1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

New Winter Road Pretreatment will destory your automobile!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TC McQuade, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

I really don't know what NH oil is.

But if I wanted to put oil on my truck so it didn't rust, after every oil change I'd dump the used oil into a garden sprayer and spray the whole undercarraige. For...Free.

2. 45collector

45collector NES Member

The best thing you can do is simply hose down your undercarriage/wheel wells/ bottoms of doors and rockers etc... as often as you can stand to. I use my SUV for off-roading on the beach in the summertime and have gotten into the habit of hosing down the belly extensively after every trip out. In the winter when the roads get basically white with all the salts/ chemicals, I will hose it down on days that it's above freezing. I have to keep my vehicles on the road as long as possible these days. Can't afford to keep buying new ones every 5 years! ;)

The video that chevy 2 65 posted is spot-on. Spraying undercoating type stuff over steel that has already been exposed to pretty much any type of road conditions is asking for trouble. When I restored my Mustang years back, I hand painted the entire undercarriage with Rust-Shield, (while everything was removed from the shell of the car) and let that set for about two weeks. I then scuffed that down and sprayed Evercoat undercoating over it, and let that set over a weekend before starting to put parts back on the car. In doing that, I mainly only wanted protection from stones/ chips/ road debris etc... as that Mustang never sees winter roads. If I were "making" a brand new daily year-round driver to use in the northeast, I would have just left the Rust-Shield on and not done the undercoating.

ETA: well apparently that fluid film stuff is the BEST thing you can do, but if you're on a budget and all you can swing is the water bill...

3. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

No truer words spoken

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Wow. Amazing that the car wash washed off the fluid film pretty easily.

Forget New Hampshire Oil, stay away from the Kentucky Jelly. It's not even sweet!

5. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I have friends who bought all the spray guns, tubes and hoses for the bulk application of Fluid Film. If I had a lift I might go that route but running up to NH is a lot easier than crawling around under the truck and SUV. I'll continue to "pay the guy" and get a burger at Buckley's when it's done.

6. Lsgun1

Lsgun1

Totally different product. Hence how it says OIL not RUBBER. It doesn't dry and harden.

7. Sweeney

Sweeney NES Member

Well, any product that will cut grease will clean it off. If you apply Fluid Film, don't get the undercarriage washed.

timbo likes this.
  8. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Same thing for the oil based undercoating that dropride applies. He'll tell you, straight up, to not get that as part of any car wash you go through.

I had dropride treat my 2015 Silverado in late 2017. I held off on doing it a year later (it's a 'once a year' deal). Glad I did since it would have been more of a waste to me since I traded that one in for the 2019 model. I'm going to hold off on getting it done on the new one for a bit. There's a treatment done at the factory (not sure what year it started) that gives a 6 year, 100k mile corrosion protection to the frame and body. It's warrantied for that long against any rust. I'll think about getting his stuff applied again as I get closer to that time frame.

9. Nhusa

Nhusa

Geeze How about oil from New Hampshire?

Or the company in NH that claims to make the worlds best undercoating, guaranteed for your life or up until they go out of business

10. Lsgun1

Lsgun1

11. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

Any results of the NH oil stuff after a few years?

12. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

My last 2015 2500HD was all original with 90k on the clock. Many of those miles were year round trips to Maine. The state roads stopped using sand years back. Pure brine or salt only. Town roads are sand and calcium everywhere else. Salt in the piles doesn’t work up there due to cold.
    Granted I’m a short term owner but I would have sold any of my past trucks to friends or family without hesitation and slept very well knowing they got a solid well cared for truck.
    Rust needs oxygen and the oil prevents that. Sure it wears away so you recoat that protection.

My fuel charge for a round trip is more than a single treatment.

I will coat my 2018 HD in the same manner.

13. Coyote33

Coyote33

1) My former brother in law used to use a pesticide sprayer to spray his truck with used motor oil. He'd spray inside the body panels and underneath everywhere. Just make sure not to get it on the brakes or where it could catch fire.

2) I always wondered why towns within maybe 20 minutes of the ocean didn't just fill up tank trucks with seawater, and let the salt do its thing. It's free and plentiful.

14. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Probably burns like hell, though.

timbo and Coyote33 like this.
  15. gordfraser

gordfraser

i grew up in the north of Scotland. where cars rusted out in 10 years or less because of the salt.

We used to spray a mix of oil based undercoat (product would go hard when cured) and waste oil.
    this was to prevent the mix from going hard. It would eventually get washed off here and there, but we would re do it every 2 years or so.
    then we would drive up and down a dry dirt road for a while.

if the product went hard when cured then there was more chance of missed places or crack trapping moisture and accelerating the rust process.

G

16. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I did absolutely nothing to my recall-era Tundra. Back last year, I had one cross-member replaced, some rust removed and a big chunk of the front frame-rail re-welded. After 12 years, that was it. No undercoating protection. Nothing. Although it was garaged. Had I taken a better look at it in years 5-10, I probably could have avoided the weld-up on the frame rail. And no, I never did the recall b/c the years it was eligible, there wasn't any significant issues.

What I'm saying is: Your modern car is not going to turn into a pile of orange dust at the first sign of Winter.

17. Coyote33

Coyote33

Ha ha!

18. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

Today's daily driver cars are a major POS. It's not like you can keep it for the next 15 years, what will you do when the computer throws some BS code and the part cant be found?

And any car that is worth anything doesnt see winter roads.

Edit: and I'm not talking about cars that are 15 years old today. I know plenty of you drive those. I'm talking about cars manufactured today, with all the new safety features, computers that brake for you to avoid a collision, park itself and so on...

Asaltweapon likes this.
  19. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

My Ridgeline beeps when I should brake. It’s about a second too early.

20. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

When I drive these so called smart cars I want to scream. Unlike 95% of people on the road my brain processes all moving and stationary items without a problem. Lights, intersections, turning lanes, morons, morons, then the proverbial WTF are you thinking.

Conditions. Conditions. Conditions. They always rule over any crap made algorithms.

21. Misfitmike63

Misfitmike63 NES Member

I did the ziebart undercoating on my 3500 ram, seems good so far

22. Coyote33

Coyote33

I would disable that on the first day.

23. GiveMeLiberty

GiveMeLiberty NES Member

I have used it the last 4 winters and it has been effective.

ETA: This is also a good option...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019