New USPSA shooter

hijinx

NES Member
Looking to get into shooting USPSA in production class. Does anyone know if there is an intro to USPSA that any ranges put on? I'm located in Fitchburg and have found Hopinkton (I believe) that does practice sessions. If anyone attends these, are these sessions for beginners or are they team practice sessions?

Thanks for any help provided. I know my first few times are going to be slow while concentrating on fundamentals and safety. Would like to get a beginner class or a few practice sessions in before the first one so I'm not a total soup sandwich.

Hopkinton is just open public uspsa practice. They welcome new competitors and usually have a uspsa class in the spring. Thou I don't see it on their calendar yet. Show up on a Wednesday and ask the guys. I'm a member there, shoot USPSA but have trouble making Weds as I'm out of Sterling.

Thanks! I thought I had seen that post before but couldn't find it when I searched this sub-forum. Didn't think to look in the general forum. I'll be on the look out for this year's class.
I think they were trying to gain more attention by posting in the general forum? Anyway, I'm sure Peter and Sean will be chiming in soon.

Nice to see another shooter wanting to try USPSA. You'll really enjoy it - beats shooting stationary.

Thanks! I thought I had seen that post before but couldn't find it when I searched this sub-forum. Didn't think to look in the general forum. I'll be on the look out for this year's class.

We have not set this years date yet, but have just started to plan. You are welcome to join us on Wednesday nights (5:30) for practice. Bring your pistol, holster, magazine(s) and ammo.

Before you strap up, let one of the folks know you are new & need them to walk you through the safe table procedure. We're are a very welcoming group and will be happy to walk you through the basics.

Just about all has been said already. Yea I do post the class in the general forum to try and catch people who are interested but never think to scroll down to the competition forums. Harvard also runs practices, I believe on Weds nights, but not sure about any other clubs. If you can make the trek down you’re welcome to shoot with us; very informal, low key, and no pressure atmosphere.

Peter

Harvard does not have a formal Intro to USPSA course, but the Wednesday evening (5-7PM) practices are open to all comers and are a good place to learn the basics. Right now practices are indoors in the clubhouse, but once things warm up/the sun is out later/the ranges aren't mud pits we'll move back outside.

Just make sure you have an OWB holster for whatever pistol you've got, plus the basic safety gear (eye + ear protection). If you've got magazine pouches that's great, but not strictly necessary.

just noticed this on Hopkinton (hsasports.com) website and thought of this thread

Intro to USPSA Course (Clubhouse and Large Bays closed)
When Sat, April 13, 7am – 5pm

no info on signup but I'm sure someone else can provide that

just noticed this on Hopkinton (hsasports.com) website and thought of this thread

Intro to USPSA Course (Clubhouse and Large Bays closed)
When Sat, April 13, 7am – 5pm

no info on signup but I'm sure someone else can provide that

If you plan on going to the Marlboro show this weekend, stop by our table & pick up a flyer. I am not sure if we are supposed to post the information before that. Someone else may chime in.

If you plan on going to the Marlboro show this weekend, stop by our table & pick up a flyer. I am not sure if we are supposed to post the information before that. Someone else may chime in.

There will be a post here with a link to signup, however I think the plan is to wait until after the Marlboro show to give those in attendance the first opportunity to sign up, as space is limited.

not to hijack the thread (but now totally hijacking the thread), I've signed up for the intro course at hopkington. I've seen some other threads about what kind of gear to get (holsters, belts, pouches, etc.). I plan on picking up something middle of the road, but my question is which gun to use. I could go with glock 19 I've got which I shoot OK, or full size 1911 which I shoot better than OK (still probably not that great though). Plenty of mags for both (thank you brownells coupons)

Either one is fine. At a match the Glock would put you in Production division, the 1911 would put you in Single Stack. For the purposes of the class it doesn't matter which one you choose.

not to hijack the thread (but now totally hijacking the thread), I've signed up for the intro course at hopkington. I've seen some other threads about what kind of gear to get (holsters, belts, pouches, etc.). I plan on picking up something middle of the road, but my question is which gun to use. I could go with glock 19 I've got which I shoot OK, or full size 1911 which I shoot better than OK (still probably not that great though). Plenty of mags for both (thank you brownells coupons)

Signed up for the class as well. I'll be bringing a P320 X-5 to shoot production division. I don't think you'd go wrong shooting either one of the pistols you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom