• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Trapdoor Project

The Goose

NES Member
I don't know what possessed me to buy this rifle, other then impulse. I thought it looked cool. It is an 1873 Springfield Trapdoor 45/70. It is a legitimate antique, but that is the only legitimate thing about it. It may have been made as a hobby/project out of scrap parts or it may have been made to deceive for profit. The rifle is made to appear to be an Indian capture carbine. It has neither an Indian provenance nor is it a carbine. It is a cut down rifle. Someone actually did a very good job of putting this together. There are over a hundred old tacks set into the stock. The butt plate has been removed, as was customary. They made very good hide scrapers. The wrist has been thinned for easier grasping on horseback. The serial number dates the action to the so called "Custer Era". So the assumption might be that it was captured at the Last Stand. If that were true it would be worth a bundle. The good news for me is that the seller labeled it a recreation (bubba'd) and so the price was commensurate (cheap). Tight and perfectly functioning action and good bore, a shooter. I wanted to load up some 45/70 that would be as close as possible to the original. I turned to Spence Wolf's book on the subject. I cast some Lee 405 gr hollow base bullets using a fairly soft alloy and lubed with SPG. Per Wolf's advice I enlarged the flash holes in the brass. I also acquired a special expander plug to more easily seat the .460 bullet. I loaded 55 grs if Goex 2f, the original Army carbine load, through a drop tube followed by a slight compression using a compression die. A .030 wad, a grease cookie, another wad and then seated the bullet. Finally a taper crimp. The next warm day it is off to the range. I will let you guys know how it goes. I bet it will garner some attention at the range. IMG_20180119_075924364.jpg IMG_0559A.JPG IMG_0564A.JPG IMG_0561A.JPG

Trapdoors are fun, I've got a couple. You can always go with the 10gr of unique load with whatever lead projectile you like. Total powderpuff.

I don't know what possessed me to buy this rifle, other then impulse. I thought it looked cool. It is an 1873 Springfield Trapdoor 45/70. It is a legitimate antique, but that is the only legitimate thing about it. It may have been made as a hobby/project out of scrap parts or it may have been made to deceive for profit. The rifle is made to appear to be an Indian capture carbine. It has neither an Indian provenance nor is it a carbine. It is a cut down rifle. Someone actually did a very good job of putting this together. There are over a hundred old tacks set into the stock. The butt plate has been removed, as was customary. They made very good hide scrapers. The wrist has been thinned for easier grasping on horseback. The serial number dates the action to the so called "Custer Era". So the assumption might be that it was captured at the Last Stand. If that were true it would be worth a bundle. The good news for me is that the seller labeled it a recreation (bubba'd) and so the price was commensurate (cheap). Tight and perfectly functioning action and good bore, a shooter. I wanted to load up some 45/70 that would be as close as possible to the original. I turned to Spence Wolf's book on the subject. I cast some Lee 405 gr hollow base bullets using a fairly soft alloy and lubed with SPG. Per Wolf's advice I enlarged the flash holes in the brass. I also acquired a special expander plug to more easily seat the .460 bullet. I loaded 55 grs if Goex 2f, the original Army carbine load, through a drop tube followed by a slight compression using a compression die. A .030 wad, a grease cookie, another wad and then seated the bullet. Finally a taper crimp. The next warm day it is off to the range. I will let you guys know how it goes. I bet it will garner some attention at the range.View attachment 218735 View attachment 218736 View attachment 218737 View attachment 218738

Awesome!

I always want to go after the bubba deals but I’m worried they’ve been bubba’d to death.
Looks like a really fun shooter for sure.
Did you slug the bore?

If you want to duplicate the original black powder load, look at the Lyman 457125. It's a 500 grain round nose plain base. I use it in an 1873 Trapdoor. I've also used the hollow base Lee you mentioned. If you want to try some of those big Lyman bullets, let me know. I can bring you a few the next time you're shooting at Shirley. A word of warning about recoil. The Army reduced both the bullet weight and the powder charge for use in the carbine. This was done because recoil from the rifle load was pretty substantial in the carbine.

Awesome Goose looks like an Indians Wars piece especially with those tacks on the stock fun find.

Back
Top Bottom