New trap shooter here...advice on vest or shell pouch?

So I went trap shooting for the first time last night. I was the guy there stuffing his pockets with shells because I didn't have a ouch or vest. I'd never been to one before so I didn't know what equipment was needed. Anyway, can someone recommend to me a shell pouch or vest? Is one preferred over the other?

Thanks.

Pete

I have a vest and a couple of belt pouches. The pouches are more convenient for winter because I strap them on over my coat. In warm weather, I like the vest. Personal preference. My wife got me a nice pouch that has two outer pockets for live shells and a large mesh inner pouch for the spent hulls. It is especially nice for sporting clays where I may want to carry two type shells depending on the target type/distance. The inner pocket also has a zippered bottom for easy dumping of the hulls.

Good luck.

I think you just need a pouch to start. The vest might be a bit much to start out with. There are different pouch types. I started with just a Cabelas basic pouch. I bought a second and use both on one belt, one to hold my box of shells and one to hold the empty hulls.

Like stance, action type and maker, it's personal l prefernece.

I wear a vest and a pouch at "real" shoots. That way I don't have a weight on my shoulder that's different from what I'm used to. (My club has posts that you can put your shells on at the 16 yd line, so for singles, I use that).

Don't go crazy, get a nylon belt that's big enough to go on over a winter coat (Trap shooters are rugged, not bright!) [laugh]

After a bit more shooting, you;ll have a better idea of what you want.

Nylon pouch and belt. Best for a beginner. Vest is a little out of style and also more for the advanced shooters. One looks like a bit of a dick shooting 15 wearing a vest.

Nylon pouch and belt. Best for a beginner. Vest is a little out of style and also more for the advanced shooters. One looks like a bit of a dick shooting 15 wearing a vest.

There's an old, wise Trap saying: "You haven't shot your worst round yet." [laugh]

And when you're supposed to be better than that, and you shoot [redacted] what you're wearing doesn't matter!

Last edited:
I purchase the pouch at wal mart the 2 pocket type with the larger zippered pouch for quick empty of spent hulls. The vests are good to have you can keep all your stuff in it.
Eye and ear protection. choke tube wrench. clip a small towell on to it. As you shoot more you will modify as needed.. pouches are simple and easy and you can just leave it in the truck/car.

For vest I have had my browning vest for 6 years and its holding up 100% dont bother with a elcheapo vest.

only pouch I can tell you to stay clear of is the bob allen soft 2 pocket (green) in short time the cheap liner tears inside the pockets and shells get under it. PITA on the line looking for your last few shells.

Hah...I wouldn't want to embarrass myself. I also just joined Nashua Fish and Game and am qualifying for 2 of their ranges today.

I use the cheap Winchester vest available at walmart I think they are $25 or so. I have seen the same exact ones with different logos on them as well.

12466_1192841033674_1607875742_30516474_1444782_n.jpg

I used a free cloth nail pouch from the lumber yard when I used to shoot trap. Worked perfect.

I broke down and bought a Browning vest from MidwayUSA the other day, it's on the doorstep waiting for me at home. If I'm going to be on a trap committee, I have to have one. (At least that's what I told the wife) [grin]

I was using a belt pouch for ever, one that you could put a box of shells in the top part and then your shoot sheels in the bottom, I then found a belt clip one in the same style. I like that one because theres no 2nd belt around me and it's easy to get on and off.

This is kind of like what I was shooting (it is very good) Leather-Shooting-Pouch-with-Belt

Both are good, the 2nd one is just real easy to use. As far as a vest, I could never get uses't to shooting with one on so I don't use them.

And this is what I use now:

-shell-bag

Hah...I wouldn't want to embarrass myself. I also just joined Nashua Fish and Game and am qualifying for 2 of their ranges today.

Stop by Purgatory Falls Fish and Game in Mont Vernon any Saturday morning. We shoot informal trap every Saturday, open to the public, at $3/round. Very casual, no pressure, very supportive group for new shooters. Great place to learn.

Stop by Purgatory Falls Fish and Game in Mont Vernon any Saturday morning. We shoot informal trap every Saturday, open to the public, at $3/round. Very casual, no pressure, very supportive group for new shooters. Great place to learn.

Good to know. Thanks. And it's only about half an hour from me.

I use a vest too. I don't have the red winchester one, I got a tan one from walmart. I like the vest a lot better than the pouches. My wife calls it my "sexy vest". I've had it for a few years now, and it's still holding up fine.

Back
Top Bottom