• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Trap Machine!

turbo38gn

NES Member
I'm happy to announce we have purchased a brandy new Pat Trap machine , singles, doubles and wobble!!
After our 10am trap shoot this morning, we will be retiring the old Western trap machine and installing the new PT!! Watch for new postings here for some league sign ups. I'm hoping to utilize the full capabilities of this great new equipment...
So if you are around this morning …. come on out at 10am and shoot with us.. we're having a goodbye trap shoot for our old reliable Western trap machine, immediately followed by removing the old one and installing the new future of our club!!

Watch here from some promotional prizes for those that choose to participate in the future..

The PAT trap is a great machine. You speak of, (I'm hoping to utilize the full capabilities of this great new equipment...), If you want to step up your game, turn the speed rubber, "all" the way up to max. and do the wobble, aka High Speed Wobble. Try high speed singles first. You may get a broken bird in the machine once in a while.
No time to think, just swing quickly and go for it.

Figure out some heating system for the hydraulics on that machine. When it gets cold, below 40F, it will continue to cycle and throw clays. We have a little heater that warms the filter unit.

Who is doing the set up and install, you or Pat Trap?

Figure out some heating system for the hydraulics on that machine. When it gets cold, below 40F, it will continue to cycle and throw clays. We have a little heater that warms the filter unit.

Who is doing the set up and install, you or Pat Trap?

We are doing it today after the regular trap shoot. From what I was told it's pretty simple process to install... hopefully adjusting it is too.. and help or suggestions are appreciated. I'll definitely want to know more about heating the hydraulics and how you do it..

Turn your machine one 30-60min before use. Works well once fluid is warmed up. At one point we had a timer set up to turn the machine on about 1hr before we show up to set up. By the time we where done setting up the machine was warmed up.
Down side people could not keep thier fingers away from the timer.

Use this person to service your trap machine: Home Page

Steve had done the Fin Fur and Feather (Millis MA) machines and others in the area. He makes a swing through the region yearly and get on his list. An annual service runs about $150 and he checks everything and has a truck load of parts. He does great work and the Pat Trap is an electro-mechanical nightmare with relays and switches.

You can swap the hydraulic oil out to automatic trans fluid for better cold weather performance.
Is this something you have experience with or just a hypothesis? We have had some cold weather issues with our Pad Trap machines but they are kind of sophisticated and expensive for what they do........ So I would not want to "experiment" with them. [grin]

Not specifically with trap machines but with many other electrically driven pieces of hydraulic equipment. Its all off the shelf parts, valves etc. I am very confident it will help cold weather performance without damaging anything. For extreme cold weather performance sub-zero you could even run the blue snowplow oil.

Is this something you have experience with or just a hypothesis? We have had some cold weather issues with our Pad Trap machines but they are kind of sophisticated and expensive for what they do........ So I would not want to "experiment" with them. [grin]
it will be wise of you to know what your machine uses. You can use "any fluid" for hydraulic fluid even water but......
i dont like substitutions.
As for the machine: the above post for yearly service is well worth it and flushing the fluid yearly kept our old machine chugging along.....for the 8 years i was active at the trap range i learned how to maintain and adjust the machine. Made the pole with loop to get the angle and speed correct and even staked out the field.

Last edited:
I'm happy to announce we have purchased a brandy new Pat Trap machine , singles, doubles and wobble!!
After our 10am trap shoot this morning, we will be retiring the old Western trap machine and installing the new PT!! Watch for new postings here for some league sign ups. I'm hoping to utilize the full capabilities of this great new equipment...
So if you are around this morning …. come on out at 10am and shoot with us.. we're having a goodbye trap shoot for our old reliable Western trap machine, immediately followed by removing the old one and installing the new future of our club!!

Watch here from some promotional prizes for those that choose to participate in the future..
Where is club?

couple things … We shot a few rounds with the old Western machine.. it went good..... but the boys were like kids at Christmas.. When I pulled in with the new trap machine, they were all congregated around the trap house.. tape measures in hand.. they couldn't wait to get their hands on it.. I let them do their thing.. before telling them I had everything specked out, figured how to mount it and install it.. so lets get on with some trap shooting. When we are done .. we'll remove the old one and install the new one.. I'll just say.. they couldn't wait to get a round in before wanting to stop and install.. I made em shot one more round.. then it was game on!

Long story short it took us less than an hour and a half and we were shooting wobble, singles and finished up with doubles! It was the most enjoyable day of shooting trap, I've ever had in my short career.. The Pat Trap was flawless, dropped right into our old ATA approved house with the 15" pedestal. I cut half a sheet of 3\4 plywood, bolted it to the base, a few supports and we loaded up the machine.. that wobble is crazy.. I see some fun times in our future.

We plan on putting together some kind of leagues for wobble and doubles.. in the near future, anyone interested let me know.. or any ideas how to set it up..

Back
Top Bottom