New vid of Tennessee deputies disarming black man for "officer safety" in 2019

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Started with a dispute between neighbors in Shelby County. A male family member who was open carrying shows up at a relative's home where a deputy, who was talking with other occupants of the home, notices his sidearm and draws his service weapon as the man tries to light a cigarette. This starts a verbal dispute. The video goes into TN law on carry, the circumstances under which the police legally can disarm non-LEOs, and case law.

The new video has been edited for clarity and includes narration.

Original video posted by the victim in 2019:

cha ching...another payday for a person of color
Not likely. While he was totally right and the cops totally wrong what are his damages? He was not arrested or even disarmed. Getting into an argument isnt paying out $$$. The chic in car has more of a case of being “damaged“ as she was detained for longer than reasonable, Maybe. And what’s 16 minutes worth? No one is getting a payday here Imho.

What a flaming dumpster load of total losers floating down the river.
  • Cops have better things to do while processing a "see the woman" than to have to watch their back when some relative flounces onto the scene open carrying, and starts waving their arms around Muh Sivil Rites instead of producing their license. How much must he love that parking ticket? PSGWSP.
  • Massachusetts gives you a full month grace period to dig up your LTC no-harm/no-foul/get-your-gun-back if you can't produce it when challenged, and your piece is confiscated. Not sure whether Tennessee is that reasonable; or their law allows immediate charges if you violate the "immediate possession" requirement - even if it's in your range bag or some other stupid excuse.
  • How stupid do you have to be to freaking open carry into the middle of cops talking to your relatives on their front stoop, because "I took a course"?
  • Stupid narrator starts microparsing the fact that a suspect has been cuffed and stuffed for 10 minutes without a plush animal and a juice box only because the complainants are running their mouths about everything but the "stolen" package instead of expediting the investigation.
  • Yet with all the snooty judgmental expertise the narrator don't even touch on the fact that Terry v. Ohio establishes (and Tennessee statute underscores) that the cops have the right to do their job without some clown who is armed getting in their face. And I have no faith that a Red State court is going to second guess a cop for temporarily disarming a suspect whose defiant bodycam footage would never be tolerated in the courtroom.
  • Cops are taking a big chance giving a recalcitrant guy with a gun the option of going inside a house while still strapped just to get him out of their hair. They have no idea whether he's so pissed off that he's gonna pop back out with a rifle and start shooting. If he's worth disarming, he's worth detaining.
  • I'm sure the suspect did merely retrieve a misdelivered package, but it's not obvious that she actually demonstrated that. Showing a cop that you have an empty box with your name on it, even a box provably delivered today that was something that the complainants didn't order, is no proof that you didn't heist another box off your neighbor's porch. That's like "proving" that you couldn't have mugged someone even though your wallet is full of money by flashing an ATM slip. It would be a pretty slick dodge for a petty criminal, but never say never. But...the complainants made so much noise I can't blame the cops for not openly investigating harder. For instance, by making the complainants show them the tracking log for their package (which would read "still out for delivery", DOH!) Frankly the complainants are lucky the cops didn't give up, spring the "suspect", and nope away from the scene.
  • Of course you don't see the noisy complainants post a followup saying, "10 minutes after the cops left, FedEx delivered the package we told the cops that our neighbor stole". Even though that was the likely outcome.
  • Apparently the complainants were blowing smoke about the neighbor having outstanding warrants. Where's the snooty judgment about that? And either she's never been in trouble or she sure got "scared straight" - because when's the last time you saw someone with a criminal record so totally compliant about helping investigation of a (false) accusation that they boosted a package off their neighbor's porch. How few NESers would let themselves get cuffed and stuffed for something they didn't do without at least bitching at Volume 11 about how "I didn't do it"?
  • God help anyone that tries to Sea Lawyer a Terry Stop based on any half-assed advice from that snooty narrator. Depending on whether it's a violent scene or not (or whether the cop has an attitude or not), if a subject starts spouting legalese when faced with a frisking, they're gonna win a tune-up, a ride, or a bullet. I've seen plenty of this guy's videos, and this is hands-down the most craptastic analysis I've ever heard from him.

What a flaming dumpster load of total losers floating down the river.
  • Cops have better things to do while processing a "see the woman" than to have to watch their back when some relative flounces onto the scene open carrying, and starts waving their arms around Muh Sivil Rites instead of producing their license. How much must he love that parking ticket? PSGWSP.
  • Massachusetts gives you a full month grace period to dig up your LTC no-harm/no-foul/get-your-gun-back if you can't produce it when challenged, and your piece is confiscated. Not sure whether Tennessee is that reasonable; or their law allows immediate charges if you violate the "immediate possession" requirement - even if it's in your range bag or some other stupid excuse.
  • How stupid do you have to be to freaking open carry into the middle of cops talking to your relatives on their front stoop, because "I took a course"?
  • Stupid narrator starts microparsing the fact that a suspect has been cuffed and stuffed for 10 minutes without a plush animal and a juice box only because the complainants are running their mouths about everything but the "stolen" package instead of expediting the investigation.
  • Yet with all the snooty judgmental expertise the narrator don't even touch on the fact that Terry v. Ohio establishes (and Tennessee statute underscores) that the cops have the right to do their job without some clown who is armed getting in their face. And I have no faith that a Red State court is going to second guess a cop for temporarily disarming a suspect whose defiant bodycam footage would never be tolerated in the courtroom.
  • Cops are taking a big chance giving a recalcitrant guy with a gun the option of going inside a house while still strapped just to get him out of their hair. They have no idea whether he's so pissed off that he's gonna pop back out with a rifle and start shooting. If he's worth disarming, he's worth detaining.
  • I'm sure the suspect did merely retrieve a misdelivered package, but it's not obvious that she actually demonstrated that. Showing a cop that you have an empty box with your name on it, even a box provably delivered today that was something that the complainants didn't order, is no proof that you didn't heist another box off your neighbor's porch. That's like "proving" that you couldn't have mugged someone even though your wallet is full of money by flashing an ATM slip. It would be a pretty slick dodge for a petty criminal, but never say never. But...the complainants made so much noise I can't blame the cops for not openly investigating harder. For instance, by making the complainants show them the tracking log for their package (which would read "still out for delivery", DOH!) Frankly the complainants are lucky the cops didn't give up, spring the "suspect", and nope away from the scene.
  • Of course you don't see the noisy complainants post a followup saying, "10 minutes after the cops left, FedEx delivered the package we told the cops that our neighbor stole". Even though that was the likely outcome.
  • Apparently the complainants were blowing smoke about the neighbor having outstanding warrants. Where's the snooty judgment about that? And either she's never been in trouble or she sure got "scared straight" - because when's the last time you saw someone with a criminal record so totally compliant about helping investigation of a (false) accusation that they boosted a package off their neighbor's porch. How few NESers would let themselves get cuffed and stuffed for something they didn't do without at least bitching at Volume 11 about how "I didn't do it"?
  • God help anyone that tries to Sea Lawyer a Terry Stop based on any half-assed advice from that snooty narrator. Depending on whether it's a violent scene or not (or whether the cop has an attitude or not), if a subject starts spouting legalese when faced with a frisking, they're gonna win a tune-up, a ride, or a bullet. I've seen plenty of this guy's videos, and this is hands-down the most craptastic analysis I've ever heard from him.

I don't know. When I watched the video I see a couple of cops who are shivering in fear over an armed citizen and start immediately escalating the situation right from the start. If I'm walking around on my own property with a piece strapped to my side and some cop wants to come over and ask me questions but first must put me in handcuffs for 'his' safety, then he's no longer a cop at that point.

I don't know. When I watched the video I see a couple of cops who are shivering in fear over an armed citizen and start immediately escalating the situation right from the start. If I'm walking around on my own property with a piece strapped to my side and some cop wants to come over and ask me questions but first must put me in handcuffs for 'his' safety, then he's no longer a cop at that point.
What's that got to do with someone who injects himself uninvited into
a police interview of "victims" who summoned them to report a "crime"?

An interloper who openly carries a gun,
and refuses to obey a legal demand for their license?

What's that got to do with someone who injects himself uninvited into
a police interview of "victims" who summoned them to report a "crime"?

An interloper who openly carries a gun,
and refuses to obey a legal demand for their license?
Can you give me a timestamp for when he refused to hand over his license?

I thought it was crazy of him to walk into the middle of a situation, strapped up, where officers are investigating a potential crime Like stay in your car dude [laugh]

I don’t live in an open carry state though but I don’t think that would change my opinion
He should not have had to worry, because carrying a firearm should not be considered dangerous, unusual, or an inherent threat to "officer safety."

This thread is infected with authoritarian Massachusetts fuddlore and law enforcement apologia.

Can you give me a timestamp for when he refused to hand over his license?

He should not have had to worry, because carrying a firearm should not be considered dangerous, unusual, or an inherent threat to "officer safety."
You go right ahead and OC unbidden and unannounced
between two cops trying to resolve a porch pirate report,
then give them lip not compliance when they order you to stick 'em up.

You go right ahead and OC unbidden and unannounced
between two cops trying to resolve a porch pirate report,
then give them lip not compliance when they order you to stick 'em up.

I did not say or even suggest I would do that. I said someone "carrying a firearm should not be considered dangerous, unusual, or an inherent threat to 'officer safety.'" Police who are under the false impression no one should be armed but them are the problem in the US.

I did not say or even suggest I would do that. I said someone "carrying a firearm should not be considered dangerous, unusual, or an inherent threat to 'officer safety.'" Police who are under the false impression no one should be armed but them are the problem in the US.
"The problem".

Whether or not you think that beat cops
have a pretty good idea of who's hunting them down so far,
in the very unlikely event the brass tells them that every single clown
with a grip sticking out of their pants must be uncritically regarded as
some kind of Minuteman, they may just learn to code
and dump the job of protecting you and yours entirely in your lap.

By the way, the Open Carry Guy doesn't seem to be "worried" about much of anything.
He sure breezed past those cops without a care in the world.

"The problem".

Whether or not you think that beat cops
have a pretty good idea of who's hunting them down so far,
in the very unlikely event the brass tells them that every single clown
with a grip sticking out of their pants must be uncritically regarded as
some kind of Minuteman, they may just learn to code
and dump the job of protecting you and yours entirely in your lap.
Sure, Officer.
By the way, the Open Carry Guy doesn't seem to be "worried" about much of anything.
He sure breezed past those cops without a care in the world.
Maybe Branch was under the impression the cops would not be concerned that he was carrying--almost as if it's OK to be armed in America.

Let's rephrase.
b5df2823e61e5d8118226426d109fcfdca9d8102165baccc4c96c1a594385677.jpg

Sure, Officer.
Know your target.

Maybe Branch was under the impression the cops would not be concerned that he was carrying--almost as if it's OK to be armed in America.
Or he sails through life oblivious to all that surrounds him.
The Walking Unconscious.

Let's rephrase.
b5df2823e61e5d8118226426d109fcfdca9d8102165baccc4c96c1a594385677.jpg

Know your target.

Or he sails through life oblivious to all that surrounds him.
The Walking Unconscious.
The Law Enforcement Worship sect of NES has reared its head. I suspect there would be similar opposition to other people's right to open carry in the presence of special classes like police unmolested on an Everytown forum. Authoritarians are everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom