New trend of wearing body armor in public

Reptile

NES Member
Shooter-Chic, Tactical-Chic?

So maybe this will start a trend of wearing body armor in public?

Could be an interesting self expression project.

I can see body armor or tactical vests becoming en vogue due to all these shootings.

Wow, I think we are on to something here.

Maybe this will be a thing.

Rapper 50 cent used to do this.

Now people are doing it just to make a statement.

I don't think this can be made illegal in Massachusetts.

There are so many kinds of self expression...

Furries, Drag Queens, Adults dressed as babies, Constables dressed as cops...

How about head to toe tactical gear?
(minus a visible firearm)

Once all the cops in town get to know your style, they'll leave you alone.

You'd be very surprised if you knew how many people wear body armor that doesn't show.

There are a huge number of manufacturers making backpacks for body armor inserts.

So who knows how many little kids are running around with them on, that the average joe is just not aware of.

I was under the impression that body armor that doesn’t show is mostly ineffective. Cops wear body armor frequently. Some departments seem to make it mandatory. Easy to spot.

That depends on your size, your external clothing layer and type of body armor.

Sure, its easy to spot the bulky armor when all you are wearing is a tailored uniform shirt thats marginally too tight.

Put on a properly sized dress shirt, tie and suit coat or a loose sweatshirt and it disappears pretty well.

Thin armor is effective up to .44mag and will conceal easily even under a T shirt, certainly under a shirt sport coat or sweater.

I don't think this can be made illegal in Massachusetts.

BODY ARMOR, USE IN FELONY c269 §10D (Effective 8/27/83)

on [DATE OF OFFENSE:] did, in the commission or attempted commission of a felony, use or wear body armor, so-called, or some protective covering for the body or parts thereof, made of resin-treated glass-fiber cloth, or of any other material or combination of materials, designed to prevent, deflect or deter the penetration thereof by ammunition, knives or other weapons, in violation of G.L. c.269, §10D. (PENALTY: state prison not less than 2½ years, not more than 5 years; or jail or house of correction not less than 1 year, not more than 2½ years.)

Every day, the average American commits three felonies.

I think you need level IIIA for 44 magnum. Don’t think it stops rifle though. Even IIIA is somewhat bulky but in cooler months it can conceal on many folks. When you start going to rifle protection things get trickier in terms of bulk (plates).

Seems to me more than 3/4 of active shooters use rifles. So you better go plates or go home if the goal is for surviving such a scenario.

Why stop at body armor...?

iu

Paranoia.

Or they’re doing it because fashion, or to make a statement, in which case they’re pawns in the collectivists’ war on guns/freedom.

There is a company that makes business suits that are bullet proof that are quite fashionable and amazingly expensive. I always thought body armor was effective for most pistol rounds but useless against rifle rounds.

Outside of training I guess, does anybody on here who isn't an LEO actually wear body armor on a regular basis?

I lump them in the same category as the 38 yo guy who goes to the ballpark with crappy seats but brings his glove. "You never know when a screaming liner will come at you." Yeahok. You go with that. How is the lighting in your mom's basement? I mean, decades of MEN went to a baseball game without a glove. You need it for protection. I think you don't understand the odds on that one. Maybe watched too many ESPN Not Top 10 videos on Youtube. Or maybe consider a tactical shield. ROFL!!! Ditto for the body-armor-in-public guys.

Armor comes in a few flavors: hard plates and soft vests, or soft plates.

Hard plates are usually steel or ceramic and defeat most rifle rounds. It’s pretty heavy and cumbersome; not something you’d want to throw on and go to the grocery store with. It would be very hard to conceal.

Soft armor is usually worn in a vest sort of like police wear daily. It’s pretty light and a lot more comfortable than hard plates. Depending on its NIJ rating it can be easy to conceal or moderately difficult. You could probably get away with level IIa under a baggy butt on down, but level IIIa would probably make you look a little boxy even under a thick sweatshirt. Pretty much any soft armor is more comfortable than hard armor, though it can get hot in the summer.

For those that have never worn armor, a good way to test it out is to throw on some steel plates before a jog. The misery gets very real very fast.

There are a huge number of manufacturers making backpacks for body armor inserts.

My backpack goes through TSA routinely with a IIIA insert in the hydration compartment and an empty holster and double mag pouch. Rolled to my chest, I have armor, a pistol and 52rd 9mm (when not at airports).

Years ago my wife used to walk a few laps around the neighborhood with a couple other women every morning. One of them stared wearing weights Velcroed onto her sneakers. When it got a little cooler out, my wife started wearing her Plate Carrier with a Level IV Plate under her sweatshirt. She said it really enhanced the workout. She told the other ladies what she was wearing, they didn't seem to care.

Back
Top Bottom