Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Savage FCP-SR/10T-SR 24in

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Remington 700 SPS 24in barrel

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Weatherby Vanguard 24in Barrel

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
I'm thinking of picking up a new rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Down to 4 choices. (if the Browning turns out to be heavy enough). Limited to these models/brands since they have 24in or 26in barrels and are a bit heavier (I shoot 95% from a bench, so I hate lightweight rifles). What would you go with, if it was your money?

Browning Xbolt $480 delivered after rebate
Savage 10 FCP-SR or 10T-SR (I prefer the flush mag) $640ish delivered
Remington 700 SPS $609 delivered
Weatherby Vanguard $570 delivered

Last edited:
I have been looking into a bolt gun and like the 6mm family of cartridges .
If that's your budget zone im tempted to say savage. I see a lot of them around and even my daughters savage rascal impresses me at its price point.

I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a Bergara B14 Hunter, a Ruger American Predator and a Savage Model 10 BA Stealth.

For short money the Ruger is tough to beat. The factory stock is pretty cheap but it is bedded, free floated and has a decent recoil pad. The bolt has 3 locking lugs which makes for a shorter throw and more scope clearance. I have gotten impressive accuracy from it off the bench. 3 shots touching at 100 yards is not difficult.

The Bergara I bought on a whim and it's a little nicer but I have only shot it a few times.

The Savage is ridiculously accurate. It's a bit more (about a grand) and I wouldn't want to carry it around much but off a bench you can shoot tiny groups all day and they don't seem to open up much even when the gun is hot or dirty.

I've shot other calibers of the Weatherby Vanguard and Savage Model 10 I would say both are roughly equivalent. Both have been accurate in my experience. Basic rifles but they will shoot.

Last edited:
I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a Bergara B14 Hunter, a Ruger American Predator and a Savage Model 10 BA Stealth.

For short money the Ruger is tough to beat. The factory stock is pretty cheap but it is bedded, free floated and has a decent recoil pad. The bolt has 3 locking lugs which makes for a shorter throw and more scope clearance. I have gotten impressive accuracy from it off the bench. 3 shots touching at 100 yards is not difficult.

The Bergara I bought on a whim and it's a little nicer but I have only shot it a few times.

The Savage is ridiculously accurate. It's a bit more (about a grand) and I wouldn't want to carry it around much but off a bench you can shoot tiny groups all day and they don't seem to open up much even when the gun is hot or dirty.

I've shot other calibers of the Weatherby Vanguard and Savage Model 10 I would say both are roughly equivalent. Both have been accurate in my experience. Basic rifles but they will shoot.

just to add, im not sure if its available in 6.5 but the tikka T3 sporter has been in my eye for a while. its not much more money. I have seen plenty of tikka rifles lately and everyone seems happy.

Think about the Savage f12 6.5 x 284.about $ 1100 .With a a rifle with less than 12 rounds through it , a 20x SWFA scope and still cleaning it every 2 rounds while breaking it in it shoots 3/4 inch at 200 yds with 3 shot groups.

I have a savage 12LRP. The target action/trigger is great. 26" fluted barrel.

Comes with a HS-precision stock which is nice. I decided to upgrade to a MPA chassis for a better fit, but the factory stock is very good too.
If you are planning on replacing the stock, the 10SR may be the way to go. If you are sticking with how the gun comes, you may want to look at the LRP.

Gratuitous Photo:

https://imgur.com/a/H5c2o

Last edited:
I have a savage 12LRP. The target action/trigger is great. 26" fluted barrel.

Comes with a HS-precision stock which is nice. I decided to upgrade to a MPA chassis for a better fit, but the factory stock is very good too.
If you are planning on replacing the stock, the 10SR may be the way to go. If you are sticking with how the gun comes, you may want to look at the LRP.

Gratuitous Photo:

https://imgur.com/a/H5c2o

I won't do business with HS-precision, personally, after they published an endorsement from Lon Horiuchi.

I'm a big fan of Savage based on my experience with my 22LR Mark 2. When I buy a centerfire bolt gun, they'll be the first place I look.

I won't do business with HS-precision, personally, after they published an endorsement from Lon Horiuchi.

I'm a big fan of Savage based on my experience with my 22LR Mark 2. When I buy a centerfire bolt gun, they'll be the first place I look.

I mostly wanted that particular gun for the barrel/action. HS-Precision stock is long-since sold.

Last edited:
Think about the Savage f12 6.5 x 284.about $ 1100 .With a a rifle with less than 12 rounds through it , a 20x SWFA scope and still cleaning it every 2 rounds while breaking it in it shoots 3/4 inch at 200 yds with 3 shot groups.

also the target trigger I have it set at 16 oz, can be turned down to 6 oz..,single shot with a leftside load right side extract

+1 for the Savage. 6.5 CM is a nice round, with plenty of choices for reloading projectiles. Depending upon the rifle (and shooter) 1/2 MOA accuracy can be had with factory match ammo. I prefer the Winchester 140's for factory ammo. One advantage is that it's really flat shooting to 'normal' distances and it's easily above the trans-sonic zone at 1000 yards.

Jeezus, they did that? What was Horiuchi's endorsement? Minute of woman at 200 yards? That's a weird way to sell your rifles...

for budget, the Savage 10

for performance, Bergara LRP elite

avoid the remington

None of the above. I've got my eye on a Sako A7 in 6.5 Creedmoor. H-S Precision (ish, if not actually theirs) stock, solid bedding, and a short throw bolt. While I've not shot one, it feels right in my hands, the action is smooth, the short throw is awesome, the trigger is really decent, and reviews are all-around very good. Too bad it's double what you're looking to spend.

Of the choices you listed, I'd go with the Weatherby.

just to add, im not sure if its available in 6.5 but the tikka T3 sporter has been in my eye for a while. its not much more money. I have seen plenty of tikka rifles lately and everyone seems happy.

Yes, but the Tikka only has a 22in barrel and is too light as far as I'm concerned. I shoot from a bench, and even if I carried it, I hauled an M-1 Garand around for deer hunting one year, so heavy doesn't bother me. [smile]

Same with the Ruger American Predator. I like longer barrels. Maybe I'm compensating for something....

Yes, but the Tikka only has a 22in barrel and is too light as far as I'm concerned. I shoot from a bench, and even if I carried it, I hauled an M-1 Garand around for deer hunting one year, so heavy doesn't bother me. [smile]

Same with the Ruger American Predator. I like longer barrels. Maybe I'm compensating for something....

How heavy do you want it? T3 sporter comes in at 10lbs. 22vs 24-26 will there be a significant difference in,weight,accuracy?

Also consider if your going to be doing mostly bench shooting a left loading port is a great thing...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom