• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NEW vanity call sign! I got WX1USN

I just had to look it up. I didn't really understand what QSO parties were. I just assumed it was people from a state trying to make as many contacts as possible. Or trying to contact people within their own state. But I'd hear "Any station anywhere" and figured maybe there were different types. So I'd answer their calls trying to help them out. It appears I was just wasting everyone's time. What a boob.

I was hammock portable on Sunday. My QTHammock tends to hit way more stations in FL than my QTHouse, so I like to try and get stations near where my mom lives.

I just had to look it up. I didn't really understand what QSO parties were. I just assumed it was people from a state trying to make as many contacts as possible. Or trying to contact people within their own state. But I'd hear "Any station anywhere" and figured maybe there were different types. So I'd answer their calls trying to help them out. It appears I was just wasting everyone's time. What a boob.

I was hammock portable on Sunday. My QTHammock tends to hit way more stations in FL than my QTHouse, so I like to try and get stations near where my mom lives.

QSO Parties are a form of contest, the name is a bit misleading because they are not really looking to carry on a QSO beyond a brief exchange. Any given weekend there may be several domestic and/or international contests going on. The operators are looking for a signal report, RS for phone (59), RST for CW (599) even if you do not read them that well it is given for simplicity. Then there is an exchange that is contest specific, it could be your state, ITU or CQ zone, your name, or most often a serial number incremental with each contact.

I have been inactive for over a year now, but for many years contesting was my only on air activity, other then getting into the pileups when there was a rare dxpedition in operation.

WA7BNM has a contest calendar that is the gold standard for information.
WA7BNM Contest Calendar: Home

Solar index is rising so it may be time to get my gear rearranged and back on the air this summer, radios, amps, tower out back with a fine antenna array been sitting idle long enough.

🐯

That site is great but i have a couple questions, first what is a serial number and how do I get one? Do you have to get one for each contest as they all seem to ask for a 59 Serial number etc. or is it our call signs?
Second I thought it was to make as many contacts and wonder if they could be used for WAS, although do most of the contesters log their contacts in LOTW, probably not. I do see that they mainly just give 59's no matter if you are lost in the weeds.

I have been doing POTA as they will give more realistic reception reports and I am trying to figure out how I sound also for the most part it is more laid back, more than just details.

I enjoy trying to get through pileups with my 80 watts fighting the big boys with their 1,500 watt linears

That site is great but i have a couple questions, first what is a serial number and how do I get one? Do you have to get one for each contest

As I said it is, "a serial number incremental with each contact," or a contact number. So my first contact of the contest would be given 001 and then so on.
Let's say I was work the WAE DX CW contest and my call was W1NES (it's not), the exchange with a German station responded to my first CQ of the contest would be.
Me: CQ WAE W1NES W1NES
Him: DL2AAE
Me: DL2AAE 599 001
Him: TU 599 036
Me: TU QRZ

That was his 36th contact, my next one will be 002.

Second I thought it was to make as many contacts and wonder if they could be used for WAS, although do most of the contesters log their contacts in LOTW, probably not.

I always uploaded my logs and you can always send them a card and request QSL.

Edit: I should note that in the above scenario I am the "running" station, I hold the frequency and am calling on it, DL2AAE answers my call and then moves on to find another or perhaps finds a clear frequency and starts to call CQ Contest himself.

🐯

Last edited:
Quick question I like Special Events Stations, I worked both the LA Purchase and Kennedy Space Center Special events, is there a calendar of Special Events?
I've worked a couple special events. I like that they take a little time with each person to talk about the event. And it's not the same thing, because waiting through the pileup for 15 minutes with them repeating the same info would drive me off. I find most special events are things outside my wheelhouse but interesting nonetheless, which I guess is the point.

I saw a video last night talking about Youth on the Air (YOTA). Every country but the US uses a YOTA suffix for their special events, but the US doesn't have 4-letter suffixes so they just use X#Y, X#O, X#T, and X#A. Something to watch/listen for. I don't know their schedule but I bet they're more active during the summer.

Not exactly a calendar, but ARRL has a list.

I was doing both, the Florida QSO party and have been doing a bunch of POTA parks
I'll keep an eye/ear out for you. I don't see a lot of MA park activators on pota.app and seldom hear them when I do, even on 40m. I can usually hear MA stations on 40m, just not POTAs. I hoped I'd hear more when I'm hammock portable in VT, but it's really only 30 miles or so from my house. That S-0 noise floor is delicious, but doesn't stop signals from skipping over me.

One of these days I'll activate a park myself. It's on my list for the summer. I haven't worked a pileup yet so that's my hangup. I'm sure I'll be fine. I've worked some folks who suck at it and nobody cares.

I've worked a couple special events. I like that they take a little time with each person to talk about the event. And it's not the same thing, because waiting through the pileup for 15 minutes with them repeating the same info would drive me off. I find most special events are things outside my wheelhouse but interesting nonetheless, which I guess is the point.

I saw a video last night talking about Youth on the Air (YOTA). Every country but the US uses a YOTA suffix for their special events, but the US doesn't have 4-letter suffixes so they just use X#Y, X#O, X#T, and X#A. Something to watch/listen for. I don't know their schedule but I bet they're more active during the summer.

Not exactly a calendar, but ARRL has a list.

I was thrilled when I worked the Kennedy Space Center and can't wait to see the QSL card!

POTA is fun! Once I get better at it I will maybe try being an activator

Back
Top Bottom