New World Record Set for Farthest Long-Range Rifle Shot: 4.4 Miles

I’m not scared, after the 4 or 5 miss I’ll probably understand what’s happening and take cover.

I feel like the people commenting in this thread probably leave the range feeling unbelievably proud and like they are elite marksman after hitting a 24" target at 100 yards on only their third shot!

Do you clowns realize how far 4.4 miles is?
If you have been paying attention, there are plenty of us who are regularly shooting 600 - 1000 yards in competition. While being decent long distant paper punchers or steel plate ringers doesn't make us elite marksmen, I think we are qualified to question a 4.4 mile record that is not repeatable. LOL try missing the target even a couple times during your first shots at Camp Perry. They will toss you off the range.

Some perspective from my side:

Any of us "clowns" shooting high power or similar are hitting 600 yard shots in a 12" circle to score a 10 and in varying conditions- approx 1.9 MOA. Most of the decent shooters are hitting a high number of X's, which is a 6" circle or .96 MOA. Any of these factors can throw your shot way off a 10: momentary lapse in concentration, tiny difference in how you pull the trigger, small shift in how you do your follow up, small shift in your eye position behind the scope, tiny amount of cant in rifle position, mis-read of the wind, etc., etc. A comprehensive list would be longer than that, but you get the picture. And honestly, IMHO the difference between shooting at 600 vs. 1000 yards is vastly more challenging than the difference between 25 yards to 600 yards. With a 1/2 to 3/4 MOA accurate rifle or better, 600 yards is a bit of a no-brainer and allows a little fudge factor while 1000 yards requires getting everything perfect.

I am much more impressed with accounts of a sniper/spotter team getting long distance kills at 1.5 mile distances vs. the 69 shots to finally get on on target at 4.4 miles. Craig Harrison recorded a 1.5+ mile kill in Afghanistan on his second shot, though he made an adjustment and fired the second shot before the first had even hit. That's almost all skill and maybe just a little luck. Is it safe to say that 1 in 69 at 4.4 miles is at most 50/50 skill vs. luck, even though the skill level is very high? That's why I find the equipment and the process of shooting to 4.4 miles to be much more interesting than finally hitting a target after 69 shots. Call me a clown, but I think the standards for a "record" should be WAY higher than allowing 69 shots to make a hit, then calling it a day.

Fun to debate this crap. Doubt I'd ever have an interest in shooting 4 miles but I'd like to try 1 mile with the 50 BMG someday. A Hornady 750 AMAX bullet is still doing over mach 1.4 at a mile, so no weird calculations for the trans sonic stuff.

So they posted a response video.... They basically said it was a bs trick shot and almost entirely luck.

His facial expressions are annoying.

But I appreciate he said it was pure luck. I respect that.

There should be a standard for a record, but that is my personal opinion.

His facial expressions are annoying.

But I appreciate he said it was pure luck. I respect that.

There should be a standard for a record, but that is my personal opinion.
So they see this shot as a proof of principle. It seems like a lot of people in the audience want reduction to practice.

All of this back and forth reminds me of numbers juggling: when a person is working on a new skill, they distinguish between "Flashing" or "Qualifying" the pattern. To "flash" n objects, you need to toss and catch them once each, resulting in n consecutive catches. To "qualify," you need 2n consecutive tosses and catches. The former is proof of concept; the latter, repeatability. When people in the community talk about these records, they use this language to communicate what they've actually done.

It almost seems like it would reduce a bunch of agita if the shooting community were to develop or adopt similar language around these sorts of records. Then we can get back to arguing over important things - like Glock v 1911.

So they see this shot as a proof of principle. It seems like a lot of people in the audience want reduction to practice.

All of this back and forth reminds me of numbers juggling: when a person is working on a new skill, they distinguish between "Flashing" or "Qualifying" the pattern. To "flash" n objects, you need to toss and catch them once each, resulting in n consecutive catches. To "qualify," you need 2n consecutive tosses and catches. The former is proof of concept; the latter, repeatability. When people in the community talk about these records, they use this language to communicate what they've actually done.

It almost seems like it would reduce a bunch of agita if the shooting community were to develop or adopt similar language around these sorts of records. Then we can get back to arguing over important things - like Glock v 1911.
it shouldn't be considered to be a record. Any fool can lob a round out into space and eventually its gonna hit something.

I think hitting something at that range is cool but I think two guys running out with an off-the-shelf rifle and spotting equipment and maybe a ballistic computer dingus bedding down and hitting a man torso sized steel target at a thousand yards in a short amount of time is actually a lot more useful and impressive..... actually that breeds the idea for a fun sort of competition basically you have teams of two guys and you have like a truck or some s*** where the rifle and all of the gear is stored and basically the buzzer goes off and you have to grab all the s*** bring it to the line set up and shoot and you get like 20 rounds and basically the composite score is hits versus time or something..... with a huge bonus if you connect twice in the first 3 shots.... of course some of this might be wholly unrealistic but it would actually be fun to watch. Set a budget limit for the guns and only allow commonly available bullet types reloads or commercial. If you had enough people with guns you might even be able to class out guns by caliber or something.

I think hitting something at that range is cool but I think two guys running out with an off-the-shelf rifle and spotting equipment and maybe a ballistic computer dingus bedding down and hitting a man torso sized steel target at a thousand yards in a short amount of time is actually a lot more useful and impressive..... actually that breeds the idea for a fun sort of competition basically you have teams of two guys and you have like a truck or some s*** where the rifle and all of the gear is stored and basically the buzzer goes off and you have to grab all the s*** bring it to the line set up and shoot and you get like 20 rounds and basically the composite score is hits versus time or something..... with a huge bonus if you connect twice in the first 3 shots.... of course some of this might be wholly unrealistic but it would actually be fun to watch. Set a budget limit for the guns and only allow commonly available bullet types reloads or commercial. If you had enough people with guns you might even be able to class out guns by caliber or something.
That sounds like a fun training exercise actually. More practical than already being set up at a bench with known distances.

That sounds like a fun training exercise actually. More practical than already being set up at a bench with known distances.
I mean you would pretty much know the distance but the firing line would just have a spot of grass or some s*** on it where guys would set up their mats and whatever and just shoot from there.... although if you had the facility for it you could actually have several different spots of varying ranges and the team would get randomly summoned to a particular position and basically once the vehicle reaches the setup point the timer starts....... if I won the Powerball I would set up a facility like that just to watch this happen..... 🤣

That would actually be fun.

Are the rifles sighted and the scopes on the rifles or do they grab the scope, put it on the rifle, sight it st 100 yards then go for 1K yards?

That would actually be fun.

Are the rifles sighted and the scopes on the rifles or do they grab the scope, put it on the rifle, sight it st 100 yards then go for 1K yards?
I would assume for the sake of not taking a weekend to run everyone through the course that the sights are already zeroed at 100

Back
Top Bottom