New York State Senate Democrat introduces bill to make distribution of CAD files for firearm parts a Class C felony

79304cce62edc0bf9b7a8c813350448c.jpg

Amazon product ASIN 0262240394View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0262240394/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_XZ3NBDNDE6X4WHFASK33

There will be a time that if you want to enter, or drive threw one off these States you will have to show your papers,
and have your car searched.
Right, and if we think the traffic getting on the George Washington Bridge from NJ is bad now! Can you imagine! Only reason I go to NJ is to visit my MIL. At 94 I can’t imagine I’ll be doing it in 10 years. Nothing against her, but it’s a suck a$$ drive now.

What if I render the CAD file as a book? e.g. I'll assume the characters that make up the computer code are your basic ASCII characters. Replace each one with an English sentence. Example "a" becomes "Ants are eating my house." "b" becomes "Birds shit on me." etc. Print that as a book. Get arrested for it? Easy 1A violation.

What if I render the CAD file as a book? e.g. I'll assume the characters that make up the computer code are your basic ASCII characters. Replace each one with an English sentence. Example "a" becomes "Ants are eating my house." "b" becomes "Birds shit on me." etc. Print that as a book. Get arrested for it? Easy 1A violation.
It gets even easier: simply publish the g-code in a book, like Zimmerman did with PGP in the 90s.

It gets even easier: simply publish the g-code in a book, like Zimmerman did with PGP in the 90s.

Sure, as-is of course works too. But, I do find it slightly more humorous to do some kind of substitution, preferably with sentences that lefties love to say, just to mock them. I could name the book something like "Liberal tears".

Sure, as-is of course works too. But, I do find it slightly more humorous to do some kind of substitution, preferably with sentences that lefties love to say, just to mock them. I could name the book something like "Liberal tears".
Now I'm tracking.

Wouldn’t this be a first amendment violation?
Probably, but politicians frequently file bills to score points with their constituents and donors rather than to actually get anything passed.

That said, you might want to look at a couple of Federal Laws that are already on the books. First, 18 USC 842 section (p):
It shall be unlawful for any person—
(A)to teach or demonstrate the making or use of an explosive, a destructive device, or a weapon of mass destruction, or to distribute by any means information pertaining to, in whole or in part, the manufacture or use of an explosive, destructive device, or weapon of mass destruction, with the intent that the teaching, demonstration, or information be used for, or in furtherance of, an activity that constitutes a Federal crime of violence; or
(B)to teach or demonstrate to any person the making or use of an explosive, a destructive device, or a weapon of mass destruction, or to distribute to any person, by any means, information pertaining to, in whole or in part, the manufacture or use of an explosive, destructive device, or weapon of mass destruction, knowing that such person intends to use the teaching, demonstration, or information for, or in furtherance of, an activity that constitutes a Federal crime of violence.
Next, 18 USC 231:
Whoever teaches or demonstrates to any other person the use, application, or making of any firearm or explosive or incendiary device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, knowing or having reason to know or intending that the same will be unlawfully employed for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder which may in any way or degree obstruct, delay, or adversely affect commerce or the movement of any article or commodity in commerce or the conduct or performance of any federally protected function; or
The courts have not ruled on the constitutionality of either of these laws. The bill does away with mens rea requirement, which, IMO would make a 1st Amendment challenge easier.

STEP files are actually just plain text/ASCII. That is a very common and quasi-universal CAD format.

Back
Top Bottom