• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New turkey hunter in MA

I'm a new shooter and have never been hunting. I think I'd like to try turkey hunting, but know almost nothing about it. Turkeys seem like a worthy adversary and they taste pretty good, too. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks.

Get a blind, learn how to sit very still, learn how to use a call, good camoflage is essential, turkeys can see a knat fart at 100 yards, or at least it seems that way.

Are those pop up blinds you find at bp and cabelas sufficient, or do you want to look for a more natural situation? Is a turkey hunt gear heavy like duck hunting over decoys?

Pop up blinds are ok, a few feet of burlap works too if you have a decent back round. They won't care if there is something new, as long as it doesn't move.

I usually set up a couple of hen decoys, get in behind some mixed natural/man made concealment, usually with a big tree or rock behind me. Keep the shot gun or bow in pretty much the ready position and then keep my hands low to use the striker call.

dont get mad if you get to your spot in the morning and there is someone there already. Theres a lot of turkey hunters.

and people will shoot at your decoys. lol I was out with a friend and they shot at our decoys. i was like WTF? if you can try to find private land.

heres a video i found on how to clean them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been turkey hunting for a while and I will say that a blind is unnecessary. It's not like dear hunting. You can hunt several different areas in one morning. I have never used a blind.

Back
Top Bottom