• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newb 1911 Question - Rail vs. No Rail

Then again, I love my West German P226 and would trust it with my life without hesitation...the thing would probably reliably feed brass reloaded 20 time, with a bullet made from deer dung.

That was my HK P30LS. I haven't had a lot of guns but that was the one I would bring if I knew I was gonna have to use it. Not one failure of any kind. I gave it up to buy a 1911... [hmmm]

Almost no need for a rail the biggest problem will be selecting a holster there is a smaller selection of holsters that will fit a rail gun.

I was an engineer in my other life. Design flaws made me lose sleep for 20 years and I still analyze things even though I've been out of the biz for years now.

If that's the case, then the 1911 platform will probably drive you batshit insane. [laugh]

-Mike

Mike makes a really good point. If you really want a 45 caliber handgun with a rail and reliable design, why not go with a Sig 220? Mine eats absolutely anything and is accurate as hell. Or one of the Glocks? Crazy reliable and accurate enough.

Mike makes a really good point. If you really want a 45 caliber handgun with a rail and reliable design, why not go with a Sig 220? Mine eats absolutely anything and is accurate as hell. Or one of the Glocks? Crazy reliable and accurate enough.

The P220 is something I've been interested in for a long time. Firing my friends "fake" S&W 1911 is what made me want one. I'm not interested in partaking in the Glock frenzy. Without getting to far off, I had some extra cash which went to guns and ammo and I've almost depleted the stash so that's why I'm being very particular. it may be the last gun I purchase for a long time.

Anybody have any experience with the Rock Island Tactical FS or the Match FS? I also have been considering a 1911, but can't obtain the one that I want (Colt), because it is not Mass compliant?

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody have any experience with the Rock Island Tactical FS or the Match FS? I also have been considering a 1911, but can't obtain the one that I want (Colt), because it is not Mass compliant?

I got the Rock Island compact and it's in Nevada right now, they hopefully are exercising the demons that they put in it when they made it. I can't think of much nice to say about it right now.

The P220 is something I've been interested in for a long time. Firing my friends "fake" S&W 1911 is what made me want one. I'm not interested in partaking in the Glock frenzy. Without getting to far off, I had some extra cash which went to guns and ammo and I've almost depleted the stash so that's why I'm being very particular. it may be the last gun I purchase for a long time.

I love Sigs, have the P220 (with a rail!) and I honestly pass it over for the 1911 every week at the range. Shoot them both and pick the one you most fall in love with. I shoot at AFS, they rent both guns or I can offer to let you shoot mine.

Sure you can. There are probably a couple for sale in the classifieds right now

My opinion on the Remington has changed. The base model is pretty base, which I guess has it's market, but I read the specs on the R1 Enhanced Stainless and on paper it appears to be a very nice gun. Enhanced basically means it has some modern safety and cosmetic features. The things the purists don't care for but I like it. I installed a light pipe front sight on my GP100 and love it. Gonna have to look into it.

View attachment 87143

I also am loving the R1 in Stainless. No rails on my future 1911, no need. It's not going to be a carry or HD handgun. I just feel no collection is complete without one.

I'm REALLY diggin' this one. Too flashy for some but I like shiney guns. It's not stainless but the flats are mirror finished. I imagine extra care would be required or you wind up with a rust bucket for a slide.

REMINGTON 1911 R1 ENHANCED PEARL EDITION

Last edited:
If it's primary use will be in any sort of defensive role and you value a WML (which I definitely do) go with a rail. Otherwise it's not essential and its actually a bit easier to find holsters for traditional 1911s w/o rails. Also rails sometimes add to the overall weight of the gun making it less attractive for CCW.

I don't think the R1 in your most recent picture would require extreme care, just an oily rag after shooting or every so often would probably suffice. That said, personally I prefer 25-35 LP front strap checkering or skate tape, I have a very difficult time controlling recoil without it.

I was at Bass Pro today and there was a guy looking at the overpriced 1911's. He said he wants to start collecting 1911's and his first one HAS to have a rail. Another newb dumbass like me who doesn't know what he's doing [laugh] .

I was at Bass Pro today and there was a guy looking at the overpriced 1911's. He said he wants to start collecting 1911's and his first one HAS to have a rail. Another newb dumbass like me who doesn't know what he's doing [laugh] .

Well..... I think some Marine units just started carrying these.

ColtMarine-e1360959289221.jpg

Yep, and then when you need to reload, ram the flashlight up your nose and grab your spare mag. [thinking]

I can reload while still retaining my flashlight.

Can you point your firearm mounted light at your wife / child / neighbor while not pointing your firearm at them?

I can reload while still retaining my flashlight.

Can you point your firearm mounted light at your wife / child / neighbor while not pointing your firearm at them?

You can't reload as fast with a flashlight in your hand as fast as you can without, and you can't shoot as well as you would with two hands on your firearm.

Weapon mounted lights have a place. My bedside 226 has a light/laser combo. At 03:00 do you want to be looking for your flashlight and your handgun? No way

I live i Mass and bought a used Colt 1991A1 commander. I would take a Colt over a Smith or Sig at any time. in the 1911 configuration anyways. if you like spending money and want something that will hold value and don't care if it's historically correct Kimber is a good one. and they do pop up Mass legal from time to time.

You can't reload as fast with a flashlight in your hand as fast as you can without, and you can't shoot as well as you would with two hands on your firearm.
I'd wager I can shoot better strong hand only than most of the NES population can with two hands and a rest.

Weapon mounted lights have a place.
I agree. When the zombie hoard is coming down my street, I will be using a weapon mounted light.

At 03:00 do you want to be looking for your flashlight and your handgun? No way
I don't need to look for my handgun, its in my holster, on my hip. Yes, its always on my hip. Yes I sleep with it there, hell I shower with it there, I shit with it there, It's even there while I do the nasty

Chances are, the bump in the night is just the neighbor's dog in the trash cans, and not a Al qaeda terrorist serial rapist breaking into my house trying to steal my bacon stash. There is no need to point the muzzle of my firearm at my neighbor while he gets his stupid mutt out of my pizza hut scrap filled trash cans because my flashlight is attached to it.

Want a firearm mounted light? fine, enjoy it. Get a handheld light too, use it. thants all. over

I'd wager I can shoot better strong hand only than most of the NES population can with two hands and a rest.

Yeah.... well I can shoot a quarter at 30 paces, weak hand, over my shoulder, with a mirror. [laugh]

I agree. When the zombie hoard is coming down my street, I will be using a weapon mounted light.

I don't want to wait for the zombie apocalypse. I am gonna use mine if someone breaks into my house. And it's really cool with a laser and everything. Little red dot on the target.

I don't need to look for my handgun, its in my holster, on my hip. Yes, its always on my hip. Yes I sleep with it there, hell I shower with it there, I shit with it there, It's even there while I do the nasty

Wow. So do I !!!! I actually made a rail system that's strapped to my arms. That way I can just flick my wrist! And two Desert Eagles pop out of my sleeves!. I mean, it's the internet right? We can say whatever we want! [smile]

Chances are, the bump in the night is just the neighbor's dog in the trash cans, and not a Al qaeda terrorist serial rapist breaking into my house trying to steal my bacon stash. There is no need to point the muzzle of my firearm at my neighbor while he gets his stupid mutt out of my pizza hut scrap filled trash cans because my flashlight is attached to it.

When I hear a noise outside, my training kicks in, and I do what my Father taught me. I click on the lights.

ETA- I have like 4 mini maglights with two brightness settings and strobe

Last edited:
Damn you guys really do take this historical correctness thing seriously. Nothing wrong with that but bashing a gun because it doesn't conform to the original design makes no sense. We all drive cars every day that don't conform to the original design and nobody complains about it. I think [rolleyes] .

I got what I wanted out of the original question way back when...
Holster selection for a railed 1911 is limited which I didn't think of.
Resale value seems to be a wash. Plenty of people are OK with railed 1911's.
I also found out that external extractors are OK even though they don't conform to the original design but they are proprietary and there aren't a lot of options if you want to replace them. In S&W's case they won't even sell you one.
And I didn't realize there was this subculture of people who completely reject the idea of a 1911 that doesn't conform to the original design. Didn't realize the can of worms I was opening!

All in all a successful query! [laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom