People seam really happy with their R1's as well, and they seem to be nice guns although I don't own one.

Rail or no rail the choice is yours. If your use for the gun may include the need for illumination, get a rail. If not than don't worry about it.

I prefer the original type internal extractor, like previously mentioned it's easily tuned, or replaced. And the part can be had from just about anywhere. Not so with the Sig external design. Also, the Sigs won't fit many 1911 holsters.

Back
Top Bottom