• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New World Record Set for Farthest Long-Range Rifle Shot: 4.4 Miles

When I was shooting Highpower, I followed your posts closely, so I know you can shoot, and that's one of the reasons I quoted your post and not anybody else's.

As you say, the equipment is important, and I'm sure a lot went into making that rifle, developing that special sighting system, and that ammo. Efforts such as these create knowledge and new equipment and/or techniques, which benefits future shooters, so it's a worthwhile endeavor.

There may not be anywhere in this area that somebody could legally attempt to shoot something 4.4 miles away, but I wanted people to think about how difficult that really is rather than just poo-poo what these guys accomplished.

View attachment 665068
its not that fancy of a setup, razor gen 3, charlie + delta tarac, structured barrel, tax-50 action. Thats it really... just spin up those parts in the same way you would any other precision bolt action and send it.

The furthest shot I've ever taken was at the moon...

When I was shooting Highpower, I followed your posts closely, so I know you can shoot, and that's one of the reasons I quoted your post and not anybody else's.

There may not be anywhere in this area that somebody could legally attempt to shoot something 4.4 miles away, but I wanted people to think about how difficult that really is rather than just poo-poo what these guys accomplished.

View attachment 665068
"When I was shooting Highpower, I followed your posts closely, so I know you can shoot,"

You wouldn't say that if you saw my performance at the Regional this past weekend: I really stunk it up out there.

But, my ability to shoot (or lack of!) really has no bearing. I'm not saying these guys got lucky, because they obviously put the money into equipment, ran the ballistics math, etc. But, I just don't see any practicality to it. They could attempt it again, and it might take 69 shots to get a hit. Maybe less, but maybe more. If they could do it in 10 or less THAT would be impressive.

"When I was shooting Highpower, I followed your posts closely, so I know you can shoot,"

You wouldn't say that if you saw my performance at the Regional this past weekend: I really stunk it up out there.

But, my ability to shoot (or lack of!) really has no bearing. I'm not saying these guys got lucky, because they obviously put the money into equipment, ran the ballistics math, etc. But, I just don't see any practicality to it. They could attempt it again, and it might take 69 shots to get a hit. Maybe less, but maybe more. If they could do it in 10 or less THAT would be impressive.
50% engagement of the target from cold bore in 10 rounds would be where I would be impressed. A belt fed M2 could walk in an impact in 69rds.

Maybe it's not practical, but since this is a shooting forum, I thought the story would be of interest to some here.

Kind of like the guy who set the "Guiness World Record for fastest mile driven in reverse" that I posted in the all-things-motors-cars-trucks-motorcycles-boats thread. Practical? No, probably not, but it's still fun stuff.

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

If I shot one straight down from space, I could negate a lot of the wind. I'd be more concerned about rotation of the earth, but a good bomb-sight on my rifle and I'd be fine. I bet I could shoot 10 miles with the right equipment and little skill. LOL
no, you'd still be fighting wind and vary degrees of atmospheric pressure and ambient temperature. Space is 250 miles up, rememeber..

NES O.G. Stud Club checking in.

1663860973391.png

With a pair of USMC 1941 sniper clones , my teammate and I won silver this weekend in a vintage sniper competition in rain and fog. We only dropped a couple points outside a 12" 10-ring at 600 yards. First cold shots each were 10's. We hit quite a few X's, which is a 6" circle.

On average we were grouping at about 1.3 MOA, which at 4.4 miles would be about an 8.8 foot circle. Hit an 8" circle within 69 shots? Meh...

[devil]

Maybe it's not practical, but since this is a shooting forum, I thought the story would be of interest to some here.

Kind of like the guy who set the "Guiness World Record for fastest mile driven in reverse" that I posted in the all-things-motors-cars-trucks-motorcycles-boats thread. Practical? No, probably not, but it's still fun stuff.

View attachment 665146
Joking aside, this is a very cool feat to accomplish. The technical aspects are very interesting. But hey, this is NES and we prefer posts that are equivalent to the "OW, MY BALLS!" show in the movie Idiocracy.

First take: Hit on 70'th shot....meh.

**Opens Google Maps and visualizes 4.4 miles as the same distance as shooting from the Green Monster and trying to hit a target at Terminal C at Logan Airport**

Second take: Holy sh*t that's impressive regardless of how many shots it took.

A belt fed M2 could walk in an impact in 69rds.
With a 24 second hang time for the shot, there might be a bit of an issue getting decent feedback from the impact points. For that matter, since an M-2 will go through 69 shots in under 10 seconds, you'll be dry before the first shot is halfway there. ;)

But it's that feedback time that highlights the essentially random luck element of this task. The wind over a 4 mile track is going to vary some amount along the path over a 24 second span unless it's a bizarrely calm day or you're in a vacuum on the moon. The shot is effectively overlaying the variability of the rifle with the variability of the round with the variability of the wind while looking for a lucky alignment of the conditions that gets the bullet in the circle. Impressive as hell regardless, but there's still a major luck component included.

Last edited:
True, but still quite a feat, and the equipment used is interesting.

View attachment 664754
We say this every time a new record is set.

I want tos ee someone call the shot and hit it 4 or 5 times in a row.

I am more impressed by the guys hitting a target sub MOA at 1K yards with iron sights consistently than these 4mile+ shots.

Here's what I don't get about these attempts: why do they insist on centering the scope over the bore, resulting in a 6 inch cheek riser?

Dude. Just offset the scope to the side and sight it parallel to the bore.

I feel like the people commenting in this thread probably leave the range feeling unbelievably proud and like they are elite marksman after hitting a 24" target at 100 yards on only their third shot!

Do you clowns realize how far 4.4 miles is?
Yes. I know it's far enough to realize it's not a repeatable feat.

I feel like the people commenting in this thread probably leave the range feeling unbelievably proud and like they are elite marksman after hitting a 24" target at 100 yards on only their third shot!

Do you clowns realize how far 4.4 miles is?
Yes, it is far, so what?

Back
Top Bottom