New toy…

Picked up a Springfield EMP 4 today at the mill. Went looking for that exact pistol, but figured I’d have to settle for something similar since it is discontinued. Much to my delight, Randy had one and I scooped it up. Have already been to the range with it and I am beyond pleased with the purchase. Now, the hunt begins for a good quality holster for it. I’m thinking OWB for this one, but if anyone has suggestions for a comfortable IWB for it, I’d be happy to hear your thoughts.
1642282091624.jpeg

Last edited:
Someone should start an acquisition thread organized by month.

Congrats on the new toy.
I plead ignorance. In all my time here, I honestly didn’t know that there was a guns gallery section. I don’t ever scroll past the classifieds. My bad. I just found it and will now be spending the next 45 minutes looking at all the purdy pictures.

Great purchase! Just curious- whats your opinion on the front sight?
So far, I like it. I generally use red dots due to a serious cross-eye dominance issue, but it shows up nicely, even when shooting at a target with an almost identical color bullseye.

if it will fit in a normal 1911 holster. Wish they had one in stock when I got my 4". I have the executive with the weird single loop.

Picked up a Springfield EMP 4 today at the mill. Went looking for that exact pistol, but figured I’d have to settle for something similar since it is discontinued. Much to my delight, Randy had one and I scooped it up. Have already been to the range with it and I am beyond pleased with the purchase. Now, the hunt begins for a good quality holster for it. I’m thinking OWB for this one, but if anyone has suggestions for a comfortable IWB for it, I’d be happy to hear your thoughts.
View attachment 565045
Wow such a plain jane looking gun, is that metal frame and slide…. I like it

Got my EMP 4 Carry in FDE from Randy when I was picking up my FN PS90 from him awhile back (never ask him what else he has that might interest you). If I wasn’t so used to not having a safety on my carry gun, I probably would have switched to it as my primary carry. For me it’s one of the guns I shoot the best. I find the sights, both front and rear, quite good; particularly since I’ve had my cataract surgery.

For a holster I have a Wright Leather Works Banshee IWB. If you want an OWB, I can strongly recommend their Cobra Hybrid which is an IWB/OWB that I use with my P229 for everyday carry (OWB in the cold, IWB when it’s hot). I always get their Master Collection upgrade so you have smooth leather both inside and out.

Such a nice gun deserves a nice holster.

EMP.jpg

Got my EMP 4 Carry in FDE from Randy when I was picking up my FN PS90 from him awhile back (never ask him what else he has that might interest you). If I wasn’t so used to not having a safety on my carry gun, I probably would have switched to it as my primary carry. For me it’s one of the guns I shoot the best. I find the sights, both front and rear, quite good; particularly since I’ve had my cataract surgery.

For a holster I have a Wright Leather Works Banshee IWB. If you want an OWB, I can strongly recommend their Cobra Hybrid which is an IWB/OWB that I use with my P229 for everyday carry (OWB in the cold, IWB when it’s hot). I always get their Master Collection upgrade so you have smooth leather both inside and out.

View attachment 565166
How is the retention on these? I’m used to Jude’s with the positive click to know it’s in and retained. While I’m not expecting that, good retention is necessary for when I try to do a backflip on the dance floor 😂

How is the retention on these? I’m used to Jude’s with the positive click to know it’s in and retained. While I’m not expecting that, good retention is necessary for when I try to do a backflip on the dance floor 😂
I actually almost did do a backflip with mine. A coupled of summers ago I was walking down hill in one of the more heavily wooded parts of the farm with my P229 IWB in the Cobra Hybrid. I tripped over a tree root and went head over teakettle down the hill. The gun didn’t even budge. The holster is designed so that is uses your belt (either when IWB or OWB) to put pressure on the gun to help retain it, yet it is still very easy to draw as long as you pull straight up. Also, I’ve always gone with the Master Collection and the two slightly thinner layers of leather laminated together back to back makes for a particular stiff holster improving both retention and ease of re-holstering.

View attachment 565166
Great buy. I never knew they made one in FDE. I always see them in two-tone , which I don’t really care for.

If, I saw a FDE one on the shelf, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it.

Great buy. I never knew they made one in FDE. I always see them in two-tone , which I don’t really care for.

If, I saw a FDE one on the shelf, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it.
Yeah, I don’t understand why they discontinued them. Even though they aren’t truly a 1911 (they actually only share a few parts with a “real” 1911) to me they are the best 9mm implementation of the platform. Slimmer than a regular 1911 and with the bevel cut on the mainspring housing, it makes an ideal conceal carry gun and fits my smaller hand absolutely perfectly. Like I’ve said, if I hadn’t always carried DA or striker fired guns I would probably have switched to it as my primary carry. I’m just afraid I’m to old to adapt to cocked and locked.

I actually almost did do a backflip with mine. A coupled of summers ago I was walking down hill in one of the more heavily wooded parts of the farm with my P229 IWB in the Cobra Hybrid. I tripped over a tree root and went head over teakettle down the hill. The gun didn’t even budge. The holster is designed so that is uses your belt (either when IWB or OWB) to put pressure on the gun to help retain it, yet it is still very easy to draw as long as you pull straight up. Also, I’ve always gone with the Master Collection and the two slightly thinner layers of leather laminated together back to back makes for a particular stiff holster improving both retention and ease of re-holstering.
I just ordered the Cobra hybrid master collection. Thank you for the recommendation. I’ll report back when it comes in.

I just ordered the Cobra hybrid master collection. Thank you for the recommendation. I’ll report back when it comes in.
Hope you’re as happy with it as I am. You do want to use a good belt with it (as with any holster). I use this Hanks Belt:

It’s a very thick belt, so you need a generous 1 1/2 in belt loop for it to fit.

I also used WLW's Break in Butter to help during break-in since they are pretty tight in the beginning. And follow their use and care FAQ, particularly the initial break in:

care-maintenance

I let mine sit in the gun/bag configuration for 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom