• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Troy sights shooting low - adjustment maxed out

I need some advice on the sights below, which I can't get to zero for elevation:

http://www.amazon.com/Troy-Industri...qid=1425838145&sr=8-3&keywords=troy+hk+sights

Shooting about 2-3 inches low at 25 yds (so about 8 MOA). Problem is that the front sight seems to be maxed out in the direction I need to turn it (clockwise). Any one had any similar issues with Troy sights?

I guess it's possible that I may not be aligning the sight picture correctly as I've never used these HK style sights before, but other than that I'm puzzled. Already took out the front sight post to make sure threads were clean and clear of junk.

Did you by any chance put a gas-block height sight on a quad rail?

Not sure to be honest. It is mounted on my quad rail, but I'm not sure if it's a gas block height style sight. Can't seem to find any conclusive info on it.

Those are the micro sights, lower height than standard. For rifles with a raised rail, front and rear.

Need a pic of your rifle with installed sights to see whats going on.

Last edited:
Is that hand-guard rail the same height as the upper receiver rail?

Yes, same height as upper receiver rail. This is mounted on a piston driven HK (MR 556 model), and the front hand guard is secured by some cutouts in the upper receiver and one bolt on the underside. Slides right off for cleaning/maintenance of the piston, pusher rod, etc.

Not sure to be honest. It is mounted on my quad rail, but I'm not sure if it's a gas block height style sight. Can't seem to find any conclusive info on it.

The micro sights are for raised top rails, is that what you have?

Edit: sounds like you do if it's an MR556.

The micro sights are for raised top rails, is that what you have?

Edit: sounds like you do if it's an MR556.

Yes, raised top rail.

At this point, who knows. I'll have to go back to range and really set up the rifle so it's locked in and not moving so I can take any movement out of the equation. I didn't have it in a brace or rifle rest today, so that cold be a factor. Weird part was that the front sight was nearly bottomed out right out of box. I shot a group 2" low, then went to put in an adjustment on front sight and only got two or three clicks before it was bottomed out.

If I recall correctly, I once made the mistake of putting a gas block height rail on a quad rail, or vice-versa, and I was WAY more than 2" low at 25 yards. I don't think I could get within 6-8" with everything maxed out.

did you get it the post to actually move ? Like the dual plate set up on the tritium set up ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUu1sFiL6cI drove me and my friend nuts as we didnt notice the dual "plate" as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUu1sFiL6cI

as for a sight picture you want to look through the rear peep. your eye and brain will do a pretty good job of centering the front sight post on their own. You then place the post where you want the bullet to strike....mind you you these are BUIS and you need to zero to a distance that will give you a " hit" on target from X yards to Y yards.
A 50yd zero will basically give you a hit on target from 0-200ish yards with in 2" or so high or low.

do you have a straight edge to check how square or level the quad rail is to the reciever?

with basic m855 ammo your impact @ 25 yards for a 50 yard zero will be low anyway.... about 3/4"-1" depending on rifle.

Take a little more time at the range. What ammo are you using ? get good measurements. about 2-3" is very broad range at 25 yards. Shoot a few 3 shot groups and make sure your 3 shot groups are consistent.

http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_a/pdf/fm3_22x9c1.pdf there is a lot of info to absorb here go to chapter 5 if your new to ARs this section should help. you may need to install a shorter front sight?

Last edited:
did you get it the post to actually move ? Like the dual plate set up on the tritium set up ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUu1sFiL6cI drove me and my friend nuts as we didnt notice the dual "plate" as seen here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUu1sFiL6cI

as for a sight picture you want to look through the rear peep. your eye and brain will do a pretty good job of centering the front sight post on their own. You then place the post where you want the bullet to strike....mind you you these are BUIS and you need to zero to a distance that will give you a " hit" on target from X yards to Y yards.
A 50yd zero will basically give you a hit on target from 0-200ish yards with in 2" or so high or low.

do you have a straight edge to check how square or level the quad rail is to the reciever?

with basic m855 ammo your impact @ 25 yards for a 50 yard zero will be low anyway.... about 3/4"-1" depending on rifle.

Take a little more time at the range. What ammo are you using ? get good measurements. about 2-3" is very broad range at 25 yards. Shoot a few 3 shot groups and make sure your 3 shot groups are consistent.

http://armypubs.army.mil/doctrine/DR_pubs/dr_a/pdf/fm3_22x9c1.pdf there is a lot of info to absorb here go to chapter 5 if your new to ARs this section should help. you may need to install a shorter front sight?

Thanks for the videos. Unfortunately, the Troy HK sight is just a standard, solid post; doesn't have the dual plate. That looks like it's specific just to the tritium sight so you can swing it around after adjustment if it's facing the wrong way. That does like a pain in the ass though.

I'll have to hit the range again and really play around with them. I've never had to take more than 5 minutes to zero an AR's iron sights, and this thing drove me nuts today.

but when you say it was 2-3 inches low, do you mean lower than your point of aim?

because as mac pointed out, that's not so far off from where it should be at 25 yds.

consider @ 0 yds it's going to be as low as the sights are high so if the top of the front sight is 2" above the barrel then the point of impact is going to be 2" lower than the point of aim. 25 yds out it's not that different really--still about 2" low

m19320from201620inch20barrel2025205020and2010020zero2002.jpg

but when you say it was 2-3 inches low, do you mean lower than your point of aim?

because as mac pointed out, that's not so far off from where it should be at 25 yds.

consider @ 0 yds it's going to be as low as the sights are high so if the top of the front sight is 2" above the barrel then the point of impact is going to be 2" lower than the point of aim. 25 yds out it's not that different really--still about 2" low

m19320from201620inch20barrel2025205020and2010020zero2002.jpg

If it was a 50 yard zero then 2 or so inches low would be normal at 25yds. I was at 25yds and trying to zero it there, so point if aim should be point of impact. However I usually set up a 50 yard zero so I could leave it as is and be more less on target at 50 yds. But I still don't like the fact that there's NO room at all left to bring elevation up in the adjustment. I should have some room to adjust on either side.

If it was a 50 yard zero then 2 or so inches low would be normal at 25yds. I was at 25yds and trying to zero it there, so point if aim should be point of impact. However I usually set up a 50 yard zero so I could leave it as is and be more less on target at 50 yds. But I still don't like the fact that there's NO room at all left to bring elevation up in the adjustment. I should have some room to adjust on either side.

25 yd zero is really hard to do with iron sights--they were never intended to be zero'd that close and from what I understand some (most or all?) just won't do it.

you'd need to get a shorter front post to make it happen--but why zero at 25 yds?

maybe this helps

Trajectory.jpg

I agree for most purposes that a 25 yd zero is useless. It may be that once I get out to the 50 or 100 yard range the issue remedies itself.

When you removed the sight post did it look like it was even machined deep enough to go lower?
Maybe contact troy and see what they say.
You should be able to get to 25yard zero the 25m zero target is only a few yards more.
You can shorten post or shorten post assemble from threaded side?

So I just spoke to Troy via phone. They said there isn't a lot of adjustment by construction in those sights. Told me just to shave down the front sight post a little bit.

Easy enough.

So I just spoke to Troy via phone. They said there isn't a lot of adjustment by construction in those sights. Told me just to shave down the front sight post a little bit.

Easy enough.

I would be concerned about the squareness of the front post as viewed from all sides.

Not worth messing with in my opinion--don't fix what's not broken.

Back
Top Bottom