New vehicle, what the hell do I do now

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need a lawyer if it's a stupid dealership - you may be able to sit down with them and work it out in an hour. He's not being forceful enough, he should be blowing up in their office, not just on NES.
With all due respect if you believe in your statement then you don’t understand how systemically corrupt the automobile business is.

Demoman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Bought a new ford f550 last February. Dealer dropped it off due to being a special order. When they dropped it off check engine light was on truck pulled right, brakes were howling, they didn't install limiting straps on the back doors the kid dropping it off crushed right rear door. Tail gate wouldn't open tool box locks dont work worth a shot and still dont. Long story short dealer I bought it from didnt want to help at first went to dealer 2 then 3 none of them would do anything also dealer 2 handed me a diagnostic bill for $250 and wanted to charge me to replace the engine harness. That was damaged by me so they told me never touched a thing besides putting the key in to drive it there. So little argument pay 250 then they say its unsafe to drive. Conference call dealer 1 2 and my self dealer 1 takes truck replaces harness. I wont deal with dealer 2. Now truck is down about 5 weeks pick it up. No lights great did get a loaner they had paint less guy fix the door paint cracked and was pealing off new appointment great. Drive it for a week or so end up out of state ecm module let's go have it towed to dealer 3 at my cost sense no one would take ford roadside. They tell me 3 weeks no loaner and no warranty due to custom order truck has 600 miles warranty Info in hand. I contact dealer 1 less then helpful. I have my ramp come and get it and bring it back. Call ford who holds the loan and ask them to start buy back and come pick it up. Back and forth dealer 1 contracts myself takes truck repairs with loaner also repairs rear door again does bad g job over spray everywhere. Going to cut it short truck breaks down repeatedly next few months everytime something different new truck 7 months in the stellar ship only reason was calling ford telling to come get it that anyone would fix it. No one cared call other dealers weeks to months out everytime. We have bought almost 40 ford trucks in the last 12 years. Not again last one was a peterbilt mine should have been as well cost more but what are you going to due

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bought a new ford f550 last February. Dealer dropped it off due to being a special order. When they dropped it off check engine light was on truck pulled right, brakes were howling, they didn't install limiting straps on the back doors the kid dropping it off crushed right rear door. Tail gate wouldn't open tool box locks dont work worth a shot and still dont. Long story short dealer I bought it from didnt want to help at first went to dealer 2 then 3 none of them would do anything also dealer 2 handed me a diagnostic bill for $250 and wanted to charge me to replace the engine harness. That was damaged by me so they told me never touched a thing besides putting the key in to drive it there. So little argument pay 250 then they say its unsafe to drive. Conference call dealer 1 2 and my self dealer 1 takes truck replaces harness. I wont deal with dealer 2. Now truck is down about 5 weeks pick it up. No lights great did get a loaner they had paint less guy fix the door paint cracked and was pealing off new appointment great. Drive it for a week or so end up out of state ecm module let's go have it towed to dealer 3 at my cost sense no one would take ford roadside. They tell me 3 weeks no loaner and no warranty due to custom order truck has 600 miles warranty Info in hand. I contact dealer 1 less then helpful. I have my ramp come and get it and bring it back. Call ford who holds the loan and ask them to start buy back and come pick it up. Back and forth dealer 1 contracts myself takes truck repairs with loaner also repairs rear door again does bad g job over spray everywhere. Going to cut it short truck breaks down repeatedly next few months everytime something different new truck 7 months in the stellar ship only reason was calling ford telling to come get it that anyone would fix it. No one cared call other dealers weeks to months out everytime. We have bought almost 40 ford trucks in the last 12 years. Not again last one was a peterbilt mine should have been as well cost more but what are you going to due
Why would you ever take delivery of that?

Demoman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Like Christmas day with a new toy. Was waiting for like 3 months for it to be done. What do you mean you wont fix it. Why would they drop it off like that
It's not unusual for new things to have issues. They generally get fixed right away. Cat is real good at fixing issues

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's not unusual for new things to have issues. They generally get fixed right away. Cat is real good at fixing issues
I dont know if I would call what you described above "issues", more like beat to sh*t.

Like Christmas day with a new toy. Was waiting for like 3 months for it to be done. What do you mean you wont fix it. Why would they drop it off like that
You still took possession of a vehicle with all sorts of damage. I would have told them to GTFO. Did you really think the people that delivered a vehicle with all sorts of damage would actually be easy to deal with and help you fix it?

Sorry it happened to you.

union

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading all this makes me happy I actually work for Toyota and don't have to deal with the dealerships. When it's time I just order what I want and then go pick it up when it is ready. Good luck getting this resolved.

Choctaw

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decades ago my brother bought a corvette. He found out later that the car had been totaled and rebuilt by the dealership. It was literally cobbled together from several cars. They didn't want to play nice when he confronted them. He got a lawyer and the dealership started changing their tune.

They offered to just let him keep it for free. They offered any new car on their lot. Eventually his lawyer got him a cash settlement that was close to 10x his initial investment.

Hang in there.

Demoman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I dont know if I would call what you described above "issues", more like beat to sh*t.

You still took possession of a vehicle with all sorts of damage. I would have told them to GTFO. Did you really think the people that delivered a vehicle with all sorts of damage would actually be easy to deal with and help you fix it?

Sorry it happened to you.
Your right should have refused delivery. We bought 9 new cat excavators this summer 3 of them had one still has boom drift issues same model machines these are far off in serial numbers they retrofit new machines to our spec plumbing pumps so on. They fixed first 2 working on the last one not same as the first fun fact silonod and valve's are made in Singapore.

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Cars definitely come through damaged all the time.
Back 25 years ago, my next door neighbor did auto body for a shop in Beverly. They got the Kelly contract, and were eventually bought out by Kelly because they were so good.
My neighbor was very proud and relieved about one Infiniti that came in with the roof damaged. He described it as looking like a bowl, and with two sharp pointed indentations just to add to the difficulty.
He beat that roof back into shape so well it was better than factory when he got done with it.

Best of luck, OP.

ETA. This is why I'll do museum delivery when I eventually buy a Vette. Even though it's a thousand extra dollars, I'd rather transport it home myself.

Also, you BMW purchasers can pick up in South Carolina. And it's totally free, and available for every model they make.

Last edited:

Fixxah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
We used to have brand new gm products dropped at our lot directly from factory. The AMF of the automobile world. There would be a list of problems and new parts in the trunk to fix the transmissions. 200-4R and 700-R4 mostly in Camaros and TransAm.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just remember EVERYONE you deal with at a dealer has one goal - maximizing/preserving profit on the deal. It's what their pay and stature in the dealership is based on.

The do not care if you are happy and will be a repeat customer years later because the net present expected value of the possible future transaction, to them personally, is close to zero.

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MA dealer says he is a "victim" as well. Says they were NOT told of this in any way shape or form. The truck was only at the MA dealer 2 days until I took delivery of it.
He's not a victim of anything but incompetence. He took someone else's possession and flipped it without doing his own due dilligence.

I bought my last car from a close family member that bought it new, I was there when he paid for it- I got it at 5y and 24k miles. It had been in a significant accident, and when I had to get it repainted after a lightning strike the paint shop was like "wow, someone did a good job on this car, you can tell it was pretty f***ed"

I stammered "excuse me?" To which he showed the frame pull marks and just the little things that weren't quite right- then it all made sense- the ball joints that would go on one side all the time, the squeaky rear passenger window with the roller marks, the door that would grind when it opened...

Dont let them get away with it- I must have dropped 6-8k in weird repairs on that thing (broken suspension spring, not worn, snapped broken), that was a lot of money on top of regular maintenance.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told that this is not a repair issue but a matter that only the dealers can resolve. NOT GMC.

So, do I call the Attorney General, call a Lawyer or A and B?

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Bought a new ford f550 last February. Dealer dropped it off due to being a special order.

When they dropped it off check engine light was on truck pulled right, brakes were howling, they didn't install limiting straps on the back doors the kid dropping it off crushed right rear door. Tail gate wouldn't open tool box locks dont work worth a shot and still dont. Long story short dealer I bought it from didnt want to help at first.

Went to dealer 2 then 3 none of them would do anything also dealer 2 handed me a diagnostic bill for $250 and wanted to charge me to replace the engine harness. That was damaged by me so they told me never touched a thing besides putting the key in to drive it there. So little argument pay 250 then they say its unsafe to drive.

Conference call dealer 1 2 and my self dealer 1 takes truck replaces harness. I wont deal with dealer 2. Now truck is down about 5 weeks pick it up. No lights great did get a loaner they had paint less guy fix the door paint cracked and was pealing off new appointment great.

Drive it for a week or so end up out of state ecm module let's go have it towed to dealer 3 at my cost sense no one would take ford roadside. They tell me 3 weeks no loaner and no warranty due to custom order truck has 600 miles warranty Info in hand. I contact dealer 1 less then helpful. I have my ramp come and get it and bring it back.

Call ford who holds the loan and ask them to start buy back and come pick it up. Back and forth dealer 1 contracts myself takes truck repairs with loaner also repairs rear door again does bad g job over spray everywhere. Going to cut it short truck breaks down repeatedly next few months everytime something different new truck 7 months in the stellar ship only reason was calling ford telling to come get it that anyone would fix it. No one cared call other dealers weeks to months out everytime. We have bought almost 40 ford trucks in the last 12 years. Not again last one was a peterbilt mine should have been as well cost more but what are you going to due
Ford should have installed the Pagination package as well. ;)

(I assume you dictated this into your phone. LOL. That was the best I was willing to do.)

boilermaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
GMC might be disappointed in the way their dealer handles the situation, but I don't think they will help you much, they deliver a truck in good working order to their dealer who clearly f'ed it up.
I would still continue to push the dealer you bought from. Have they even looked at it, ie put it up on a lift.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't understand. Why are you talking to GMC?

Be straight up:

Dealer ABC, this happened, I have this paperwork from a mechanic. All I want is a replacement truck at no extra cost, no taxes, no inspection sticker cost ... and for you to move the after market accessories over at no cost. You do that and we call it a day and we each go our ways. You dont do that, and the next time you hear from me, it will be through my attorney.

If they say no, you put your lawyers business card on the table and tell them all communications go through him now.

Done.

Who they bought it from doesnt mater.
The factory, at last for now, doesnt mater- unless the lawyer days otherwise.

You are being very reasonable by asking for a straight up trade.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have been told that this is not a repair issue but a matter that only the dealers can resolve. NOT GMC.

So, do I call the Attorney General, call a Lawyer or A and B?
I would call a good lawyer. I suspect he will threaten triple damages. Assuming the dealer is not offering any help, I would speak to the General Manager at the dealership you bought the truck from and tell him, very nicely and calmly, that you would like a similarly equipped 2020, for exactly the same price, including sales tax, excise tax etc. or you will sue for triple damages and legal costs. If they refuse, I would contact a good lawyer.

Top Bottom